C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm going to use the paddles when really getting on it

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Default I'm going to use the paddles when really getting on it

The auto modes are great for driving around town, but when get deep into the throttle, I think I am going to stick with the paddle shifters. Sometimes an unexpected (uncontrolled) downshift can break the tires loose without warning, and I have read about some bad consequences for some other owners on this forum. Especially on curves.

I think I can control the car a lot better when shifting with the paddles when driving aggressively because I don't get any surprises from the transmission.

Kind of the best of both worlds for me, I think. The auto modes just don't cut it for me when driving aggressively. I need more control.

Maybe everyone already does this, but I thought it would be something to consider, if not. I think it could help avoid an injury or accident for someone.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I'm thinking you shudda got a manual....
Old 02-11-2013, 04:47 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

I always leave the car in sport just in case I need to hit the paddles..but I like using them around town more. And with the NNP i get that nice gurgle on my down shifts..

And if you have a tune and had the trans tweeked its even better...
Old 02-11-2013, 05:30 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Surprised it took six years to reach that point. But now that you've seen the light I absolutely agree with you. Especially in iffy conditions (rain, low temps, etc) i want to control the shifts myself.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:31 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by Red Racer
Old 02-11-2013, 05:46 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,648 Likes on 2,359 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Old 02-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Surprised it took six years to reach that point. But now that you've seen the light I absolutely agree with you. Especially in iffy conditions (rain, low temps, etc) i want to control the shifts myself.
I have only driven the car a few 100 miles...
Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

I do like manuals, but I really like this auto. I can always take control and shift it when I want.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:20 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

In the twisties and on on and off ramps I also use the paddles to be in the right gear. It's a smart transmission but sometimes it chooses a gear lower than desired. BTW, manuals are slower than autos....
Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 277 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

Originally Posted by TerryL
In the twisties and on on and off ramps I also use the paddles to be in the right gear. It's a smart transmission but sometimes it chooses a gear lower than desired. BTW, manuals are slower than autos....

Incoming
Old 02-11-2013, 08:12 PM
GS_V
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
The auto modes are great for driving around town, but when get deep into the throttle, I think I am going to stick with the paddle shifters. Sometimes an unexpected (uncontrolled) downshift can break the tires loose without warning, and I have read about some bad consequences for some other owners on this forum. Especially on curves.

I think I can control the car a lot better when shifting with the paddles when driving aggressively because I don't get any surprises from the transmission.

Kind of the best of both worlds for me, I think. The auto modes just don't cut it for me when driving aggressively. I need more control.

Maybe everyone already does this, but I thought it would be something to consider, if not. I think it could help avoid an injury or accident for someone.
I got these special leather gloves from a supporting tuner here on CF... they are special paddle-shifting gloves. The finger tips have this special carbon fiber material that will give you a better, more precise feel when up or down shifting. The "connect" the driver to the car..... After 5 minutes of driving, you and the car become ONE!!!!

just messin with ya, I drive a manual

Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GS_V
I got these special leather gloves from a supporting tuner here on CF... they are special paddle-shifting gloves. The finger tips have this special carbon fiber material that will give you a better, more precise feel when up or down shifting. The "connect" the driver to the car..... After 5 minutes of driving, you and the car become ONE!!!!D
Just a step too far. I, for one, am sooo unhappy I bought a car with a dumb transmission.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 PM
plmkrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GS_V
I got these special leather gloves from a supporting tuner here on CF... they are special paddle-shifting gloves. The finger tips have this special carbon fiber material that will give you a better, more precise feel when up or down shifting. The "connect" the driver to the car..... After 5 minutes of driving, you and the car become ONE!!!!

just messin with ya, I drive a manual

Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

No doubt about it.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

As someone pointed out years ago (and it's in the owners manual which I failed at reading ): The further you mash down on the go pedal the lower gear the tranny will down shift to. If you punch-it to the floor or close proximity it will down shift several gears. If you push down on the accelerator a small percetage it will only dowshift one gear.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
As someone pointed out years ago (and it's in the owners manual which I failed at reading ): The further you mash down on the go pedal the lower gear the tranny will down shift to. If you punch-it to the floor or close proximity it will down shift several gears. If you push down on the accelerator a small percetage it will only dowshift one gear.
I hear what you're saying but I move the stick...just sayin...
Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,217 Likes on 828 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller

After a few more miles you'll find the paddles are too slow...I did use then in town but usually because I wanted it to stay locked in a particular gear...

The tranny really works well in auto but you have to learn the rpm ranges top avoid it going up two or three gears on hard acceleration (getting you in trouble)The one thing the auto can do with amazing accuracy is shift into low from fourth say at about 40 mph...that gets your attention...lol Make sure you are pointed straight. Everything else though is meh...

Keep practicing and you'll learn the engine rpm and car speed verses throttle position and you can always make it do your bidding..

Get notified of new replies

To I'm going to use the paddles when really getting on it

Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
After a few more miles you'll find the paddles are too slow...I did use then in town but usually because I wanted it to stay locked in a particular gear...

The tranny really works well in auto but you have to learn the rpm ranges top avoid it going up two or three gears on hard acceleration (getting you in trouble)The one thing the auto can do with amazing accuracy is shift into low from fourth say at about 40 mph...that gets your attention...lol Make sure you are pointed straight. Everything else though is meh...

Keep practicing and you'll learn the engine rpm and car speed verses throttle position and you can always make it do your bidding..
You are right, I'm sure, but for now I think I'd better use the paddles. I'm sure I'll get a better feel for it in time.

I think it would be easier if the throttle response was more linear, but it seems like not much happens for most of the travel, then all of a sudden it kicks down and the tires break loose.

Maybe I just need more practice with the car. I think I'll go for drive...
Old 02-11-2013, 09:59 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

Paddles are awesome, especially with a TCM tune. Much more responsive.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:09 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by berk4422
Paddles are awesome, especially with a TCM tune. Much more responsive.
Yup.. I hade local tuner hook me up with some great shifts... Its awesome, with or without the paddles...

Quick Reply: I'm going to use the paddles when really getting on it