C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was the unveiling of the C6 as controversial as the C7

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 AM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Was the unveiling of the C6 as controversial as the C7

Or, for that matter, was any unveiling as controversial? Though I just bought my 1st Vette, the Corvette is not new to me. I was born 2 yrs before the Corvette and grew up admiring them and wanting one. I've watched through the generations. I remember seeing the C5 for the 1st time and saying, Wow. Then the C6 with a double Wow. I think the C6 is gorgeous. But was it received well or with controversy like the C7?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:43 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I remember seeing the debut of the C6 and Dave Hill talking to members of a Corvette club out in the lobby of the hall. Some were very happy but the response certainly was not unanimous at all. At that time, the headlights were the big controversial item. This time it is the taillights. Pop-up headlights are certainly passe, I don't think the same can be said of the C6 taillights.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:54 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My recollection is that the C6 was received very well - it was, to a large extent, an evolution of the C5, which folks had several years to get accustomed to. The C6 was not radical in changes, yet offered many improvements over the C5.

Earlier series changes were not initially received well. The C3's introduction left many questioning Chevy's design direction. And the C4, which was to be a technological marvel, disappointed greatly at first, plagued with many many problems.

But time is a great elixir to all ills and the various series of Corvettes have always been embraced ultimately. C1, 2, and 3 models now command unimaginable prices versus their cost new.

Another thing to remember is that we are now living in a global information environment that both moves at the speed of light and embraces millions and millions of subscribers. None of the previous introductions were held in quite such a opinion and information laden time. The C6 would be close, but the C5 was 17 years ago already and the C4 was 30 years ago, which are ancient times in the information age.

Last edited by michaelinmech; 02-15-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:55 AM
RMcoolX
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to view the threads that were posted when the C6 unveiled. Does anyone have a link to it, or them?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:59 AM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Like everyone else who are into cars ,I couldn't wait to see the new C6. My first impression of the car didn't WOW me. It looked like a C5.5 to me. There were some improvements but nothing over the top. I was hoping for great seats , better not great. Some things I really hated, steering wheel "05 dough boy" and placement of SAT antenna, again fixed in 06. I was moved to purchase a 04 Commemorative Z06. the C6 didnt get my attention until the NEW Z06 , with its wide body. If the car had that looked like that in 2005 I would have purchased a base car. Then when the base price increased by 5k to a 07 Z06 and then valve issues with 427 for that year, was reason enough to stay with my 04 and not trade up. I hope GM dosent make similar mistakes with the new C7. IN all the car seems great on paper. Im afraid with all the new tech in the car "84 flashbacks", all the bugs are worked out for GM sake. As for myself Im on the fence about a 2013 427 convertible purchase or C7. The interior of the C7 looks a little cramped, hope not. I need to see the car in person before making final judgment.

Last edited by KABAL182; 02-15-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:11 PM
SG4206
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember the headlights being a big deal ; since 1963 all Corvette's have had hidden lights!
The liberal left had GM remove their first Vet commercial from TV; because a child was driving his dream car.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I remember seeing the debut of the C6 and Dave Hill talking to members of a Corvette club out in the lobby of the hall. Some were very happy but the response certainly was not unanimous at all. At that time, the headlights were the big controversial item. This time it is the taillights. Pop-up headlights are certainly passe, I don't think the same can be said of the C6 taillights.
Many did not like the headlights and the rear also had many ney-sayers. I didn't particularly like it at first, but now hate to see it go. The C7 is (or will be thought to be) outstanding!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:44 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Another thing to remember is that we are now living in a global information environment that both moves at the speed of light and embraces millions and millions of subscribers. None of the previous introductions were held in quite such a opinion and information laden time. The C6 would be close, but the C5 was 17 years ago already and the C4 was 30 years ago, which are ancient times in the information age.
The reason I mentioned the C6 is because of the info age. I suspect the forum was open at the time of the C6 unveiling. So I wondered if there was such controversy then. I suspect the C2 was controversial because it was a radical departure from the C1. But information was not as easily shared in '63.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:16 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by RMcoolX
I would love to view the threads that were posted when the C6 unveiled. Does anyone have a link to it, or them?
Here are a few.

