C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you desensitized to your Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 AM
ishta
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you desensitized to your Corvette?

I've only owned my first Vette for a few months but I have noticed that I am somewhat desensitized to owning a Corvette. I guess I've gotten used to it maybe? Sometimes it takes a friend to remind me what I have or I will be driving down the road and get a look from someone and remind myself you are driving a CORVETTE ffs! Does anyone else have this happen to them? I am sure this has happened with other cars in the past but this is the first one I really took notice on.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 AM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ishta
I've only owned my first Vette for a few months but I have noticed that I am somewhat desensitized to owning a Corvette. I guess I've gotten used to it maybe? Sometimes it takes a friend to remind me what I have or I will be driving down the road and get a look from someone and remind myself you are driving a CORVETTE ffs! Does anyone else have this happen to them? I am sure this has happened with other cars in the past but this is the first one I really took notice on.
Yes me too. I have a GS and my other coupe friends lust over the wide body and big tires/brakes. I just see another corvette. But then there is that time when you just get done cleaning it up and see it in that certain light then you go WOW. This car is just beautiful. Then I drive it and its dazzles me too. But you are not alone.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 AM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the same way with my C5 sometimes. Still gives me a warm and fuzzy when I put it in 3rd on the highway and open 'er up though Same thing when I get into the twisty-bits
Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Magnum_Steel
Instructor

Originally Posted by ishta
I can relate but as the old saying goes, "you don't know what you got until it's gone" seems to come to mind. (Good Cinderella Song)

Human nature we tend to always want what we don't have and get used to what we worked so hard to attain that we forget what it was like when where saving and waiting for that right car to come along...
Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Using mine on weekends only has kept the novelty going.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 AM
ishta
Advanced

Originally Posted by Magnum_Steel
I can relate but as the old saying goes, "you don't know what you got until it's gone" seems to come to mind. (Good Cinderella Song)

Human nature we tend to always want what we don't have and get used to what we worked so hard to attain that we forget what it was like when where saving and waiting for that right car to come along...
Very true! I had a supercharged Mustang once that was pretty sick and once it was gone I missed it so much. Until I got my C6 I still hadn't found "the one" since that Mustang. Now I look back at that Mustang and am like..."meh" I have a Vette now lol...
Old 03-04-2013, 10:00 AM
HRS KLR
Instructor

I have only had the Vette for a couple of months now and when I am out riding with the wife at least once or twice she will look over at another car and say "What are you looking at?" and then go "Oh yeah, I forgot, we are in a Corvette"
Old 03-04-2013, 10:01 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I like my car, but when I pull into work and it didn't even cost 1/3 the price of a few of the cars in the lot I realize it is just a Corvette.

It's a great performance value, but in the end it's a production car. So.. sure. However, I'm sure some people reading this right now can't believe I'm saying this about the holy brand.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:11 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I like my Corvette, but here in upstate NY they are pretty common. So I would say most people are desensitized to Vettes in general.
As for me I am always looking to the next one whatever it may be and the ones that I let go, like my Porsche 911 turbo many years ago.
Not sure what is next, but for now, grabbing a few gears, breaking the rear tires loose and NPP open still does the trick for me.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:11 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Nope. Never.

You shudda got a red one.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 333 Posts

Having owned many since the early 70's (two for over 25 years before giving them up) my last one has really desensitized me to owning a Corvette. 6,200 miles in a little over six years and not driven since last October. Flame suit on
Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,434 Likes on 778 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I've been driving a Vette since 1985. I can't see myself not having one (or two).
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 AM
ishta
Advanced

Originally Posted by dvilin
I like my Corvette, but here in upstate NY they are pretty common. So I would say most people are desensitized to Vettes in general.
As for me I am always looking to the next one whatever it may be and the ones that I let go, like my Porsche 911 turbo many years ago.
Not sure what is next, but for now, grabbing a few gears, breaking the rear tires loose and NPP open still does the trick for me.
They are somewhat common in Alabama. I see 1-2 a week but it's usually the same ones. I have a few local friends who own Vette's as well. I love the performance and the attention!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

When I drive it every day maybe. Right now my truck is being painted so I have driven the Vette for the last 5 days. Ususally, I only drive it on weekends or occaisionally during the week, so I can't wait to get behind the wheel!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 AM
ishta
Advanced

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
When I drive it every day maybe. Right now my truck is being painted so I have driven the Vette for the last 5 days. Ususally, I only drive it on weekends or occaisionally during the week, so I can't wait to get behind the wheel!!!
Yeah I think the amount of time they are driven really has alot to do with how desensitized one can be. I have no choice but to drive mine daily right now so I guess that's why. I do find myself itching to drive it to work on Monday mornings though!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:36 AM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

My everyday ride is a big ol Ford Expedition. I never forget I'm driving my Z on the rare occasions that I can...
Old 03-04-2013, 10:46 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

My 08Z still makes me smile everytime I start it up. Great experience. Get a manual!

Get notified of new replies

To Are you desensitized to your Corvette?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 AM
COL-INF
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

My 0-5 is still in its cocoon with snow still piled up in the driveway. I guess the reduced driving time in the Northeast helps to keep the corvette experience "fresh."

In my case one hard tap on the gas and the whole mystique is back for me.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 AM
ishta
Advanced

Originally Posted by 383vett
My 08Z still makes me smile everytime I start it up. Great experience. Get a manual!
For me, a manual is the ONLY way to go. Until my back is totally gone(need two level spinal fusion as I type this) I will own a manual when it comes to a sporty car.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my 2011 in Oct 2011 and daily drive it. 19k miles and counting. It's never boring driving to work and I only work 10 miles from my house. I just got an A&A blower for it, so it will be even more fun!

Quick Reply: Are you desensitized to your Corvette?