C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the forum, three questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:05 AM
Don_SA
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum, three questions

Hello everyone

I just registered and hope to be buying a new Corvette by the fall when my BMW lease runs out. I have a car for everyday transportation so my goal is to buy a new Corvette and keep it a very long time. I have pretty much decided on a C6 and how I got there smacks of deja vu' to me. Back in 1998 I went to a Mazda showroom to see the new Miata. I ended up leaving with a 1997 first generation Miata because of the deal and I loved the car. I still have it today, only 41k miles on it! Likewise, the new Stingray blew me away and as I did my research I see the awesome deals on the C6 cars. Seems like an awful lot of car for the money and I don't think I will have the maintenance or very expensive repairs I would have on a Porsche or BMW if I keep it ten years or more as I plan to. I do not drive my cars especially hard but they do get some exercise.

There is an awful lot of info on this forum and though I have done my searches I am having problems getting the information I need in a concise form. I hope a few of you would be so kind as to help me out here.

1) My goal is ideally a 2LT with no other options, or a 1LT with no other options. Am I likely to be able to find one in October? I don't want to have to pay for a lot of things I do not want or care about.

2) If I am thinking long-term ownership, am I likely to have less problems with an automatic or a manual? My initial inclination was the manual would have less to go wrong (save a clutch repair) but it seems that some folks say the manuals have more issues.

3) It seems many people think the paddle shifters suck? Do they not change gears promptly when you shift? I have had BMWs with both the DCT (dual clutch) and STEPTRONIC (slushbox/torque convertor) and both of them shift when you ask them to.

Thanks everyone. This looks to be an awesome forum and I look forward to being a part of it, and hope to join you as a Corvette owner soon! When I get it I am driving it down Route 66!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:21 AM
mcc978
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,’18,’19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

1) Don't see why you wouldn't be able to since there are quite a few out there and people tend to sell or trade to upgrade or to get a family car.

2) My A6 has been trouble free for the five year I've had my vette. I also know someone who has over hundred thousand on his Z06 and his clutch was still in good condition when he had it changed at about 105k miles.

3) My paddles respond promptly to gear changes with the paddles for up shifts and most down shifts. There is delay at times when trying to down shift at freeway speeds.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

First off - welcome to the Corvette Forum

1. I think the selection will be good enough. Especially since you can look nation wide with the Internet.

2. Reliability of manual and auto seems to be a non issue. They are both reliable. Get which ever one you want.

3. I have heard some complain and some say no prob, so I can't help you there. For me it's a non issue cuz I'm an MN6 guy.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Don_SA
...My goal is ideally a 2LT with no other options, or a 1LT with no other options. Am I likely to be able to find one in October?...
If you're looking for a brand-new C6, I think it's unlikely you'll find one in October.

But you might get lucky finding a leftover, like this 2012 1LT for $39,850: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-d...3-500-off.html (convenient if you're in No. Calif.)

OTOH, I expect there'll be a nice selection of low-mile late-model used C6s for many years. After the all-new C7 hits the streets this Summer, should be lots of folks wanting to trade-up.

Patience & persistence is useful. Just be ready to pull the trigger when you find the right deal.

Enjoy your search!
Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 AM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Dude, the right deal is waiting for you right now at Boardwalk Chevrolet.
2012 1LT for $39,850. That is a great deal and you'll get the great financing on a new car.
Manual is great.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 AM
427 Pilot
Safety Car

Good Luck with your decision!

Welcome to CF
Old 02-15-2013, 06:05 AM
87C4_4spd
Drifting

Good luck with your search and welcome!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:29 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by 427 Pilot
Good Luck with your decision!

Welcome to CF
Same here.

If you're going to wait until October, I would read up in the "sticky" section of each forum, and continue to get educated.

I would also find the local corvette clubs in your area, and I'm sure you will see members that will take you rides in their vettes, and you will learn sooooo much more that way too.

I have a manual, so you are welcome any time for a ride in mine if you are ever in the Daytona Beach area, but it may convince you to go for a stick
Old 02-15-2013, 08:31 AM
Ozzy12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should go with a manual if its what you want it's more fun.

