C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation tutorial updates

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Great info as usual Paul! Corvette NAV is definitely not one of the best out there but it is usable. Nothing beats a map in the end. My wife's Yukon's NAV couldn't find a shortcut in Wyoming that saved over 100 miles of driving. The wife asked how I knew about the shortcut and I showed her a road map. To tell you the truth I mostly use NAV units to let me know where I'm at instead of where I'm going.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:59 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
Paul

Would GM ever consider upgrading the User Interface on the existing Nav?

Since they are all Computer-based, GM could install a new operating environment similar to moving from one version of Windows to another. I know the most popular Nav vendors have done this in the past.

Thanks.
Not likely. The navigation unit in the C6 was previously shared with a few platforms which are now defunct. The C6 was an island. It was looked at previously and then the bottom fell out of the market with the recession. While GM has the capability, they don't own the technology. The unit is manufactured by Denso and they would ultimately need to make the change. With the end of the model run and the new unit not being supplied by Denso, well, you can guess the ending. Heck, they wouldn't even offer their best unit for the Corvette (or even GM for that matter) as their primary customer is Toyota.

Last edited by talon90; 02-16-2013 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 161 Posts

Paul

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Just had to ask?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Maybe just me as I have a hearing loss, but I was not able to understand what was being said on the video presentation. Really respect the information and want to hear it.........
Old 02-16-2013, 08:01 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Travelor
Maybe just me as I have a hearing loss, but I was not able to understand what was being said on the video presentation. Really respect the information and want to hear it.........
The audio is a little muted at the beginning of the first video. I wasn't initially using a microphone. It gets better about a minute in to video one and stays about the same level for the rest of one and through two and three.

It has lost some fidelity due to the compression and upload to YouTube. If you would like, send me your address in an email or PM and I can send you a DVD that will play on any household DVD player.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Talon90, PM sent with address.

Thanks,
George
Old 02-19-2013, 12:03 PM
JPJR
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Default "OFF" button

Just downloaded the pdf and looked thru it.
Thanks!

What is the "OFF" button in the upper left of most screens?
Intuitively, I would think this is an off button for exiting the navigation system and going back to the crossed flags display.
It doesn't actually seem like a "button" though.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by JPJR
Just downloaded the pdf and looked thru it.
Thanks!

What is the "OFF" button in the upper left of most screens?
Intuitively, I would think this is an off button for exiting the navigation system and going back to the crossed flags display.
It doesn't actually seem like a "button" though.
When the word "Off" in the top left corner is displayed it indicates that the audio system is off. It will display anytime you are in navigation mode (map or navigation menus) and press the volume (power) button. It isn't actually a button but a display.

The only way to get back to the crossed flags screen is to be in one of the audio modes (FM, AM, XM, CD or AUX) and press the power button.

With the nav system, it is persistent, once on, there is no "off" for the GPS. It is intended to always be on. The only way for the nav to not be operating is to not press the "I Agree" button on start up.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Yule
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my new '13 GS on Presidents Day. The salesman input my home address into the NAV and it took me on a roundabout way to my home in Manhattan. I then turned the car off without deleting my home address or doing anything else to the NAV other than turning the car off. How do I erase that destination, so that when I start the car again, I can just listen to the radio or not have anything going on, without the NAV interrupting and directing me to my home address? Did my home address get erased when I turned the car off? All I want is to start the car, not be bombarded with directions to my home and either listen to the radio, or not.

Thanks very much,
Ken
Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Yule
I picked up my new '13 GS on Presidents Day. The salesman input my home address into the NAV and it took me on a roundabout way to my home in Manhattan. I then turned the car off without deleting my home address or doing anything else to the NAV other than turning the car off. How do I erase that destination, so that when I start the car again, I can just listen to the radio or not have anything going on, without the NAV interrupting and directing me to my home address? Did my home address get erased when I turned the car off? All I want is to start the car, not be bombarded with directions to my home and either listen to the radio, or not.

Thanks very much,
Ken
Ken,

The destination will remain until you cross the geographic location where the directions were trying to take you. There can be differences between the physical location and the address. If you don't "arrive at your destination" it will keep trying to get you there.