NO WOW FACTOR

STYLING

COMMERCIAL

WHAT DO YOU THINK

LIKE IT OR NOT

Last edited by EVRose; 02-15-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My memory tells me the debut of the C4 was as big or bigger than the C5, 6 or 7. There was no 1983 built for the public and the hype surrounding the C4 was massive.

I saw it, and never like it. I kept my C3.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:14 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by EVRose
It's funny how many said no and they drive C6's now
Old 02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Thanks EVRose. Reading through some of those threads was informative. Looks like many were not impressed with the C6 either. Isn't it funny how people generally tend to line up on 2 sides. One side says that new is bad and the old is better. the other side is looking for the next great thing to come and have to have it just because it is new. Then there are the scant few who dare to take a stand somewhere in the middle of the two
Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by KABAL182
Like everyone else who are into cars ,I couldn't wait to see the new C6. My first impression of the car didn't WOW me. It looked like a C5.5 to me. There were some improvements but nothing over the top. I was hoping for great seats , better not great. Some things I really hated, steering wheel "05 dough boy" and placement of SAT antenna, again fixed in 06. I was moved to purchase a 04 Commemorative Z06. the C6 didnt get my attention until the NEW Z06 , with its wide body. If the car had that looked like that in 2005 I would have purchased a base car. Then when the base price increased by 5k to a 07 Z06 and then valve issues with 427 for that year, was reason enough to stay with my 04 and not trade up. I hope GM dosent make similar mistakes with the new C7. IN all the car seems great on paper. Im afraid with all the new tech in the car "84 flashbacks", all the bugs are worked out for GM sake. As for myself Im on the fence about a 2013 427 convertible purchase or C7. The interior of the C7 looks a little cramped, hope not. I need to see the car in person before making final judgment.
That's my recollection as well.

Originally Posted by JW@JWMotoring.com
It's funny how many said no and they drive C6's now
I was one. It took me 5 years to come around.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
My memory tells me the debut of the C4 was as big or bigger than the C5, 6 or 7. There was no 1983 built for the public and the hype surrounding the C4 was massive.

I saw it, and never like it. I kept my C3.
1984 was a big deal, but no Internet. So it was a different world then.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by J Vette
The reason I mentioned the C6 is because of the info age. I suspect the forum was open at the time of the C6 unveiling. So I wondered if there was such controversy then. I suspect the C2 was controversial because it was a radical departure from the C1. But information was not as easily shared in '63.
There was about the same buzz. Of course the Forum dates back to the C5 days, 1999. Just before that most of the buzz came from the Official Corvette Registry.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,558 Likes on 1,640 Posts

I remember thinking the back end of the new C6 seemed "squashed" in at the time and a bit to flat for my taste. I read somewhere they had to do the rear end that way, because they were chasing the european market and needed the car to be "shorter".
Old 02-15-2013, 03:38 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

All I know is what I said when I saw it and that was 'DAMN, I gotta have one of those"!My heart skipped a beat too.Love at first sight. I did not feel anything close to that with the unveiling of the C7.I have tried to like the look of the new one,but it just ain't happening for me. The C6 is my perfect fit.

Get notified of new replies

To Was the unveiling of the C6 as controversial as the C7

Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Thanks for the links

It's Awesome reading some of the posts.
We could change the 6 in C6 with a 7 in those 9 year old posts, then copy and paste them into threads in the C7 forum.
Nobody would know the difference
Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by J Vette
Thanks EVRose. Reading through some of those threads was informative. Looks like many were not impressed with the C6 either. Isn't it funny how people generally tend to line up on 2 sides. One side says that new is bad and the old is better. the other side is looking for the next great thing to come and have to have it just because it is new. Then there are the scant few who dare to take a stand somewhere in the middle of the two
I thought and still think the C5 is the better looking car. The whole package more uniform and flowing. The C6 more edgy, surfaces and interior textures all cobbled together. But significantly quieter and improved performance. Over 10 years later the C5 still looks fresh and appealing.

I had way more problems with my early C6 than with my '99 C5. First year and all. It will be interesting to see what nagging defects GM has in store for us this time! Late 2004. early 2005 was an interesting but frustrating time for C6 owners on the forum.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:47 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

The C4 was as poorly received as the C7 as I remember it. I did not like it then and still really don't . I think we are seeing the new C4 myself.

Quick Reply: Was the unveiling of the C6 as controversial as the C7