C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

427 vs Z06 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM
tlr3715
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 427 vs Z06 Questions

Although I think the C7 is going to be a great car, I'm thinking I will stick with a C6 when my lease is up in about 3.5 years. I'm thinking of going with a used 2012-2013 Z06 or a 427 next time, and although that purchase is a long way off I still enjoy the research.

I would prefer the handling of the Z06, but I don't believe I can live with not having an open air car in the summer. I know the 427 uses a GS convertible steel frame, and therefore weighs more than the Z06, but I have some more questions.

1. How much more does a 427 weigh over a Z06?

2. What suspension components does the 427 use? Do the shocks/springs/sway bars match the GS specs more than a Z06?

3. Are other parts just as durable and race ready as the Z06 such as the rear end and transmission? (do they use the same transmission and gear ratios?)

4. Has anyone tracked a 427 and if so how was the experience?

5. Can you get a 427 with the carbon pieces and ceramic breaks? If not would it be possible to easily add the ceramic breaks after market?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

By "427", do you mean the 2013 convertible? GM/Corvette sites have a lot of the info you seek.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM
tlr3715
Instructor

From what I can tell from the web site. You can get a carbon fiber hood, but the "carbon fiber package" only adds carbon fiber pieces and does not replace any existing ones.

It also lists a magnetic selective ride control option, but it does not mention anything about PTM or the other performance features of the magnetic shocks that are available with the Z06. Which makes me believe it is the shock setup that is available on the base coupe and not meant for the track.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 PM
pmartjr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tlr3715
From what I can tell from the web site. You can get a carbon fiber hood, but the "carbon fiber package" only adds carbon fiber pieces and does not replace any existing ones.

It also lists a magnetic selective ride control option, but it does not mention anything about PTM or the other performance features of the magnetic shocks that are available with the Z06. Which makes me believe it is the shock setup that is available on the base coupe and not meant for the track.
I own a 427 Convertable and have asked these same questions in other threads. FWIW, the 427 does not share the PTM with the Z06, but from what I have learned, all the rest of the drive train and suspension components are same as the Z06. The magnetic ride control allows a tour mode, a sport mode and you can turn things off and use competition mode if desired. The touring mode is very compliant for street driving and the sport mode really keeps the car flat when driving more aggressive. The convertable is listed as about 160 pounds more than the Z06. There won't be many, if any, driving day experiences as there are no performance driving organizations that will allow a convertable without an appropriate roll bar. I won't be adding one to mine. As to the brake question, since the brakes are the big brakes which are standard on the Z06, I can't imagine that the ceramic brakes couldn't be added later. I do not believe they are an option on a new unit.

Last edited by pmartjr; 01-27-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,453 Likes on 785 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The hood and the front fenders are CF. There's also CF in the flooring. The weight difference between a Z06 and a 427 is about 160lbs (427 heavier). The brakes are the same as the Z06 and GS, you cannot order the ZR1's ceramics. I'd have to verify the trans and diff. I have not tracked mine so I can't tell you how it would act.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I believe the MSRC is a standard feature on the 427 'vert; optional on the Z06, but included with the Z07 package on the Z06.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
I believe the MSRC is a standard feature on the 427 'vert; optional on the Z06, but included with the Z07 package on the Z06.

Also, Z06s without Z07 package can get the F55 option for MSRC as well.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 PM
tlr3715
Instructor

If you were to select the MSRC option would the springs and sway bars be different?

Do the MSRC shocks on the 427 and non Z07 equipped Z06 handle as well during aggressive driving as the stock suspension package?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

I'm still hung up on your 1999 Firebird that's still on lease for another 3-plus years. Got to be a story there.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 PM
tlr3715
Instructor

The Firebird is not on lease. I have a 2012 Corvette Coupe... the one in my avatar... next to the Firebird.

The curb weight... I'll give you that one. It's listed on the website, so maybe I should not have included that one. But as for the suspension details... that's not so easy to find. For instance even after a few posts I still don't know if you select the MSCR shocks if they also replace other components like springs and sways with that option. For some reason GM usually does not make that type of information well known. I would also like to know how they handle when driven aggressively and how close they are to the Z06.

Sure my potential purchase is not anytime soon, but it's a Sunday, I have some extra time, and to be honest even if I keep my current Corvette forever, I would still be interested in knowing the answer to these questions, as I'm sure a lot of corvette enthusiasts would be.

It's the same reason I enjoy learning about the ZR-1 even though I will probably never purchase one.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

The Firebird is not on lease. I have a 2012 Corvette Coupe... the one in my avatar... next to the Firebird.

The curb weight... I'll give you that one. It's listed on the website, so maybe I should not have included that one. But as for the suspension details... that's not so easy to find. For instance even after a few posts I still don't know if you select the MSCR shocks if they also replace other components like springs and sways with that option. For some reason GM usually does not make that type of information well known. I would also like to know how they handle when driven aggressively and how close they are to the Z06.

Sure my potential purchase is not anytime soon, but it's a Sunday, I have some extra time, and to be honest even if I keep my current Corvette forever, I would still be interested in knowing the answer to these questions, as I'm sure a lot of corvette enthusiasts would be.

