C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 01:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Android 7" tablet install in a C6

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewater Burns
To get the APK file, first, I try to find it on the dev's website. If they dont have it there, I pull it from the device using Astro File Manager (I didnt see an option to backup files in the CM file manager). As taken from this site HERE:

I found a nice apk tool on XDA Developers (Main Page) called Apk Manager Wanam (Tool DL page). It is fairly self explanatory, put the apk in the modding folder before you run the DOS script. Run script.bat, choose to unpack the apk (9) then find the unpacked folder in the projects folder. Mod the files you wish, tell it to recompile (11), tell it to sign it (12), and you should have a gtg file back in the mod folder (if you didn't mess up programing).

Android SDK is the main modding tools by Google. Most of it is far too advanced for me. The only tool I used was "draw9patch.bat" to make the file kosher. Background *.png files need to have a black and clear pattern on the border pixels to work. Drag a *.png onto the draw9patch.bat, it will open the editor, and make some matching black bars on each side.

The *.png files are located in the *.apk/res/drawable folder most of the time.

I use Photoshop to edit the *.png files. In the case of substituting pictures; I mod them, match pixels size with original, and save as *original_file_name*.

I only needed to mod code on the two Volume Control Widgets. It was one line for the background color on the first and moved 2 lines for the selector button on the second. I used "XmlNotepad" by Microsoft.
PERFECT, thanks for that, it definitely got me started. I decided to play with the "mini music control" first, because it has the ability to switch the music player that it is controlling (although that feature seems to be broken right now). I tried both "media buttons" and "media keys" widgets, but they would always just default to PlayerPro to control. I couldn't get them to control the Google Music Player until I uninstalled PlayerPro.

I love excuses to dust off the photoshop skills (or lack of )! The screenshot below shows my first stab at playing with the png files. I'm definitely not finished yet, but it's getting there. The flag "shadows" are volume, the flags are prev/next, and the speedometer is the play/pause button. I'm thinking about ditching the shadows and using the speedometer, along with a similar tachometer icon, to use for prev/next, and use the flags for volume. I haven't decided quite yet. I'm also going to find an app to get rid of my home buttons and google search bar, even if I have to shell out the $17 for the one you use, though I'd rather not.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The speedometer was a great idea. The volume is kinda tricky, a gauge (maybe GM will send us the color C7 HUD pngs!) where the needle actually moved by volume would kick ***. Although I'm sure that would require some major code modding.

You may be able to find some other programs to clean up the UI, the amount of apps out there is overwhelming. TSF Shell allows widget stacking as well, I was thinking of making the volume invisible, and overlaying it on something else (maybe an album art widget).
Old 01-27-2013, 05:01 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

The speedometer was a great idea. The volume is kinda tricky, a gauge (maybe GM will send us the color C7 HUD pngs!) where the needle actually moved by volume would kick ***. Although I'm sure that would require some major code modding.

You may be able to find some other programs to clean up the UI, the amount of apps out there is overwhelming. TSF Shell allows widget stacking as well, I was thinking of making the volume invisible, and overlaying it on something else (maybe an album art widget).
Hey I was playing around with your modified "mediabuttons" widget, and I couldn't get two flags to come all the way together. No matter how I resize the widgets, there's always a gap between them. Is there some kind of "no icon gap" or "overlapping" feature with TSF that allowed you to do this?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Toney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm worried about the Phoenix summers here, specifically on the tablet battery.
El Paso is not much better.

Have you worried about this?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by Toney

I always worry about this. We'll see how it goes. I'll add this question to the FAQ because it gets asked a lot.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Originally Posted by SDB_FTW
Hey I was playing around with your modified "mediabuttons" widget, and I couldn't get two flags to come all the way together. No matter how I resize the widgets, there's always a gap between them. Is there some kind of "no icon gap" or "overlapping" feature with TSF that allowed you to do this?
Yes, you can overlap or stack anything on your desktop (tablet top?) in TSF shell.

Originally Posted by Toney

I am slightly worried as well, I use a solar screen that should keep direct sun off of it. I read a few pieces where people overclock the tab 2 and report 10 and 20 degrees running temps over official specs w/o problems (although it will probably hurt their battery life). During the summer I leave the windows cracked when in a store or at work or the top off altogether (if the chance of rain is 0). In the larger cities like Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, ect... crime can happen everywhere, but on the same note, I don't live near any really rough areas where I need to worry to much about break ins.

Might try something like this...

Or if you want a serious fan with some serious solar power...

