C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire replacement?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 AM
renegade10
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tire replacement?

After 24K miles I need front tires on my 06 vert. I intend to replace them with Goodyear run flats for $836.23 out the door. My question is I assume the tire pressure monitor has a battery within each rim some ware that may need replacing after 7 years. If so does anyone know the type of battery so I have it with me for replacement when they mount the new tires tomorrow. Thanks, Harry
Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

tire pressure sensors are sealed in that you dont replace their battery, you replace the entire piece.
there are several versions based upon the year of the car, just ensure you get the ones that go for your year.

Last edited by ChevyDave; 02-13-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You'd think there'd be a replacement battery for the C6 TPM sensors.

But no, there isn't.

Or you might think someone would've figured a way to cobble-in a replacement battery -- like was done for the C5 sensor.

But no... I believe the only option is to replace the entire C6 sensor.

Related discussions:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...o-replace.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-new-tpms.html
Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyDave

...there are several versions based upon the year of the car, just ensure you get the ones that go for your year.
Excellent reminder!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

If I were getting new tires on a 06, I would just replace the sensors. I am about to replace one of them now on my car. It will save you lots of trouble later to just go ahead and replace them.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM
arrie
Simplify
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: forging ahead...making up for lost time and embracing each day thankful to be alive.... nj
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15
~~~ CFOT Book Folder ~~~
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
If I were getting new tires on a 06, I would just replace the sensors. I am about to replace one of them now on my car. It will save you lots of trouble later to just go ahead and replace them.
does the shop who mounts and balances the tire replace them? I am replacing the tires on my 06 in the spring. What is the cost? Any info appreciated.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:00 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by arrie
does the shop who mounts and balances the tire replace them? I am replacing the tires on my 06 in the spring. What is the cost? Any info appreciated.
since there are 3 versions (that i know of) based on year of your car, i just look up my year info in gmpartshouse. for your 2006, its about $60 per tps (there may be other cheaper sites)

http://store.gmpartshouse.com/parts/...agramCallOut=1

removed note: after reviewing manufacture of the tps i had shown here, i found rather bad results, so removed that pic. oem probably best

Last edited by ChevyDave; 02-13-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added note
Old 02-13-2013, 02:09 PM
richp5
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

On my '06 the fronts went out at 21K miles but still had enough tread on the rears to probably hit 30K. As the car was 6 + years old I figured it would be best to change all four tires. Even though most everyone here said don't do it I went to Costco and the manager personally changed the tires himself - I watched. No damage done and four Michelin A/S runflats with new TPMS, balance, installation & tax was just under $1,350. I had to order the tires from them but they were delivered in less than a week.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

They are on Ebay, as far as the aftermarket ones. do a forum search for tpms and you should get the part number.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Get stock sensors. Aftermarket can be risky from a reliability basis especially the Dorman ones. Bob at House of Wheels has good prices on the sensors. Make sure you buy everything you need and take them to the shop where they are changing the tires. New cars have been coming with sensors since 08 so they do enough wheels with tire pressure sensors the basic tire jockeys know how to change them and set them.

I suggest you do a walk around with the shop manager before you have change the tires. Make note of the wheel finish and condition before they start using any tools. Runflats are very stiff and there are tire changing machines designed to handle the tires but a lot of shops will not pay the extra money for one of those machines and they do the work on one less capable. Even with the correct machine it is easy to have a tool slip and ruin the rim's finish and even easier if they aren't using the correct machine.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-13-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Just a note, I have not tried the aftermarket ones yet. I had read that they work fine, so that is what I bought. I should find out this weekend if it works.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

[QUOTE=CO Lightfoot;1583112063]You'd think there'd be a replacement battery for the C6 TPM sensors.

But no, there isn't.

they should make the batteries replaceable i don't know what the thinking was their 3 0or 4 dollars a battery and then maybe a 5 dollar TPMS re- build verse replacing the entire sensors for $200.00 , anyway you should check out House of Wheels I just ordered factory oem sensors from Bob $180.00 shipped hes a forum vendor, as soon as i get them i'm getting my tires installed.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire replacement?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire replacement?