C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ever purchase a new C6 out-of-state to be shipped to California?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 02:52 PM
o2baZR1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Default ever purchase a new C6 out-of-state to be shipped to California?

i'm considering purchasing a new 2013 from a dealership out-of-state, with shipment directly from the factory to California rather than the northeast state.

regarding emissions: GM says the order MUST specify code YF5 for California or NB8 to cover 50-state. it cannot be "NC7: Override: Federal Emission" and "NE1: Emission: CT/MA/MD/ME/NJ/NY/OR/PA/RI/VT/NJ/OR/WA" as the current order specifies.

have to say though, the woman at GM Cust Asst didn't even know that order banks are closed for 2013 C6s. that's not a real good sign for reliability. told her she should read this forum.

the Chev dealer in Cali who is willing to accept delivery, says a sticker on the car must specify that it meets California emissions standards. the dealer in the northeast says his cars DO meet 50-state emissions standards.

hard to believe an American car of this price range would not be 50-state emissions legal, but Cali does have some picky regs.

at the moment, I'm waiting for a call back from the DMV to discuss it with them. northeast Chev dealer says he'll send me a photo of the sticker on a C6 at his store that specifies Cali, so I'm waiting for that now.

Have you ever bought new from an out-of-state dealer and dealt with the California emissions situation? Details?

Last edited by o2baZR1; 01-31-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 PM
o2baZR1
Racer

yeh, i'm 65 miles from Boardwalk, but they don't have Crystal Red/ebony in manual and are not going to be getting any.

northeast dealer has what i want at a good price, just need to ensure that the emissions thing does not jam me up.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:38 PM
l8-apex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can they not do some sort of dealer to dealer transfer, so that you actually make the purchase from the CA dealer? That might eliminate any complications.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Tom45
Pro

Originally Posted by o2baZR1
yeh, i'm 65 miles from Boardwalk, but they don't have Crystal Red/ebony in manual and are not going to be getting any.

northeast dealer has what i want at a good price, just need to ensure that the emissions thing does not jam me up.
I don't know the answer to your question, but I had that concern too and eventually in California so I didn't pursue it any further. I also would't trust what someone at the DMV tells me over the phone without written documentation such as a copy of the State regulation.

When you find an answer, please post it as I am sure others are interested in it.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I ordered mine from Maxie Price in Georgia, picked it up at the museum and drove it home to California. I ordered it with option NU4-California system, lev2 plus. That was in 2005. When I got home I had to have it inspected by the DMV or AAA. All they wanted to see was the hood emblem shown below that says California. I had to get a smog test also but I don't think that is necessary if you pick it up at a dealer. If you pick it up from a dealer they should handle all of this for you.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 PM
o2baZR1
Racer

the largest 2 dealerships are on the east coast and Cali is the most populous state with lots of Vettes, so i think eventually someone will reply to this thread with something useful based on their personal experience.

i did get a photo of a 2013 C6 sticker emailed to me which said: US EPA class/std: LDV/ tier2 (which means light duty vehicle and tier 2, lady of the phone at dmv didn't know)

California class/std: PC/ULEV qualified (passenger car/ultra low emissions vehicle)

But DMV and Cali Air REsources Board is saying therre should be a sentence on a sticker that says: "This vehicle meets California emissions standards...."

I hate to be a pain but i need to be sure before i pull the trigger.

Last edited by o2baZR1; 01-31-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:02 PM
o2baZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I ordered mine from Maxie Price in Georgia, picked it up at the museum and drove it home to California. I ordered it with option NU4-California system, lev2 plus. That was in 2005. When I got home I had to have it inspected by the DMV or AAA. All they wanted to see was the hood emblem shown below that says California. I had to get a smog test also but I don't think that is necessary if you pick it up at a dealer. If you pick it up from a dealer they should handle all of this for you.

yeh, it literally says "certified for sale in California".

I'm working with Mac Mulken in New Hampshire. don't wanna act like i'm talking behind someone's back, but i need this to be 100% no-problem or at most, an easy fix. i hope for a good result, and of course such information should promote anyone else in Cali feeling comfortable about purchasing from out of state too.

Last edited by o2baZR1; 01-31-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by o2baZR1
the largest 2 dealerships are on the east coast and Cali is the most populous state with lots of Vettes, so i think eventually someone will reply to this thread with something useful based on their personal experience.

i did get a photo of a 2013 C6 sticker emailed to me which said: US EPA class/std: LDV/ tier2 (which means light duty vehicle and tier 2, lady of the phone at dmv didn't know)

California class/std: PC/ULEV qualified (passenger car/ultra low emissions vehicle)

But DMV and Cali Air REsources Board is saying therre should be a sentence on a sticker that says: "This vehicle meets California emissions standards...."

