C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 01:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Android 7" tablet install in a C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 12:22 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull
honestly if you're interested I have 6 or 8 Z220's (the predecessor to the studio series). I'll be using 5 so i you wanted 1 or 2 I might be able to accommodate..the z220's w/o burr brown work are 220.00 each..pm me if you're interested. note I'm in the mode of relocating so I'm in TN once per month. If you want any zapcos be patient and PM me, next trip home is the 26th.
I'd love to, but I'm in the middle of buying a house, so funds are tight and priorities are elsewhere. I'll keep that in mind though, if you happen to still have one this summer, I might take it off your hands!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SDB_FTW
2. If I remember correctly, you're taking the headphone out to the pre-ins on a harness that connects to the bose amp, correct? If so, you'll need to install a line driver in between the tablets in the pre-ins. That'll make a big difference without distorting the signal like the bybyte amp would, since your boosting the pre-amp signal instead of amplifying the signal twice.
Correct, I dont have the bybyte wired in. I may try it, see how the distortion is before considering a line driver. The Volume+ app boosts the volume, but it causes distortion, so it's out. On the other hand, if I need to spend more money correcting this Blose ****, I think I would rather just rip it out. I have some old Fosgate power series amps from the 90s sitting around, but they are so big...

Running wires, removing half the paneling in the car, and making a professional looking MDF rack and speaker set up is alot of work!

With the memory card, I am going to write a email to Newegg and/or Team to see if they have any advice.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:19 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by Firewater Burns
Correct, I dont have the bybyte wired in. I may try it, see how the distortion is before considering a line driver. The Volume+ app boosts the volume, but it causes distortion, so it's out. On the other hand, if I need to spend more money correcting this Blose ****, I think I would rather just rip it out. I have some old Fosgate power series amps from the 90s sitting around, but they are so big...

Running wires, removing half the paneling in the car, and making a professional looking MDF rack and speaker set up is alot of work!

With the memory card, I am going to write a email to Newegg and/or Team to see if they have any advice.
No amp, no matter how amazing, can make up for a super-low voltage pre-amp signal (ala what our tablets put out). They're simply not designed to deal with a voltage input that is that low. Most amps will actually specify a minimum voltage rating on the input signal, which is usually 1V or more, though I've seen some that only require 500mV.

To put it into perspective: your common $100 car stereo will have pre-outs of at least 1V, usually 2V or more. The tablet is only putting out somewhere around 200-400mV (rough guess). You're better off getting a line driver opposed to replacing the bose amp or the bybyte amp.

A line driver will simply increase the voltage of your signal without otherwise affecting your audio signal. There is a common misconception that line drivers help sound quality. In 99% of all installs, they don't. There are specific instances that I can think of where they do, but it's rare. If your source signal is noisy, a line driver will increase the voltage level of your noise floor just as it will increase your signal.

In our situation though, that's not what we're worried about. Our problem is that the voltage level of the signal coming out of our tablet is way too low to drive your average amplifier. This causes you to have to increase the amp's gains way too high (if you even have access to them) to get desired max volume, causing the amp to overdrive and clip the signal going to the speakers.

A line driver shouldn't cost much more than the bybyte amp, and is MUCH better suited for your configuration. The only time someone would need to use something like the bybyte, is if their factory amplifier didn't have low-level inputs.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Ah, ok, well good to know, guess I'll get to looking at line drivers.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:26 AM
5280Racer
Drifting

Well I finally have all the pieces for my install.. and I ran out of stuff to do the the car so I will start working on mine this week and finish this weekend..
Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by 5280Racer
Well I finally have all the pieces for my install.. and I ran out of stuff to do the the car so I will start working on mine this week and finish this weekend..
Good luck man, let us know how it goes.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:17 PM
TXAgs
Cruising

I am trying to decide what tablet to use for my own install. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which tablet would fit best in the metra dash kit? I'm sure the dash kit will require modification with any tablet, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

For pure fit, I believe the Nexus 7 was slightly smaller around the edges. I have not looked at Tabs since I purchased mine, so they could have released something smaller in the past 6 months. As long as the screen is 7 inches; the smaller the length and width, the better the fit. The depth does not matter. I dont much care for Apple products, but the new 7" ipad may be smaller if you dont care about the freedom to mod it yourself.

The Nexus 7 doesn't have a MicroSD card slot, otherwise I would have went with it.