As far as your time period waiting, you may want to look sooner. Right now if you have a competitor lease you'll get around $2000 in conquest cash. Also, instead of looking at early termination or paying out your car and turning it in, call and get a buyout on the lease and see if a dealer will give you that in trade. In most states, this will save you sales tax on a new car purchase. I've had a lot of leases and never once turned one in. Like in Ohio if your BMW is worth 25k that would save you $1,650 in sales tax and you'd get your 2k rebate so you would be $3,650 ahead. Obviously if your Beamer is more expensive that number just gets bigger for you.

Just my two cents, welcome to the forum and good luck on your search.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Cyber Greg
Dude, the right deal is waiting for you right now at Boardwalk Chevrolet.
2012 1LT for $39,850. That is a great deal and you'll get the great financing on a new car.
Manual is great.
There you go. Welcome to the Forum

No known problems with either tranny. I've had automatics in an 05, 07and now a 12. No problems at all.

Good luck with the hunt.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 AM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

1) there was a lot of speculation that people would stop buying the c6's once the C7 was revealed. from the looks of things, that isnt true. people are still buying. Finding the EXACT one you want in october may be difficult. Finding one close, with good incentives and financing will likely be simple enough though. the downside, you may have to get more options than you want, its a crapshoot.

2) I think they are both pretty reliable, and it depends on what you want. since it is not a daily driver, a manual might be more fun like mine is! I wouldnt want to shift a manual every day around here, especially since I drive over forty thousand miles a year, but thats what my truck is for. The vette is for playtime!!

3) its perosnal preference. Having been in many that have the paddles, they work fine. I think the real discussion comes from purists who claim it isnt a manual since there is no clutch, and from guys who dont want a clutch saying its just as good. Its the chevy/ford debate in diferent clothing. If you dont want to use a clutch, the paddles are fine.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Give Tommy @ MacMulkin Chevrolet a call. He has a huge inventory, discounts his Vettes, and is great to work with. He will answer any and all questions you might have and give you the best possible price you can imagine.
Many people on this forum have bought from Tommy and are more than happy. Give him a call.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 AM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by 87C4_4spd
Good luck with your search and welcome!
I think your questions have been covered.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

About getting a 1LT vs higher option package:

I'd suggest looking through the brochures to see what extras come with the higher packages, and compare with what you currently have/want. The higher packages do cost more initially, but much less than trying to add the items later, if they can be added at all.