Or if your are a mad scientist auto modder with electrical engineering background...

you can wire a solar panel directly to your climate controls.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

I am slightly worried as well, I use a solar screen that should keep direct sun off of it. I read a few pieces where people overclock the tab 2 and report 10 and 20 degrees running temps over official specs w/o problems (although it will probably hurt their battery life). During the summer I leave the windows cracked when in a store or at work or the top off altogether (if the chance of rain is 0). In the larger cities like Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, ect... crime can happen everywhere, but on the same note, I don't live near any really rough areas where I need to worry to much about break ins.
I definitely don't recommend overclocking the tablet. That'll make the tablet run even hotter. The Tab2's specs list the max temp at 113*F, so I'm hoping that a good reflective sunshade, cracked windows, and possibly a solar fan, would be enough to keep the tablet happy. Plus, if you are using cyanogenmod, it features an "on-demand" cpu clocking utility that will downclock the processor to as low as 300MHz when it's dormant, which saves on both heat and battery.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Since I didn't want to spend $17 for a launcher (darned greedy developers), I instead picked up Nova Launcher for $4, and it does everything I want/need it to do! In fact, the "free" version of Nova Launcher did everything I wanted as well, but there were some cool features of the paid version that I wanted, so I went ahead and shelled out the $4.

My home screen is now very clean, and has no doc icons or a notification bar. I can pop them into the screen at any time though, using Nova Launcher's built in touch gestures. These gestures are awesome. For example, I now have a gesture that launches Google Now voice search when I double tap the screen. Great stuff! I'm still tweaking my media icons, but I'll post another screenshot soon.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Excellent, I should have looked harder. It sounds like Nova has all the features I currently use in TSF.

I found the overclocking threads while looking around for more extreme temps that people have put the Tab 2 under. The PS2 controller mod that you are basing your steering wheel mod on shows that you could play some major games while it is mounted in the car, but I not young enough to believe I can drive well while distracted (couldn't be worse than sending a text, right?). So I shouldn't need an overclock.

Last edited by Firewater Burns; 01-28-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Excellent, I should have looked harder. It sounds like Nova has all the features I currently use in TSF.

I found the overclocking threads while looking around for more extreme temps that people have put the Tab 2 under. The PS2 controller mod that you are basing your steering wheal mod on shows that you could play some major games while it is mounted in the car, but I not young enough to believe I can drive well while distracted (couldn't be worse than sending a text, right?). So I shouldn't need an overclock.
Hahahaha yeah I have no desire to play games on the tablet. I have a GalaxyS3 and a Nexus10 for that! The Tab2 is plenty fast for what I need it to do, mainly, play music. I see no need or reason to overclock it in a carputer scenario, especially considering the added heat and decreased battery life.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Nice work.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Here's the latest and greatest! I'm pretty happy with this setup and I'll probably only make a few small tweaks to it in the future.

The Jake Skull is "Play/Pause"
The Tachometer is "Previous Track"
The Speedometer is "Next Track"
The left side of the Vette Wings is "Volume Down"
The right side of the Vette Wings is "Volume Up"

I edited the "volumewidget" to incorporate the vette wings, which was the major win of the night. It took some xml coding, but once you get used to the widget layout structure, it isn't too bad. It's also a LOT easier if you use a program like eclipse, which has an android emulation plugin that allows you to visualize the widget.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Awesome!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Now that last edit is pretty cool. You could easily write that code and sell it for $1. Bet you'd get some buys.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
Now that last edit is pretty cool. You could easily write that code and sell it for $1. Bet you'd get some buys.
That's a tempting idea, but it'd technically be illegal since I just took someone else's work and modified it to my personal needs...

For anyone that is doing a similar project, I'd be happy to send you these widgets free of charge.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Wow, that Nova Launcher really cleans up the page and with all the other work, it looks much better now.

When I first downloaded Android SDK, I opened up Eclipse, looked at is for a minute, realized I would need to go read hours of tutorials just to get started, and ran away to cry myself to sleep. Of course I have now spent many a hour messing with the apps, but that was mostly in Photoshop!

I have been working on a retro C1 interface (that I probably wont use because it wont match the car) for the media buttons, but the volume was going to be next. Please send me the apk that you modded. It would make things much simpler.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Wow, that Nova Launcher really cleans up the page and with all the other work, it looks much better now.

When I first downloaded Android SDK, I opened up Eclipse, looked at is for a minute, realized I would need to go read hours of tutorials just to get started, and ran away to cry myself to sleep. Of course I have now spent many a hour messing with the apps, but that was mostly in Photoshop!

I have been working on a retro C1 interface (that I probably wont use because it wont match the car) for the media buttons, but the volume was going to be next. Please send me the apk that you modded. It would make things much simpler.
Eclipse might look a bit intimidating, but the initial install and configuration didn't take me more than an hour or two. Just do a google search on "eclipse android" and you should find some good documentation to get you started.

You should be able to download the modified volume widget HERE. Let me know if you have any issues downloading the apk.

Get notified of new replies

To Android 7" tablet install in a C6

Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Nova launcher also has customizeable gestures. For example, I can two finger rotate to pop in the dock. Compare my screenshot above with this one. Nova launcher is awesome.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 PM
The chief07
Instructor

Unbelivable, I was lost when you started. It amazes me so many guys can do so much to there cars. I am in awe.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:25 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by geo2000
Wow, that's quite the mod
No ***** here to do that you are very good

Quick Reply: Android 7" tablet install in a C6