C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Getting Headers Void Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM
JTA-Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Getting Headers Void Warranty?

I was just wondering if i got headers and had them installed by chevy will it ruin my warranty agreement? I have an exhaust all the way to the stock headers but i wanna change my stock headers to some B&B headers. If someone knows good headers list them in a comment below. Also i want loud headers (Loud exhaust system is music to my ears)
Old 02-04-2013, 10:35 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JTA-Vette
I was just wondering if i got headers and had them installed by chevy will it ruin my warranty agreement? I have an exhaust all the way to the stock headers but i wanna change my stock headers to some B&B headers. If someone knows good headers list them in a comment below. Also i want loud headers (Loud exhaust system is music to my ears)
It COULD void it but only for anything that the headers might affect.

A lot of the voiding BS is how your local dealer handles things. The friendlier you are with/ how much business you have done with your dealer can make a BIG difference!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:06 AM
JTA-Vette
Instructor

Also i have B&B x-pipe with no highflow cats, and a it goes into a bullet exhaust. Now the problem is if i get B&B long tube headers their are no cats anymore so does that mean its illegal to drive on the streets. Also what other headers hook up to my exhaust x-pipe that are good.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM
shawn672
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JTA-Vette
Also i have B&B x-pipe with no highflow cats, and a it goes into a bullet exhaust. Now the problem is if i get B&B long tube headers their are no cats anymore so does that mean its illegal to drive on the streets. Also what other headers hook up to my exhaust x-pipe that are good.
Yes, removing the Cats is illegal and depending on your state will likely fail inspection unless you "know a guy". There's little reason to go cat-less, spend the extra few bucks and save the environment.

Also, a few issues with your original post. "Chevy" is not installing the headers are you suggested, the dealer is. Most dealers will do aftermarket type service like this however if you blow your engine, they will be unlikely to cover it under warranty. I would assume too, that you're getting tuned to see the real benefit of the headers so be sure you research your tuner and make sure he knows he's doing as a bad tune could easily lead to engine failure.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Adding headers will not void your warranty

but

The Tune you need will void your warranty

Peace
Chip

Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn672
Yes, removing the Cats is illegal and depending on your state will likely fail inspection unless you "know a guy". There's little reason to go cat-less, spend the extra few bucks and save the environment.
Federal felony....... I'm always amazed at how many people ignore the law.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

IMHO there's no question about it.....adding long tube headers (with or without a tune) will void your power train warranty at the least. I know my local dealership takes that position. As mentioned, removing or altering the OEM cats is a violation of federal law except for offroad/track use. GM spends a lot of money engineering, building and providing warranty coverage on their vehicles. Any time you performance modify your car it is no longer the car GM engineered and built. My dealership aggressively denies warranty coverage for anything even remotely connected to a performance modification. I doubt any self-respecting dealership would remove the OEM cats, install long tube headers and say your full factory warranty is intact.

I suggest you contact the 'warranty' people at GM....explain to them you want to remove the factory cats and performance modify your car by adding long tube headers. Then ask if your full factory warranty will remain intact. I bet I know what they will say.

I'm all for performance modifying your car, however, if you're concerned about your warranty either wait until the warranty has expired or be willing to accept the financial consequences of your own actions...be willing to accept the loss of warranty coverage (or portions thereof). Again, if in-doubt contact GM and see what they say.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 AM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

American Racing!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:52 AM
JTA-Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by FiremanC6
American Racing!

I agree and I'm fine with going against the law, since the law was only established to keep this country in order and create a better America. Also is it fine to install headers and not run a tune or without the tune it will ruin my engine/transmission.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by Wayne O
IMHO there's no question about it.....adding long tube headers (with or without a tune) will void your power train warranty at the least. I know my local dealership takes that position. As mentioned, removing or altering the OEM cats is a violation of federal law except for offroad/track use. GM spends a lot of money engineering, building and providing warranty coverage on their vehicles. Any time you performance modify your car it is no longer the car GM engineered and built. My dealership aggressively denies warranty coverage for anything even remotely connected to a performance modification. I doubt any self-respecting dealership would remove the OEM cats, install long tube headers and say your full factory warranty is intact.