Last edited by Firewater Burns; 05-11-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:53 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. That is a great job.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:14 AM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

well I went iPad mini, as I won two 64 gb cellular mini's for patents last year. If you don't like the Apple App Store lockdown, do a bit for bit backup of the OS, as well as a backup in iTunes, then jailbreak it. My full size retina iPad is great, even runs a bluetooth mouse once jailbroken.

I'm getting tied f waiting for these guys to release their kit..kinda like promising vaporwear..it never shows up. Once the wife is in Tulsa after the house sells (I'm relocating), then I'll followup and make the choice who i go with. The Soundman down in Orlando have a neat solution using an Audison Bit One or the like to be the D to A multi-channel converter; probably more expensive to go that way; then again it's not vaporwear either....

My plan will be to do my Zapco's from the Bit One, issues with the ByByte will be hum; as an aside an effective solution is the Behringer hum destroyer HD-400..25USD at Walmart. I have a commercial theater installed in my house in TN (seriously 9.2 7600 real 20 to 20K Hz watts, 13 amps. While I used an isolation transformer with an isolated secondary ground, I still had to use a hum destroyer on my two sub amps. They worked on that and earlier when I had al amps run through them. Save yourself time and headache it you get hum, as the Behringer WORKS. That FL-GL 400 they show on the ByByte website is a weak sister when compared to the HD400.

Last edited by The_Raging_Bull; 05-12-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:55 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey guys, I just wanted to thank you for the work you've shared with the forum. It's been really helpful. I read through a number of your posts and decide to take the plunge myself. I started my own build thread / diary (to not clutter up yours) Here's what I did with my first weekend:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1583956490
Old 05-21-2013, 07:52 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

I'd have thought by now the OP would have something posted on this.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Any updates?
I'm very curious to know if there have been any updates or improvements to the system.
Fantastic work and I'm hoping to duplicate this or something very similar.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:57 AM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

if you want result follow the link I put in earlier in the thread, as the folks in Orlando are did good job in integrating the iPad mini, an Audison Bit One and a few nice amps. It just takes Dinero my friend. The OP is glacially slow....
Old 08-31-2013, 09:09 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,517 Likes on 3,599 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Awesome and with all that power, you never hear the exhaust, that's for sure, nice job.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:19 PM
jachin99
Advanced

Has anyone been able to use something like an idata link hooked up in between the car and tablet to make the gauges on the face of the tablet reflect real vehicle speed and rpms?
Old 09-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull
I'd have thought by now the OP would have something posted on this.
The OP posted some parts for sale in the For Sale subforum a while back and stated that he had sold his car.

Originally Posted by jachin99
Has anyone been able to use something like an idata link hooked up in between the car and tablet to make the gauges on the face of the tablet reflect real vehicle speed and rpms?
There is a app called Torque that does that I believe. I ordered 1 OBD II scanner from China that was junk and sent it back. I haven't ordered another to test it out. Maybe try Ion's install thread. I think he has Torque installed.

Get notified of new replies

To Android 7" tablet install in a C6

Old 09-27-2013, 07:11 PM
jachin99
Advanced

i just found out all you need is torque and an obd2 bluetooth scanner that works with torque. Actron scanners are all locked and wont work with outside software, on top of being non refundable (supposedly but im going to try anyway.) dont ask me how i know this. Wiki torque and they will list the compatable obd adapters.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:03 PM
jachin99
Advanced

what would also be great is a torque widget that can be customized to match your background.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:04 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Hey sorry guys, I must've missed the email telling me that this thread got going again. I certainly didn't mean to abandon it. FirewaterBurns is correct, I unfortunately had to make the tough decision to trade in the car, but I'm still happy to contribute to the forum and answer questions.

A couple topics I saw recently:

Regarding the iPad mini: It may be a 7" tablet, but with the wider aspect ratio that the iPads have, there's no way it'd fit between the temp module and the vents. You'd have to do some serious dash modification to go that route. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it was far more hacking up of the dash than I was willing to take on.

Regarding the OBDII integration: I never wanted to go down that route. It just never interested me. I know the app is pretty cool, but I've seen it used, and there is a noticeably annoying delay on anything the screen shows. It's cool to see car diagnostics on your tablet, but it seemed more gimmicky than functional to me.

Again, sorry for the absence. I'm still here, happy to contribute, so if I missed anything, please feel free to ask again, and I'll get back to you!

EDIT: I just went through my emails, and I never got a notification for the latest posts to this thread. This is the second time this has happened. From now on I'll just drop by this thread occasionally to make sure I'm up to date. Hopefully I'll get the notifications in the future though.

Last edited by SDB_FTW; 11-10-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Android 7" tablet install in a C6