C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feel like I'm driving on ice with Hankook tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 PM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Feel like I'm driving on ice with Hankook tires

I recently purchased 2 Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 for the rear tires. I have Micheline Pilot non run flats on the front. I had Pilots on the rear but had a slow leak due to a torn bead. Couldn't just replace one tire.
The tire dealer said the Hankooks were as good as the Pilots. The car drifted as soon as I got the tires. I had a 4 wheel alignment.
It gets worse the faster I go. On the freeway at ~75-80 mph it feels like the car is trying to drift into the next lane and not always to one side. I am always having to correct. I'm afraid of hitting a slight bump and really losing it. Could it be the side walls are to stiff. Maybe the Pilot's side wall was softer and could absorb the road bumps. Anyone have experience with Hankooks? As soon as I pay my taxes these Hankooks are coming off. I have about 500-700 miles on them. BTW, the dealer and Hankook wouldn't take the tires back. They'll be an Ebay item.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:48 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

Sounds more like a suspension or alignment issue. V12 Evo's are great tires.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Location: ,fl.Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I had my hankooks for over 21k miles and haven't experienced the issues you have.
Fwiw I don't track my car but I reached the speeds you spoke of,actually I'm lookin to buy another set of V12's.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

I had the same tires on my 2005 C6. Love them. Way better than the crappy stock run flats I had. I ended up getting the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 based on the review by Car and Driver. It came in 2nd place when being compared to the Michelin PS2.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 PM
mundo
Drifting

Originally Posted by SK360
Sounds more like a suspension or alignment issue. V12 Evo's are great tires.
I had a 4 wheel alignment done to the car. I have the Z51 suspension. The car is really tight. No play at all in the steering wheel. No squeaks or rattles at all in the car.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I ran two sets of them on my 2005 and never had that issue, expect when they were just a couple of days old, but that's to be expected out of a brand new tire. Sounds like you either have a pressure or alignment issue, regardless I hope you get it figured out!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

I have had my Hankooks on for over two years now. I use the 15 most everyday and have hit triple digits on it at times! I also have the z51 set up. Never have any issues with the tires. I think they are great. Are you running stock wheels? BTW, I did not have the car realigned after I put the tires on. Sounds like you have other problems and not with the tires.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:00 PM
mundo
Drifting

Originally Posted by KX
I have had my Hankooks on for over two years now. I use the 15 most everyday and have hit triple digits on it at times! I also have the z51 set up. Never have any issues with the tires. I think they are great. Are you running stock wheels? BTW, I did not have the car realigned after I put the tires on. Sounds like you have other problems and not with the tires.
The car was stable as hell with the Pilots in the rear. These tires feel like they are trying to grab and grip at everything in the road. If you drive the I-15 everyday then you know what they did with the freeway. CalTrans puts grooves in the freeway lanes for water run off. Usually these grooves go with the natural grain of the concrete and the dotted line go with it. Recently when they expanded the freeway the grooves went one way and the dotted lines of each lane went another. My Hankook tire want to follow the grooves. I have a hell of a time keeping the car in the lanes. I've had the car checked out (suspension wise). All is fine. I had the alignment after I got the tires thinking it may be the source of the problem. Helped a little. It was worse before the alignment.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:07 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I know you don't want to take this chance, but it could be the fact that you are running two different compound/tread tires from front to back and each handles the grooves differently. I'd bet things would be more predictable with the hankooks on the front as well; but not sense in experimenting with something you're already unhappy with.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:36 PM
driver71
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a set of V12 evos on my 05 Z51 and think they are great tires. Your saying that they want to run with the grooves and are trying to grab and grip at everything on the road,,,isn't that the sign of good tires? I mean that's what we're looking for aren't we? I'm thinking the two different compounds might be having an effect on the car. Good luck and hope ya figure it out..
Old 02-11-2013, 05:43 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats one reason not to mix brands on a car... even though the separate brands are on the same axle. Its not as critical on a car with S rated tires...but when you get into low profiles with Z speed ratings, the tire constructions can cause strange differences.. they dont make good bed partners.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:12 PM
mundo
Drifting

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
thats one reason not to mix brands on a car... even though the separate brands are on the same axle. Its not as critical on a car with S rated tires...but when you get into low profiles with Z speed ratings, the tire constructions can cause strange differences.. they dont make good bed partners.
You're probably right.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM
EBvette02
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Do you have a buddy there, that you can trade wheels to test drive with. That will tell you real quick if its the tires.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

My daughter's Sonic came with Hankook tires and it was like they were on ice in the cold. This is a FWD. I put Michelin Defenders on it and they are fantastic in comparison. Her tires were all seasons.

Don't know if the ones for the Corvette are different but based on the tires that were on my daughter's Sonic, Hankook can keep their tires.

Mixing tires is bad though. Basically you have two options that may fix it. Buy Michelins for the rear (since you didn't have problems with them before or Hankooks for the front. I don't think it is the car since you didn't have a problem before.

It could also be a screwed up alignment.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

My car also tries to follow the seams in the road, but it is nothing uncontrollable. All of my sports cars have done that, and even my daily driver does it here and there depending on the depth.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 PM
bugsas99
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from Michelin Pilot Sport ZP run flats to Hankook non run flats. And the ride is so much better. And noise is way better. As far as mixing run flats with non run flats. I think that is what your problem is. Hankook non run flats weigh 5 lbs less than the Michelin run flats. and the sidewalls arent going to be as stiff. 2 totally different tread designs also. I just dont think it is a good idea to mix tires on a C6 Corvette. These cars are real sensitive to things. Go all runflats or not.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:07 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

ride height could be the problem. one reason mixing tires is a bad idea is their heights and characteristics are different.

this isn't just a car thing either. i replaced two tires on my truck with new tires and a different brand. truck was floating all over, replaced the front two with the same and it's perfect.

if the rear tires are taller the rear end will feel floaty. it's probably not the tires, you should have just replaced all 4 when you did the deal

that said the v12 isn't as good of a deal on a c6 as it is the c5. on the c6 the so4 and DW are similar priced and better
Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

If you are serious about finding out what the problem is, come to my house some day and we can pull off my front wheels with the Hankooks and put them on your car! Then take it onto 15 and see. I live a mile and a half off the freeway just before Lake Hodges going south.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^^Very nice and (unusually) kind offer from KX above. j/k about the "unusually" and still a very nice offer to test it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Feel like I'm driving on ice with Hankook tires

Quick Reply: Feel like I'm driving on ice with Hankook tires