C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP WITH FRONT END PROBLEM (Female-not tech savvy)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Corvette50
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP WITH FRONT END PROBLEM (Female-not tech savvy)

Please let me know if any C6 owner of an automatic (I know--boo) purchased in 2005, or later has had this problem.

I have a jerking in the front end along with a sound like I'm running over something in the front end when I turn the wheel. Took the vette into the local GM dealership. They spent $3500 through Warranty Direct replacing a broken coil, whole steering column, said it was out of power steering fluid, etc. All parts were GM except for the rack and pinion which was supplied by Warranty Direct. Warranty Direct would not pay for replacing the wiring harness which the repair facility said it would probably need. That wasn't replaced.

After 9 days, I picked up my car on Friday. On Monday, I was pulling out of a parking space and the noise and jerking was worse than ever. I took it back to the shop. They first told me that the wiring harness needed to be replaced. When I asked if they were guaranteeing that it would fix the problem, they took a different plan of action. They are now telling me that there is nothing wrong with the car. That this is normal and is just the tires rubbing.

I have explained that I've owned the car since new (8 years) and it has never done this. It started about 6 weeks ago.

Any ideas, experiences, remedies will be greatly appreciated. I'm at my wit's end trying to get my car repaired as I know there is a problem. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:25 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Apparently the GM dealership is the one who is not tech savvy.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

normally you can have the service dept give you their 'service dept complaint resolution contact'. then work out the issue. if you are not satisfied, have them give you their managers name/number and call them.

in this case, i would pick up the phone book. look up lawyers in your area. make calls and see if any are a corvette 'lover' that would be interested in walking with you into the service dept and let them do all the talking. (for free would be nice)

small issues are NOT worth the effort to raise to level of a lawyer. But, sometimes you have NO choice but to speak softly and carry a BIG stick.

Last edited by ChevyDave; 01-24-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,108 Likes on 522 Posts

If the PS pump was empty I assume it was also replaced at the same time as the steering unit. If not it could be a damaged pump or it could be air in the lines causing it.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Corvette50

Please let me know if any C6 owner of an automatic (I know--boo) purchased in 2005, or later has had this problem.

I have a jerking in the front end along with a sound like I'm running over something in the front end when I turn the wheel. Took the vette into the local GM dealership. They spent $3500 through Warranty Direct replacing a broken coil, whole steering column, said it was out of power steering fluid, etc. All parts were GM except for the rack and pinion which was supplied by Warranty Direct. Warranty Direct would not pay for replacing the wiring harness which the repair facility said it would probably need. That wasn't replaced.

After 9 days, I picked up my car on Friday. On Monday, I was pulling out of a parking space and the noise and jerking was worse than ever. I took it back to the shop. They first told me that the wiring harness needed to be replaced. When I asked if they were guaranteeing that it would fix the problem, they took a different plan of action. They are now telling me that there is nothing wrong with the car. That this is normal and is just the tires rubbing.

I have explained that I've owned the car since new (8 years) and it has never done this. It started about 6 weeks ago.

Any ideas, experiences, remedies will be greatly appreciated. I'm at my wit's end trying to get my car repaired as I know there is a problem. Thanks!
See highligted.

This is normal with C6s, at low-speed sharp turns. More pronounced when it is cold outside.

You have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

I have an '05 A4 with 22K miles, are you talking about wheel hop, at slow speeds when making a turn the tires feel like they're skipping or hopping? If you have the Goodyear tires, I think this is a pretty common problem with them. I had it with the G/Y's, changed to Michelin A/S RF's and the problem disappeared. Not sure if that's what you mean....
Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,940 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Guys! Guys! She says she's had the car eight years and it's never done it before!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

well, maybe you could give us a hint since you've been here since '04. where do you live and are there other dealers you've been to? also, do you know of any corvette specific shops in your area? are you a member of a corvette club in your area? are there any?

these are all potential resources to solve, or lead you toward solving your problems., or at the very least getting a correct diagnosis, either that the situation is normal, or you need further work done on the car.

help us out, supply some more info.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Corvette50
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
well, maybe you could give us a hint since you've been here since '04. where do you live and are there other dealers you've been to? also, do you know of any corvette specific shops in your area? are you a member of a corvette club in your area? are there any?

these are all potential resources to solve, or lead you toward solving your problems., or at the very least getting a correct diagnosis, either that the situation is normal, or you need further work done on the car.

help us out, supply some more info.
I live in the DC area in a small suburb of MD. The local dealership, where I've been having it serviced, probably sells about 20 corvettes a year. I purchased this car from Criswell, which is a larger dealer in Rockville, MD. However, when I had my C5 in for a small scratch repair, they wrecked it.