I suggest you contact the 'warranty' people at GM....explain to them you want to remove the factory cats and performance modify your car by adding long tube headers. Then ask if your full factory warranty will remain intact. I bet I know what they will say.

I'm all for performance modifying your car, however, if you're concerned about your warranty either wait until the warranty has expired or be willing to accept the financial consequences of your own actions...be willing to accept the loss of warranty coverage (or portions thereof). Again, if in-doubt contact GM and see what they say.
Only if they can prove it caused the damage...

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Peace
Chip

Last edited by CCA Corvette Parts; 02-04-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:58 PM
JTA-Vette
Instructor

All I have to worry about now is the no catless thing
Old 02-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA Corvette Parts

Peace
Chip
That's great for those ballers who have deep pockets and can afford the litigation, otherwise it isn't worth the paper it was printed on IMHO.

U.M.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:22 PM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the people's communist state of California headers won't pass the visual inspection and thus fail SMOG even if it passes the sniffer test.

I plan to get around it. I just purchased a manifold and cat off of a C6 Z06 which should give the same power increase as headers.

So when the comrade at the SMOG station looks underneath the hood he will see a GM manifold and not be the wiser.

Interesting, the LS7 exhaust manifold has a header for each exhaust port in it.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Wayne O

aw, jus' let'em do their own thang! after all, whatsa little ole headers gonna do the enviro?

course, OP did ask the question....so it looks like the verdic' is in---no agreement. you git to pick yer laws wif you're car. njoy!
Old 02-05-2013, 03:29 PM
shawn672
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CCA Corvette Parts

Peace
Chip
If there is power train failure and the car has aftermarket exhaust work... there's no proof needed really, there's a good chance the dealer/GM will deny the warranty claim and if you try to sue, they'll easily win. You directly modified a crucial part of the powertrain.

Now with that said, headers will NOT cause any damage, it would be such a small impact on the engine that you're more likely to blow a valve if it's an LS7 than you are to cause engine failure because of the headers. The tune, possibly, I've seen a ton of bad tunes but mostly on boosted (turbo/supercharger) platforms that caused major engine failure, you'd have to pick a pretty big idiot to badly tune your LSx engine...

I honestly wouldn't bother worrying about the possibility of:
1. engine/powertrain failure
2. voided warranty claims

Buy the headers, get a proper tune (there's a dozen on this site, also Trifecta Performance is great for remote tunes).
Old 02-05-2013, 03:30 PM
shawn672
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AORoads
aw, jus' let'em do their own thang! after all, whatsa little ole headers gonna do the enviro?
It's not the headers, it's the Catalytic Converters (or lack thereof)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 PM
CheeseHeadNinja
Intermediate

Originally Posted by carpe dm
Federal felony....... I'm always amazed at how many people ignore the law.
Felony? You sure? I believe that it's a federal law (EPA and all) but I can't believe it's a felony.

Last edited by CheeseHeadNinja; 02-05-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Does Getting Headers Void Warranty?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Stingray Chevrolet installed my LG long tubes w/ LG hi-flow cat's. I was told by the owner, his son and on down that I have no cause to ever worry about a claim being denied because I have headers or their hi-flow cat counterparts. The service manager echoed the same sentiment. I agree wholeheartedly that most all of this decision is based solely on the dealership itself and the relationship they have with you, the customer. Now that I have headers I would NEVER drive a Vette than did not have headers.

Last edited by raspyc6; 02-05-2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: because headers are the best mod ever
Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 PM
teuhl
Racer

I installed Stainless Works headers and hi-flow Catx on my 2008 Vette 4 years ago. I would highly recommend.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:04 AM
JTA-Vette
Instructor

Thank you all for your opinions and your advise

Quick Reply: Does Getting Headers Void Warranty?