Since you won't be using the car as a DD, options might not be important to you. But we sat down and looked at all the details before ordering our 2001, went with the 3LT package and were very happy. We also ordered 3LT on our 2006 and then 2009. But those were/are a DD and long distance road-tripper.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 AM
arrie
Simplify
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: forging ahead...making up for lost time and embracing each day thankful to be alive.... nj
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15
~~~ CFOT Book Folder ~~~
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by mcc978
1) Don't see why you wouldn't be able to since there are quite a few out there and people tend to sell or trade to upgrade or to get a family car.

2) My A6 has been trouble free for the five year I've had my vette. I also know someone who has over hundred thousand on his Z06 and his clutch was still in good condition when he had it changed at about 105k miles.

3) My paddles respond promptly to gear changes with the paddles for up shifts and most down shifts. There is delay at times when trying to down shift at freeway speeds.

what he said.

My A6 is awesome. I must say it did take a little playing to get the timing down with the paddles since there is no clutch which I am used to. At this point I almost have it down to a science. If you time it JUST right those paddles respond immediately if you ask me. And to me, it is the best of both worlds. If you are in traffic and don't want to be bothered slip it into automatic. Playing is no less fun with the paddles. I didn't choose them, my husband bought the car as a gift and he chose them. I was ticked frankly to not have a manual, but 6 months in, I am really loving the paddles. Thats my opinion anyway. And once you upgrade your exhaust/headers, those downshifts sound mean....you don't have to give up the fun....

best of luck. Check this forum for sales. Lots of people sell vettes all the time. Winter (depending on where you are) might be a good time because many people garage them in the winter and end up selling them....

Old 02-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I suggest you choose the type of transmission based on your driving preference instead of speculating on which may (or may not) be more reliable. If this is a car to drive, enjoy and keep for many years why settle for a transmission you may not want. My impression is that both the automatic and the manual-shift transmission are more than reasonably reliable....both are fine. Everyone has their own preference (and there's no right or wrong) but IMO driving a high performance Corvette with an automatic transmission is a huge letdown. The Corvette automatic/paddle-shift transmission lacks the precision and control afforded by the manual-shift. Good luck finding the Corvette you want. Keep us posted......
Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Look under C6 dealer inventory. Lots of brand new C6's at great prices. Some models are very basic, some are loaded. You just might find what you are looking for. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To New to the forum, three questions

Old 02-15-2013, 12:21 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Don_SA
Hello everyone

I just registered and hope to be buying a new Corvette by the fall when my BMW lease runs out. I have a car for everyday transportation so my goal is to buy a new Corvette and keep it a very long time. I have pretty much decided on a C6 and how I got there smacks of deja vu' to me. Back in 1998 I went to a Mazda showroom to see the new Miata. I ended up leaving with a 1997 first generation Miata because of the deal and I loved the car. I still have it today, only 41k miles on it! Likewise, the new Stingray blew me away and as I did my research I see the awesome deals on the C6 cars. Seems like an awful lot of car for the money and I don't think I will have the maintenance or very expensive repairs I would have on a Porsche or BMW if I keep it ten years or more as I plan to. I do not drive my cars especially hard but they do get some exercise.

There is an awful lot of info on this forum and though I have done my searches I am having problems getting the information I need in a concise form. I hope a few of you would be so kind as to help me out here.

1) My goal is ideally a 2LT with no other options, or a 1LT with no other options. Am I likely to be able to find one in October? I don't want to have to pay for a lot of things I do not want or care about.

2) If I am thinking long-term ownership, am I likely to have less problems with an automatic or a manual? My initial inclination was the manual would have less to go wrong (save a clutch repair) but it seems that some folks say the manuals have more issues.

3) It seems many people think the paddle shifters suck? Do they not change gears promptly when you shift? I have had BMWs with both the DCT (dual clutch) and STEPTRONIC (slushbox/torque convertor) and both of them shift when you ask them to.

Thanks everyone. This looks to be an awesome forum and I look forward to being a part of it, and hope to join you as a Corvette owner soon! When I get it I am driving it down Route 66!
First welcome to the forum.
I just bought a Velocity yellow with ebony interior coupe last week.
With MN6 speed and 2LT package. I plan on trading this in for the new C7 in the fall. Since it is not my DD it will not have a lot if miles on it if your looking at that time frame to buy one. Of course you didn't specify what color you wanted, but I would be happy to sell it to you at that time. Just let me know. BTW, the manual trans is quicker then the auto. It has a higher gear ratio for better off the line launches. Mines babied and will never be for the track.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
About getting a 1LT vs higher option package:

I'd suggest looking through the brochures to see what extras come with the higher packages, and compare with what you currently have/want. The higher packages do cost more initially, but much less than trying to add the items later, if they can be added at all.

Since you won't be using the car as a DD, options might not be important to you. But we sat down and looked at all the details before ordering our 2001, went with the 3LT package and were very happy. We also ordered 3LT on our 2006 and then 2009. But those were/are a DD and long distance road-tripper.
I too would reconsider buying a 1LT or 2LT. IMHO, they're pretty stripped down.

If you want a lot of the neat options, you need to go with the 3LT or even 4LT package.

When looking for a used C6 recently, I didn't even consider 1LT and 2LT models.

Several people in my club who have low option models wish they would have stepped up and bought the upgrades.

Just sayin'

Chuck
Old 02-16-2013, 03:41 PM
ButchN
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
I too would reconsider buying a 1LT or 2LT. IMHO, they're pretty stripped down.

If you want a lot of the neat options, you need to go with the 3LT or even 4LT package.
He said he didn't pay for a lot of things he did not want or care about.

I also felt the same way & I bought 1LT.

For me, it was a great choice.

I was able to buy a new, not used, Corvette & at a price well within my budget & should I decide to add those extra items later, I can do so at a considerable fraction of the cost of having them come with teh car.

Case in point, my car came with painted wheels, chome was a $2K option.
I bought a set of chrome wheels from House of wheels for less than 1/2 the cost of new, delivered, already $1K+ saved & the wheel were new & OEM.

I've bought "loaded" vehicles in the past & in the end, your usually paying for stuff you'll rarely or never use.

And far as resale, it's all relative as to what you paid as to what you'll get, should you sell.

Quick Reply: New to the forum, three questions