It's the same reason I enjoy learning about the ZR-1 even though I will probably never purchase one.
ZR1, not ZR-1, unless of course you are talking about purchasing a C4 ZR-1, those can be gotton for a song nowadyas.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

tlr, I think a few CF members have posted the specification comparisons of the F & R anti-sway bars & springs
for all the C6 models. Maybe searching more specifically will turn up those threads/posts, and at least answer
part of your question.

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 01-27-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,946 Likes on 5,343 Posts

Although I think the C7 is going to be a great car, I'm thinking I will stick with a C6 when my lease is up in about 3.5 years. I'm thinking of going with a used 2012-2013 Z06 or a 427 next time, and although that purchase is a long way off I still enjoy the research.

I would prefer the handling of the Z06, but I don't believe I can live with not having an open air car in the summer. I know the 427 uses a GS convertible steel frame, and therefore weighs more than the Z06, but I have some more questions.

1. How much more does a 427 weigh over a Z06?

2. What suspension components does the 427 use? Do the shocks/springs/sway bars match the GS specs more than a Z06?

3. Are other parts just as durable and race ready as the Z06 such as the rear end and transmission? (do they use the same transmission and gear ratios?)

4. Has anyone tracked a 427 and if so how was the experience?

5. Can you get a 427 with the carbon pieces and ceramic breaks? If not would it be possible to easily add the ceramic breaks after market?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Originally Posted by pmartjr
I own a 427 Convertable and have asked these same questions in other threads. FWIW, the 427 does not share the PTM with the Z06, but from what I have learned, all the rest of the drive train and suspension components are same as the Z06. The magnetic ride control allows a tour mode, a sport mode and you can turn things off and use competition mode if desired. The touring mode is very compliant for street driving and the sport mode really keeps the car flat when driving more aggressive. The convertable is listed as about 160 pounds more than the Z06. There won't be many, if any, driving day experiences as there are no performance driving organizations that will allow a convertable without an appropriate roll bar. I won't be adding one to mine. As to the brake question, since the brakes are the big brakes which are standard on the Z06, I can't imagine that the ceramic brakes couldn't be added later. I do not believe they are an option on a new unit.
If you are interested in going to a road course with a Vert forget about it unless you put in a rollbar. A cage would be better since it will hold up the A pillars which are unsupported in a Vert.

Bill
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you are interested in going to a road course with a Vert forget about it unless you put in a rollbar. A cage would be better since it will hold up the A pillars which are unsupported in a Vert.

Bill
I agree, these cars have been out coming up on a year and no posted times in anything, not drag racing, nothing. One guy posted a "friend of a friend" took it to the drag strip and posted some time, but he couldn't provide any slips, proof or anything. No forum member has posted any times. There is a reason for that. I am afraid, real speed freaks are buying Z06's and ZR1's and open top lovers who just want something more spirited than a Grand Sport are buying the 427's.
I believe there are a couple members who own both, but again, the 427 would be the "waxer" while the Z06 or the ZR1 would be the "performer".
Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM
tlr3715
Instructor

I guess that would be true. Chevrolet seems to be marketing them as collector cars, and I bet they attract the type of buyer who would keep it in a garage and drive it on the weekends... or not at all if they believe it is an investment. Which it may very well be if GM never produces another 7.0 or greater convertible. Only time will tell.

From what I've gathered so far is it basically a Grand Sport with Z06 suspension and the LS7, with the option of getting carbon fiber.... Which is not a bad thing. If you could take it on a track I'm sure it would place somewhere between a Grand Sport and Z06, how close to either or... I guess we will never know

Although I think it would have been bad *** if they offered it with the ceramic breaks and performance magnetic shocks like on the ZR1. It's a shame they didn't. I bed GM could have charged a fortune for them in limited production.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

tlr3715; You keep talking "Track Performance", IT'S A CONVERTIBLE!
You can't track it, all you can do is brag about the options.

BTW, it's BRAKES not breaks.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Moot point. In 3.5 years, you won't want to even look at a C6 unless you don't have enough money to buy the C7.

Same goes for right now. Most people buying a C5 are buying it because they don't want to spend the cash on a C6. Newer models always look better, perform better and feel newer.

Get notified of new replies

To 427 vs Z06 Questions

Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Between those two choices I would go for the 427. For all the reasons and differences mentioned above. It is a roadster! Got to enjoy top down touring in that car.

If you want the fastest and to track a car then select the Z06. GM gave a us choices for a reason. We can all be happy. Pick the one that works best for you.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeMaster
Newer models always look better, perform better and feel newer.
Well, maybe. The 1967 was a great model year. The newer 1968 model was proven over time to not to better. Compare prices now for the 68 vs the 67: not even close.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Madfence
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great Point 67 vs 68 price not even close. So i would say 427 vert because of one year and one year only. I actually have a 2007 Z06 and am picking up a new 60th anniversary edition at the end of Feb. Probably keep the z06 for 3-4 more years until they come out with a C7 ground- pounder. The 60th 427 vert will stay in the stable.

Quick Reply: 427 vs Z06 Questions