C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To JiffyLube or not to JiffyLube, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 PM
jperaino
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never trust Jiffy Lube. They are full of horror stories. I use the dealer. They know corvettes and how much oil they take and what friction modifier belongs in the rear. Can you imagine Jiffy Lube doing a Dry Sump oil change? It is a small price to pay for peace of mind.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

TO CLARIFY....

I do indeed think that Jiffy Lubes suck. I also second the notion of how annoying it is that these places are always trying to upsell you. I happen to go by this one place that has pit underneath for one reason...they are absolutely fascinated by my car and call the same "The Batmobile." Due to the fact I have piqued their interest in the car they tend to take care of it not like their own but enough that I feel the job is being done right. I watch them crack the seal on all 6 quarts and make them show me the old Mobil 1 filter that they put on the car the prior oil change. I am always out of the car and they get the sense that I am watching closely and will tolerate no B.S. No problems, knock on wood, for the history of this car.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raspyc6
TO CLARIFY....

I do indeed think that Jiffy Lubes suck. I also second the notion of how annoying it is that these places are always trying to upsell you. I happen to go by this one place that has pit underneath for one reason...they are absolutely fascinated by my car and call the same "The Batmobile." Due to the fact I have piqued their interest in the car they tend to take care of it not like their own but enough that I feel the job is being done right. I watch them crack the seal on all 6 quarts and make them show me the old Mobil 1 filter that they put on the car the prior oil change. I am always out of the car and they get the sense that I am watching closely and will tolerate no B.S. No problems, knock on wood, for the history of this car.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Years I ago when I was a young man in college working in a shop part time I was one of those ones up selling you. Guess what. Its was all legit. Tons and tons of work needed and maintenance needed on those vehicles. Look,show and you shall receive. I did it all my life. To the tune ofi 100s and 100s of thousands of dollars A YEAR. Had a motto. Hoods up,trunk open and 4 on the floor. (spare tire was always flat) I sold tons of spare tires,new ones and used ones. I use to get awards I was so good.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:20 AM
ls36spd
Intermediate

Never ever. Use the dealer or a Corvette shop. I use a Corvette independent shop.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM
QueadlunnRau
Cruising

Originally Posted by ls36spd
Use the dealer or a Corvette shop. I use a Corvette independent shop.
Due to past issues, not doing a good job on servicing my truck, sales lying about a vette, locking my wife in a vette ... etc, I refuse to go to any of my local Washington Chevy dealerships (Man I miss Courtesy Chevrolet in San Jose, they were AWESOME)

I was going to change my oil last night, my pucks came in, got some rhino ramps, mobile 1 oil and a Mobile 1 filter ... silly Washington decided to start raining again -_- go figure. I don't have a covered garage which sucks =(

Looks like I will need to buy another house, one with a garage ... and who'd have guessed the wife is on board with this thought. ~_^

In the meantime, anyone know a good independent shop around the Seattle/Tacoma Area? I know google is my friend, but if anyone with a Vette has experience with a good shop I'd like to hear about it.

I read a post in another forum about Oil Can Henry's but is also a chain. O.o

Last edited by QueadlunnRau; 02-06-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I do my own oil changes.

I notice a lot of "white collar types" on this forum afraid to get dirt under their fingernails!!! LMAO!!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM
P0234
Pro

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I do my own oil changes.

I notice a lot of "white collar types" on this forum afraid to get dirt under their fingernails!!! LMAO!!!!
What do you mean white collar types?!?!?!?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:16 PM
JFFVETTE
Burning Brakes

I use JL for just the vette. I do my other three myself. I supply the Mobil 1 oil and Mobil filter, and give them enough oil to keep the level 1 quart below full. I bring a towel to cover the fender, and also stand there with them and check their work. When I get home (about 2 miles), I fill it to the proper level. I have never had a problem, and they are very professional with the work. They charge $15 for the labor and it works for me.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by P0234
What do you mean white collar types?!?!?!?
Are you saying you never heard the term white collar and blue collar workers? Lol
Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 PM
TxThunder06
Navigator

Def would not use Jiffy Lube. It has that name for a reason and I am sure it isn't because they are up to date on our beloved Corvettes. I do it myself and enjoy doing it. I get to spend time with my Son and teach him about being a " Motorhead ". Nothing like understanding horsepower and being able to dial things in yourself.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

Never! I always DIY or if you must take it somewhere use a shop that is familiar with Corvettes or a tusted dealer.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jim2003
No no no!!!
I do the oil changes on all our cars. I let it drain or drip for at least a half hour. I want every drop of old oil out. The shops do not have time for that.
You will never get every drop of old oil out.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Stockcar Axeman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corvettes of Auburn can take care of you. They are a family owned complete Corvette/muscle car service/restoration company with many happy customers.

Last edited by Stockcar Axeman; 02-06-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:53 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I would never repeat NEVER bring any of my cars to JL again! I had them (here in Charlotte) change my oil and replace the gear oil in the rear end of my Z28. They did not add the limited slip additive and burnt up the rear. I had a letter from the local Chevy dealer and all, talked with many at their corporate office and got no where. I have warranty on my Corvette to get my oil changed for Free and I WILL DO IT MYSELF. Nobody touches my car.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Even if they offered the service for free I would decline.
And if you don't trust the shop to do the work therefore you have to stand there and watch?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by raspyc6
TO CLARIFY....

margins are too thin on oil changes. they would go out of business if they didn't upsell. the $19.95 oil changes are actually done at a slight loss
Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Easy as shiz to do yourself...

Dont be cheap you own a corvette....buy these items below they are a 1 time cost and it will be much easier for you...

Buy these:
http://www.raceramps.com/
Dont jack it up ...thats a pain in the ***...drive up these in 2 minutes.

http://www.sears.com/search=torque+wrench?
You need this - dont go by feel or you will strip it like the kid at jiffy lube.....use logic.

Read this ...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...ge-the-oil.php

Its the first time that you have to make sure you have everything etc that makes it seem like a PITA....but after you do it a couple times its no more a pain in the *** then going to Jiffy lube, waiting around, then worrying they didnt even change your oil....

Honestly it is really easy.....

Last edited by Cor430vette; 02-06-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Its a PITA no matter how many times you do it yourself.

Quick Reply: To JiffyLube or not to JiffyLube, that is the question