C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options button not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Although I don't have any of these problems (yet), reading this thread makes me dizzy and depressed.

Can someone explain to me why we are better off now than we were 30-40 years ago when all we had was simple starting, ignition, charging, and accessory electrical circuits, and a real key to start the engine?
Old 09-28-2014, 06:50 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,190 Likes on 2,680 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Although I don't have any of these problems (yet), reading this thread makes me dizzy and depressed.

Can someone explain to me why we are better off now than we were 30-40 years ago when all we had was simple starting, ignition, charging, and accessory electrical circuits, and a real key to start the engine?
Ahh! The good old days!

I mean this in the kindest way possible: there is no putting that horse back in the barn. There are still plenty of older, neglected, cars that have very few electronics and maybe a carburetor or two that still need loving.

Personally, I'd rather drive a car with more foo-foos than drive a car that I had 30 or 40 years ago, as much as I loved them, then.

I love not having to pull a key out to get into/start the car, and I've had more problems with a key system (on more than a couple cars) than I've ever had with the proximity fob.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:48 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Just speculating here, but maybe you guys pining for the "good old days" are actually car thieves trolling the Forum who are p'd off because they cant slim-jim the door open and hot-wire the ignition.

Given the number of C6's on the road and the comparatively small number of fob-related problems posted that aren't the result of operator error or confusion, IMHO the technology works very well.

YMMV.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:48 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Just speculating here, but maybe you guys pining for the "good old days" are actually car thieves trolling the Forum who are p'd off because they cant slim-jim the door open and hot-wire the ignition.

Given the number of C6's on the road and the comparatively small number of fob-related problems posted that aren't the result of operator error or confusion, IMHO the technology works very well.

YMMV.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:45 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by **** jockey
just speculating here, but maybe you guys pining for the "good old days" are actually car thieves trolling the forum who are p'd off because they cant slim-jim the door open and hot-wire the ignition.

Given the number of c6's on the road and the comparatively small number of fob-related problems posted that aren't the result of operator error or confusion, imho the technology works very well.

Ymmv.
gfy.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:36 AM
high9s
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bruze im with you. Imo you reach a point of diminishing returns. We had to get rid of keys why???? I never had a problem with a key. I do like the computer aspect of being able to make big hp on pump gas and still run cool and get good mpg.

Stability control was started by Porsche to keep its well heeled customers from killing themselves in the 930 turbo, fun car I have one. Now the nannies have taken over. I know you can turn them off, most don't and never really learn to drive their car.

I know I will get flamed for my opinion, the Ducati crowd flames me for turning off traction/wheelie control. It's funny, my 230 hp hayabusa never had that stuff and I'm still here...must be magic!

Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited by high9s; 09-29-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

gfy.
Apparently you can't grasp sarcasm.

Sheesh.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:28 PM
rrmracer9
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lot's of fun talk. I also have a 57 2dr post with a good running 350. Lots of fun, no computer, very few wires and easy to work on. I would never try to compare it to the C6. Just have to love them both the same. Kinda like your kids. Now back to the subject. My options button is still not working. Had the FOBs reprogrammed today back to 1 & 2 so I removed that variable. As a side note, I did have the instrument cluster out last week to replace the HUD. Has anyone had success solving the issue of the options button not responding? Again, all else works fine.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Bawana
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone fixed the problem of the DIC buttons not working? I have a similar problem. My fuel and reset button work only, I too replaced the cluster with a new one and still the same.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:09 PM
ISeeRed
Racer

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't find any good answers, so I thought I'd post my findings.

If your DIC says "Options Unavailable" it is probably that the key is not 1 or 2 as noted in this thread. If it doesn't do a darn thing when you push the options button, it is most like the cluster. If it is not the original cluster programmed to the BCM from the factory, It probably shut down the memory portion of the cluster. This happened on a car I was working on after disconnecting the battery for some engine work for a couple of days.

Swapping the dash cluster (not the buttons -- the entire dash cluster) brought it back. I can't verify this, but I venture if you had a Tech 2 you could probably make the non-functional cluster work, but I don't have access to one.

Hope this helps somebody..... It always helps to share what we find out!!

Last edited by ISeeRed; 06-16-2019 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 06-17-2019, 11:27 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ISeeRed
I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't find any good answers, so I thought I'd post my findings.

If your DIC says "Options Unavailable" it is probably that the key is not 1 or 2 as noted in this thread. If it doesn't do a darn thing when you push the options button, it is most like the cluster. If it is not the original cluster programmed to the BCM from the factory, It probably shut down the memory portion of the cluster. This happened on a car I was working on after disconnecting the battery for some engine work for a couple of days.

Swapping the dash cluster (not the buttons -- the entire dash cluster) brought it back. I can't verify this, but I venture if you had a Tech 2 you could probably make the non-functional cluster work, but I don't have access to one.

Hope this helps somebody..... It always helps to share what we find out!!
The only problems I notice with the buttons (I only have buttons on the right side) that the white print has worn out and a few buttons no longer light up but they still work in as far as beeping but buttons are very loose. Same can be said for the door buttons for exiting in that those decals have worn out. It would be interesting for the illumination of these buttons if it would be possible to switch over to LED bulbs for the buttons for Display Information Center?

I got cost from dealership for these parts and it is like over $400 to have those few buttons I have replaced.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:48 PM
ISeeRed
Racer

Originally Posted by LS WON
The only problems I notice with the buttons (I only have buttons on the right side) that the white print has worn out and a few buttons no longer light up but they still work in as far as beeping but buttons are very loose. Same can be said for the door buttons for exiting in that those decals have worn out. It would be interesting for the illumination of these buttons if it would be possible to switch over to LED bulbs for the buttons for Display Information Center?

I got cost from dealership for these parts and it is like over $400 to have those few buttons I have replaced.

I've replaced the bulbs with LEDs in the past... I thought they were a bit too bright, but it was an inexpensive change. You just need a little soldering skills.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:39 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ISeeRed
I've replaced the bulbs with LEDs in the past... I thought they were a bit too bright, but it was an inexpensive change. You just need a little soldering skills.
The bulbs in the buttons? LED's should last longer. Soldering is one skill I don't have. How easy is this to do?

Quick Reply: Options button not working