I hate to be a pain but i need to be sure before i pull the trigger.
I just went through this with my 2012 GS which I bought new out of Portland Or. All I will tell you is be DAMN sure it is certificed for sale in Calif. Otherwise you will have a very expensive boat anchor. The Portland dlr went as far as to fax a picture of the sticker on the side of the hood to the Calif Air Resorces Board before I bought the car and got the official OK.
Good Luck...
Old 01-31-2013, 04:25 PM
o2baZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by ittlfly
I just went through this with my 2012 GS which I bought new out of Portland Or. All I will tell you is be DAMN sure it is certificed for sale in Calif. Otherwise you will have a very expensive boat anchor. The Portland dlr went as far as to fax a picture of the sticker on the side of the hood to the Calif Air Resorces Board before I bought the car and got the official OK.
Good Luck...
yes, i think it's that one on the SIDE of the hood that specifies 'cert for sale in California'. also, this car is to be built any day, and transported directly from the factory to Cali, so i can't actually get a photoof this specific car , but Mac Mulken says all his cars are 50-state certified. MM did send me a sticker photo of a 2013 C6, but it's not the sticker on the side of the hood. emailed Tommy Jr and waiting to see if he's got a sticker photo that has that full sentence statement of 'cert for sale in California...."

I should be able to get the info directly from GM though, as this is a vehicle ordered for dealer stock...provided that i had some identifying order number to give them.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:30 PM
o2baZR1
Racer

just got an email reply back from Tim at Boardwalk here in Cali (i sent him the photo of the sticker Mac Mulken sent me), and he says, yes it will meet California emissions.

so...................................... ....

?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 PM
l8-apex
Instructor

Is Boardwalk going to do the registration and title work with DMV? I would think that should alleviate any worries, but I would still set up the deal such that 'no CA title & reg, no purchase'. IN WRITING.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Must have the sticker in place on the car. Passenger side of engine hood on the flange. States clearly that that car is legal in California..
Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM
o2baZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by l8-apex
Is Boardwalk going to do the registration and title work with DMV? I would think that should alleviate any worries, but I would still set up the deal such that 'no CA title & reg, no purchase'. IN WRITING.
good idea.

i just emailed Tim to see if he'd accept the courtesy drop. was going to do it through a different dealer. last time i was at Boardwalk, a sales colleague of Tim's expressed interest in my Honda daily driver, so that'd give them an opportunity to make more off of the transaction. i'll see what develops and post results.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM
RJ98Vette
Racer

I bought my 2011 Grand Sport from Ken Fichtner in Montana, saw it at the factory and had it shipped by to California by Intercity.

To register it in California I had to have it smog checked (with only 50 miles on the car) and then it was just a visit to the DMV with all the required forms. It was a bit of a pain but nothing too horrible.

Robert
Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM
o2baZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by RJ98Vette
I bought my 2011 Grand Sport from Ken Fichtner in Montana, saw it at the factory and had it shipped by to California by Intercity.

To register it in California I had to have it smog checked (with only 50 miles on the car) and then it was just a visit to the DMV with all the required forms. It was a bit of a pain but nothing too horrible.

Robert
thanks.

what i keep hearing though is that it MUST have that sentence-long certification ON THE STICKER. dmv and cali air resources board both told me that.

*Tim just said he can't accept the delivery. bummer.

Last edited by o2baZR1; 01-31-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:12 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Those guys at macmulkin have a great reputation, and sell a LOT of vettes. They wont mislead you intentionally. Ask for the picture and make it a condition of sale and you will be fine.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I have purchased 5 vettes in the last few years from out of state dealers. It does vary from year to year on what the sticker says. All cars are identical emissions wise if they are made for the US. California in their infinite stupidity says they want the sticker to say its california approved even though the emissions are the same and have been since 96.

Good luck trying to speak to arb or dmv about it as they are both incompetent and stupid and dont know their own regulations.

So, if you are buying a 2013, the sticker will say its 50 state approved and its acceptable in Ca. (I bought my 2013 from MacMaulkin in New Hampshire, flew out there from so. cal, picked up the car and drove it across the country ). The car must be smog checked, in vin verification (actually an emissions sticker check), then pay your ca sales tax on your out of state purchase, pay your registration fees and you are all set. My 2009 GT1 Z06 which was purchased in Ohio emissions sticker actually said CA approved, but my 2009 coupe purchased in Iowa was not CA approved sticker even though I was told that it was. If you have doubt just ask the dealer to take a pic of the emissions sticker and send it to you so you can be sure.

Get notified of new replies

To ever purchase a new C6 out-of-state to be shipped to California?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

By the way , thank you for posting this thread. I, too, am in California and plan on buying a Z06, possibly out of state, in the coming months.

This info is crucial.

Do you know if the same applies to used cars, e.g. a car with 8K miles from out of state, does it also need that sentence on the sticker that explicitly mentions California?

It is a bit ridiculous that this topic should be so convoluted.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:28 PM
o2baZR1
Racer

Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ98Vette

Robert
I had the same problems with 6 miles on the OD....be sure the car is delivered to you with what is called a ''Birth Certificate''...it accompanies the car from the factory. That will be converted into a pink slip by DMV. You will have to have it smogged (Yea @ 6 miles on my car I had to have it smogged) Cal will hit you for reg and sales tax so stand by to be screwed. That is one big check to write.
Anyway, it's not that bad but make an appt w/ DMV before you go in for a VIN verification...it will help.

Quick Reply: ever purchase a new C6 out-of-state to be shipped to California?