C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Fob Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 02:16 PM
JoeMetzger
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yet Another Fob Nightmare

I am having a problem with key fob on 2007 vette. I have read the many entries but my situation seems different and not sure how to proceed. The problems are intermittent and erratic. Some times I get in the car with the fob and then it won't start due to fob error in dic. Sometimes the fob won't open the car. An my favorite is getting in the car with the fob, driving somewhere and then can't open car doors due to fob error. I have replaced the batteries in both fobs and nothing has changed. I have had the problem with both fobs also. Everything else in the car works fine. Is the problem in the receiver ? I'm getting desparate as I just know I am going to get stranded somewhere by this problem.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:32 PM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

It could be your cell phone. Leave cell phone at home to see if problem continues.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:41 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello,

Sounds like you're experiencing RFI.

Read this article below for more information.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...new-york-city/

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 01-20-2013, 02:45 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

My first thought is that your car battery may be going bad.

A weak car battery often does things that don't seem related to it at all.

Good luck, and let us know what you find to be the problem!!

Bob
Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I got an IPhone 4 this past summer. Never had it near the FOB until it got cold. I had all kinds of issues, if the dealer had a suitable car in stock I would of traded. Anyway turned out to be signal Interference. Car works great. The FOB is the heart of the car.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah sounds like RFI to me.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 PM
SweetBlueZ51
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, I had similar issues with my '07 and it was the RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) module that needed to be reprogrammed. Your dealer should have the updated software. For the '05-'07 models, use software version 25927325; for '08s, use version 25927326. It's worth a try. Hope it works out for you, it resolved my FOB problems.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by JoeMetzger
I am having a problem with key fob on 2007 vette. I have read the many entries but my situation seems different and not sure how to proceed. The problems are intermittent and erratic. Some times I get in the car with the fob and then it won't start due to fob error in dic. Sometimes the fob won't open the car. An my favorite is getting in the car with the fob, driving somewhere and then can't open car doors due to fob error. I have replaced the batteries in both fobs and nothing has changed. I have had the problem with both fobs also. Everything else in the car works fine. Is the problem in the receiver ? I'm getting desparate as I just know I am going to get stranded somewhere by this problem.
If you mean that you can't open the doors after turning off the engine, that has nothing to do with the fob. If that's happening, something else goin' on...
Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
My first thought is that your car battery may be going bad.

A weak car battery often does things that don't seem related to it at all.

Good luck, and let us know what you find to be the problem!!

Bob

I went through this last year with a 4.5 year old battery in the Z. Started getting really weird reactions to the FOBs and finally the car wouldn't respond to them at all, even when they were in the slot in the glove compartment. Every once in a while the system would relent and let the engine start. After I got it started one time I took it for a 20 mile drive and when I got back I shut off the engine and tried to start the car. No FOBs detected. After some fooling around it let the engine start but the starter was turning very slowly. One new battery and the FOBs and a few other things stopped acting weird and the starter spun the engine much faster.

Bill
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
If you mean that you can't open the doors after turning off the engine, that has nothing to do with the fob. If that's happening, something else goin' on...
] If you really meant to say that you can't open the door from the inside, then you definitely have an issue that has NOTHING to do with the FOB.

If, on the other hand, you meant to say that sometimes when you go somewhere, get out of the car and lock it, come back the door won't unlock, then your issue is definitely NOT RFI unless there is only one place you are going or one set of transmitters (phone, chargers, etc.) in identical places.

I'm going with the former indicating the car battery is the culprit. If you are very unlucky and have replaced the car battery and still have the issues then it is a problem with the security module in the driver's "B" column. But the symptoms you describe do NOT correspond to a simultaneous failure of both FOBs.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

1. You can go to your local AutoZone and they have FOB tester. It's located up front with the FOB batteries. When you push a button on your FOB a small light will light up on the display at the store.

2. Agree with comments about the car battery. Not sure how old yours is, but when one starts going bad it will effect all kinds of things. My view, since a battery is a normal wear item anyway, it's a good place to start spending $ in an attempt to resolve the problem.

I once had some crazy electrical issues on a car, and upon checking the battery, found the positive cable had worked loose. Make sure your connections are clean and tight. Also check to insure your Alt is charging correctly. You can do this with a volt meter or check your DIC for amps when the car is running.

Good luck
Old 01-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Bludog
Pro

Not sure if this is the same issue as RFI or not, but I had an issue with the car not locking after I got out and walked away. It was driving me nuts! After a few days, it seemed to be working normally, but I never received any kind of error messages.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:00 PM
JoeMetzger
6th Gear

Wow, thanks for all of the replies. Here is additional info

1) The battery is less than a year old.

2) I really did mean that I got locked in the car. I assumed it was due to the security system locking doors because it did not recognize fob. Has only happened once so far.

3) When car is in garage I always just leave the fob in the car. Sometimes the door locks and won't open until I use backup fob to unlock them.

4) I always have the fob near my cell phone (blackberry). Will check and see if separating the two solves the problem. Will need to give it time as problem is random.

Thanks again for all of the help !

Joe

Last edited by JoeMetzger; 01-21-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

4) I always have the fob near my cell phone (blackberry). Will check and see if separating the two solves the problem. Will need to give it time as problem is random.

Joe
Bingo, any time the fob is near a cellphone, there is a potential problem. This has been well documented here on the forum. I have tried it myself just for fun and also duplicated the problem.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:43 PM
SuperchargedStroker
Burning Brakes

Recently installed my Laser lights, and got the FOB error. I am bummed, they looked very cool. I wrapped them in the tin and all. They definitely were the issue. The FOB detection is very sensitive.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:31 AM
JoeMetzger
6th Gear

Default The problems have gotten worse

This morning I went to the car and the door opened fine but I heard a clicking noise as I got in. I closed the door and the dic started indicating that no fob was found. At this point all lights went dead and the door would not open. Fortunately I was still in the garage and called wife on cell phone. She grabbed second fob and from doorway pushed the unlock button and all of a sudden the car came back to life and I was able to start it with first fob.

I don't understand why pushing button on second fob could affect the battery ????

Is the door supposed to be able to be opened from inside when no fob is detected ?

I guess I am just going to have to take to dealer and get it checked out as the next time it happens I may noy be lucky enough to be at home in garage.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM
richsteele
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the door supposed to be able to be opened from inside when no fob is detected ?
There's an emergency release handle on the floor just to the outside of each seat. Good luck finding issue!

Get notified of new replies

To Yet Another Fob Nightmare

Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

The handle on the floor should get you out of the car. FOB working or not.

I had the same issue after a new car battery install. I just removed the battery terminals and reinstalled and made sure they were on tight and the problem went away

Do you have a battery tender hooked to the battery? In my case, I connected the terminals under the nut. Those nuts are coned shaped and when tightened they close the clamps tighter. By connecting the tender under the nut you prevent the clamp from tighting fully. I removed the tender and installed the tender connection on top ot the nut instead of underneath also making for a tighter connection. Mine was also a 2007. Just a thought.

Last edited by Rich Mickol; 01-22-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add info
Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 AM
JoeMetzger
6th Gear

Default Life Savers

The comments about the door release handle are a real lifesaver as I had no idea they were there. Plan to test them out when I leave work today. Thanks so much !

Will also check battery connections tonight.

Joe
Old 01-22-2013, 12:05 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Sure sounds like a low car battery to me...considering the last post. A low car battery just makes all the electronics go a little nuts. I'll bet it wouldn't do this if it were on a tender, which would hold the voltage up. Test the battery.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Fob Nightmare