I'll probably call Criswell or Kerbecks to see if they will give me some recommendations/insights over the phone. There is a dealership in VA, Koons, that has a good reputation.

I have the same brand tires that came on the car, probably Goodyear. The rear tires were put on last January and 3 months later I put on the front tires. No problems presented themselves.

Don't know what else I can tell you. Thanks for asking.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Corvette50
Racer

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Guys! Guys! She says she's had the car eight years and it's never done it before!
Thanks. I was going to say the same thing. Basically, why would it just start doing this thumping now? Doesn't make sense to me. I've pulled in and out of the same parking space for over 2 years and never any noise whatsoever.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Corvette50
Racer

Originally Posted by RobLo
I have an '05 A4 with 22K miles, are you talking about wheel hop, at slow speeds when making a turn the tires feel like they're skipping or hopping? If you have the Goodyear tires, I think this is a pretty common problem with them. I had it with the G/Y's, changed to Michelin A/S RF's and the problem disappeared. Not sure if that's what you mean....
The best way that I can describe it is like driving a 4 wheel drive vehicle and turning right or left. The only difference is the loud noise from the front end. While I'm driving it, it feels like a front wheel drive vehicle.
However, I will buy Michelin tires next time to see if that might fix it. Still doesn't make sense that it did not do this for 8 years.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 PM
MikeMaj82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny this popped up. I'm currently experiencing the same thing. I've had my '05 since April, and just started noticing it when it got extremely cold out. When backing out of my parking spot and turning the wheel, I hear and feel something bumping, like I'm driving over something. Then I hear it when I start moving forward with the wheel turned. It only does it when the steering wheel is completely turned to the right or the left though.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Corvette50
Racer

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
See highligted.

This is normal with C6s, at low-speed sharp turns. More pronounced when it is cold outside.

You have nothing to worry about.
I wish I weren't worried, but for the last month, I did not drive it on the highway. I hear you that your car does this, but mine never did. Until I get this fixed, I won't drive it on the highway.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Corvette50
Racer

Originally Posted by z06inVB
If the PS pump was empty I assume it was also replaced at the same time as the steering unit. If not it could be a damaged pump or it could be air in the lines causing it.
I'll ask about this. The repair order is with the vette, so I can't check it out. I'll ask about the pump tomorrow. Thank you.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 PM
michelve
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 60 Posts

i previously owed a 2006 model, and it had the same issue, it started making that annoying noise after 4 year i had it, never figured it. But i assure it is not normal, also, i took it to 2 diff dealers and none of them could not fix the issue.

good luck

Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 PM
11yellowgscpe
Burning Brakes

Call Criswell and talk to Mike Furman. He is a salesman but very knowledgeable on the Corvette. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 PM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 150 Posts

Sounds like 'skating'. Are tires worn and does it happen more when weather is cold vs warm?

Get notified of new replies

To HELP WITH FRONT END PROBLEM (Female-not tech savvy)

Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 PM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 150 Posts

'Skating' is when the tires slip against the pavement when turned to the limit. The wide tires have a tendency to fight one another because the inside and outside front wheels turn on different radii. It usually is only noticeable when the weather is cold. Warn rubber amplifies the problem. It's a normal thing, -especially on GS, Z06, ZR1 with very wide tires.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It sounds like the early C6 differential problem. It sounded like the noise was coming from the front but it was the rear. It also causes the rear tires to hop. It's a simple fix. The oil needs to be changed with the new and improved oil. My 05 did it. I hope it's that simple.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,665 Posts

This is strange indeed. The wheel hop, "skating" happened to my 06 when it was cold and I was using Goodyear tires. Ever since I swithched tire brands, I never experienced this again.
I'm assuming the dealer checked over the front end for any component failures, such as the shocks, sway bar links, composite spring, etc.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: HELP WITH FRONT END PROBLEM (Female-not tech savvy)