To clear this, press the I Agree button and then press the menu button on the map. From the main menu press the route options button. At the lower right of the screen press the cancel guidance button.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 PM
p1100
Heel & Toe

Great site, thanks.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Thanks Paul
Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Yule
Racer

Originally Posted by talon90
Ken,

The destination will remain until you cross the geographic location where the directions were trying to take you. There can be differences between the physical location and the address. If you don't "arrive at your destination" it will keep trying to get you there.

To clear this, press the I Agree button and then press the menu button on the map. From the main menu press the route options button. At the lower right of the screen press the cancel guidance button.
Paul, I did not actually cross the geographic location represented by the address input into the NAV when I took delivery of the car. I drove to my garage instead. If I drive to my apartment building and "arrive at my destination", will the NAV go quiet then? Is there anything I have to press on the NAV at that point? I will be reading the NAV instructions carefully this weekend. Did not have time when I took dellivery and in the excitement, left all that stuff in the car which is in the garage, blocks from my home.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Jim, pretending to be Paul:

As he said, the Nav will keep trying to get you to cross over the bullseye which shows the destination. If you stop short, it will think you are still trying to get there when you resume driving. I don't know how close you need to come to the bullseye, but it's pretty close. Since the Nav database does not always have street numbers perfectly (neither our C6 nor our two "other make" cars), you may be at the physical destination but the nav thinks you need to go another 100 yds. Or if you go past it on a side street, that's not good enough either.

Also, my experience is that even after you cross the bullseye, the system will stop giving you directions but it leaves the bullseye there for reference; until you enter another destination somewhere else. Then, the original bullseye will disappear.

You should be able to eliminate the directions and maybe the bullseye, by using Paul's suggestion: with nav screen visible, press Menu>Route Options>Cancel Guidance>Yes.

Hope this helps, Paul will add corrections as needed.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 02-21-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:01 PM
rappini
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Nav

Paul, here is a question that I think I know the answer but I have to ask, is there a way to update my 2009 LS3 nav to the latest and greatest maps with out cheating GM?

Rather than post in the original Navigation thread which is buried in the MegaThread of stickies, I just wanted to post a couple of updates for the forum with all the new members and first time C6 owners we are seeing. I've been receiving a few requests for the tutorial over the last few weeks and thought this might be a good time to refresh.

Some of you may be aware that I authored a tutorial to help owners make the most of the navigation system in the C6 Corvette as at a minimum it can be difficult to use and it is not very intuitive when compared to the portable units from Garmin and TomTom that folks have become used to. Don't let that dissuade you. It is a very powerful system and quite capable when you get comfortable using it.

Some of you may also be aware that I have had the opportunity to present a few seminars on the navigation system at the National Corvette Museum during some of the on site events and I have some video footage of one of these presentations. The video's are a quick fix for a few common problems and will be good for those that prefer "visual learning" over reading.

I have uploaded these videos to YouTube and added links to them on my website. I have also converted the PowerPoint I was using to PDF and made a link available for that on my site as well.

I keep all the navigation information on the Tech Tips page of my site. Not to be confused with the "Navigation" link on the site which is a smartphone/tablet formatted version of the tutorial that can be used for quick reference if you don't have a PC or the printed version available.

Here is a link to my site:

www.theredlion.us

Enter the site and click on the TechTips link. Scroll to the bottom and you will find the Tutorial available as either six individual installments or one complete document. You will also find the links for the three video segments of the presentation and the PowerPoint available to follow along in PDF format. Hope it helps.

Paul [/QUOTE]
Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks, as always a lot of help.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:57 AM
shipahoy
Pro

Received 521 Likes on 200 Posts

I am a new C6 owner and the link http://www.theredlion.us/ does not work for me.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:23 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by shipahoy
I am a new C6 owner and the link http://www.theredlion.us/ does not work for me.
That site no longer exists, but I did make a PDF of how I use memory points to make the Nav easier to use.
The Nav manual does exist
http://www.c6registry.com/Technical/...6navManual.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
NAV Using Memory Points.pdf (1.30 MB, 36 views)

Quick Reply: Navigation tutorial updates