C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People with black wheels, what do you do ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 04:56 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Default People with black wheels, what do you do ? ?

Im wanting to swap out to some black wheels on my C6 and have a question.
What do you do about the valve stem..
Here are my wheels. but I want to go all black.. Wheels, lugs and stems. ?
Any thoughts...

Old 02-11-2013, 05:07 PM
jwaldro2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want those wheels too. I have the ones you have powdercoated black. Anyway if you get them from house of wheels you will get black lugs and center caps. Ask them if they can get you black stems, if not ask gene and the guys at gmpartshouse. If they cant I would go ahead and install them and see what it looks like. If it sticks out like a sore thumb, plasti dip them. I would think they would be ok but its just my opinion lol
Old 02-11-2013, 05:19 PM
MachineSilver05C6
Advanced

I got these from summit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mc...model/corvette

They are really nice but a little pricey. More of a black chrome look but match my wheels really nice. I didnt go with a black valve stem. If i would of thought about it i probably would have. Unless your up close it dont stand out to bad.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Black lugs are everywhere and black valve caps. You cant even see the valve stem with black valve caps....
Old 02-11-2013, 08:05 PM
lmello211
Advanced

i intend to buy the same centennial wheels in satin for my silver car. nice pix. does anyone know if there is a difference in quality on the repros sold via the 2 bigger vendors on the forum or are they made buy the same mfg overseas ?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
Black lugs are everywhere and black valve caps. You cant even see the valve stem with black valve caps....
I have the black lugs on order.. gorilla's I was just wondering what everyone does with the stems.. Im just gonna wing it and see how they look... like you said I hope you cant even see them..
Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 PM
87C4_4spd
Drifting

My factory black wheels came with chrome lugs and valve stems. I may change the lugs out at some point.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by 87C4_4spd
My factory black wheels came with chrome lugs and valve stems. I may change the lugs out at some point.
I have a breand new set of chrome ones in the garage.. Ill be bringing both with me when I swap them out.. I may want to leave a little chrome .... well have to see..
Old 02-11-2013, 10:56 PM
GS2013RTINT
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Getting my wheels black chromed asked the SDMA to orderme a set of black chrome lugs from Gorilla. Seen they sell complete sets lugs, locks, stem covers and caps.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Cant even see em right? Unless your looking for them and even when you do...they match with the rotors so ..who cares.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:19 AM
hongkongstewy
Racer

Originally Posted by Cor430vette

Cant even see em right? Unless your looking for them and even when you do...they match with the rotors so ..who cares.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 AM
trading tiger
Instructor

You can't see the valve stem on my gloss black factory wheels unless you're up close and specifically looking for them. I do intend to get some black valve caps, but that's more about the crossed-flag emblem than trying to completely black out my wheels.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 PM
rsssguy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Centennial GS vert 6 spd Callaway. If your looking for really nice caps, go to harbor freight. I bought like five sets. They are a whopping 3 bucks. I did my wheel barrels in carbon mist metallic and put the black lugs on. I just ordered a second set of Centennial center caps that I'm having painted with the same paint code as the wheel. Up close, you can see the valve stem assembly which kind of bugs me so I'm going to probably spray them when I take wheels off to install new center caps. Sometimes say those harbor freight caps were my favorite addition since nothing else I've done has cost me 3 bucks
Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Why not just use a rubber (blk) valve stem? Thats what I have.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was a bit ludicrous and I laughed as I watched him do it but a friend of mine cut some black heat shrink tubing and pushed onto the valve stem then used a black plastic cap. That completely concealed the stem and blacks it all out.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 AM
ddanis60
Racer

Originally Posted by QWKSRT
I thought it was a bit ludicrous and I laughed as I watched him do it but a friend of mine cut some black heat shrink tubing and pushed onto the valve stem then used a black plastic cap. That completely concealed the stem and blacks it all out.
Thats a great idea.. Simple too.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:17 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I took my parts off (cap and nut) and painted them black. Last about 2 yrs before they need repainting. Best to spin the tire so the valve stem is at the top to prevent it from falling in. They have a tight fitting
seal but why risk it.

Get notified of new replies

To People with black wheels, what do you do ? ?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:43 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by QWKSRT
Hmmm.
I bought black caps and was told that the sensors do not come with black stems. I thought about taping everything up and painting the stems black. Like stated above, with the black caps on there you can't see much of the stem.
Not the best angle, but it's the best I have.

Last edited by spdkilz911; 02-13-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 PM
SeeFiveOhFun
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Not quite black (matte gunmetal) and originally I wanted black lug nuts also but ended up with chrome. And since the center caps on the TSWs came polished, I thought it was a nice look that gives the wheels more depth and some contrast (but of course, opinions will vary). I Didn't change the valve stems but did buy black stem caps. Good luck on getting your favorite combo!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeFiveOhFun

Not quite black (matte gunmetal) and originally I wanted black lug nuts also but ended up with chrome. And since the center caps on the TSWs came polished, I thought it was a nice look that gives the wheels more depth and some contrast (but of course, opinions will vary). I Didn't change the valve stems but did buy black stem caps. Good luck on getting your favorite combo!
Nice rims, I have a black vette not sure if I wan to go black or gray? where did you get them?

Quick Reply: People with black wheels, what do you do ? ?