C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:56 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,584 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Default Is this normal?

I turn off the engine of my 2012 coupe, get out, close the door, and push the lock button. The lights flash and the lock icon come on to tell me the car is indeed locked. I walk away for ten minutes, come back and notice the green light around my start button is still lit as is the courtesy lights under the rear view mirror. This doesn't seem right, so I push the lock button again and the horn beeps as if to say, "the car is already locked, stupid"! Yet the start button and mirror lights are still lit.

I thought pushing the lock button shuts everything down? What's going on here?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 PM
MLCRookie
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the fob still in your pocket? I was curious about this too, and this morning I locked my car as I walked away, walked back and opened the door...so, I then locked it, walked awy, and sat my fob down with my work cooler and walked back to the car...this time everything was locked/secured as it should be. as you walk up, the car detects the fob and is more than kind enough to welcome you with open arms...
Old 01-20-2013, 02:30 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Originally Posted by MLCRookie
Is the fob still in your pocket? I was curious about this too, and this morning I locked my car as I walked away, walked back and opened the door...so, I then locked it, walked awy, and sat my fob down with my work cooler and walked back to the car...this time everything was locked/secured as it should be. as you walk up, the car detects the fob and is more than kind enough to welcome you with open arms...
And people say it's just a car.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Bob Yocum
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
I turn off the engine of my 2012 coupe, get out, close the door, and push the lock button. The lights flash and the lock icon come on to tell me the car is indeed locked. I walk away for ten minutes, come back and notice the green light around my start button is still lit as is the courtesy lights under the rear view mirror. This doesn't seem right, so I push the lock button again and the horn beeps as if to say, "the car is already locked, stupid"! Yet the start button and mirror lights are still lit.

I thought pushing the lock button shuts everything down? What's going on here?
You might have accidently bumped the light control **** on the dash with your knee or hand when getting out of the car.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:41 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dklowrider
Haha smarter than the operator some times.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

I may have figured it out...

When I first locked the doors and walked off, I laid my FOB in the house and then went back out to the car. I tried to open the doors and of course w/o the FOB, they would not open. I retrieved the FOB and it was when I returned to the car, I noticed the aforementioned lights were all on. I believe what happened was that when I tried to open the locked door w/o the FOB, the interior lights came on and stayed on. I experimented with this and lo and behold, discovered if one tries to open a locked door w/o the FOB, the lights come on and stay on for about ten minutes. Mystery Solved!

Thanks all for the suggestions..
Old 01-20-2013, 03:25 PM
1hawk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Lights/Horn issues

I had the same problem at least 2/3 times in the year I had my 2012 GS. Get out of the car & walk several feet away the HORN gives me 2 beeps. Ignition & Acc light where off. Still can not figure what went wrong?
Car way to smart.

Save the wave
Old 01-20-2013, 04:01 PM
MLCRookie
Pro

Originally Posted by dklowrider
I have only had her for two days and she already treats me like an old friend...I think it was meant to be...but I finally get the jewelry commercial where the GPS talks about the jewelry...

Old 01-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The car isn't that smart.

It doesn't look for the fob until you 'ask' it to, by using the door switch, trunk switch, start button, etc.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by **** Jockey

It doesn't look for the fob until you 'ask' it to, by using the door switch, trunk switch, start button, etc.
That is actually a good approach. I owned a Jaguar that was always "seeking" the remote and if the remote was left within 20-30 feet of the car, the PCM would endlessly "talk" to the remote (activating all sorts of electronic stuff in the car) eventually running down the car battery.

Stupid design in my opinion...
Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I have my car programmed to lock automatically when I walk away, silently. It unlocks when I'm in range, again silently. You never know it happened. I discovered it is still working when I was cleaning the inside windows, left my FOB on the garage floor and closed the door. Yep, locked inside, the car was shut down tight. I had to use the emergency door release to get out. Then all ____broke out, horn sounded, lights flashed, it is working!!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 PM
dcarter0001
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey

That's true and nothing happens when you walk up to the car with or without the fob until you push the door switch. Trying to open a door without the fob will only cause the red security light to flash.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
I may have figured it out...

When I first locked the doors and walked off, I laid my FOB in the house and then went back out to the car. I tried to open the doors and of course w/o the FOB, they would not open. I retrieved the FOB and it was when I returned to the car, I noticed the aforementioned lights were all on. I believe what happened was that when I tried to open the locked door w/o the FOB, the interior lights came on and stayed on. I experimented with this and lo and behold, discovered if one tries to open a locked door w/o the FOB, the lights come on and stay on for about ten minutes. Mystery Solved!

Thanks all for the suggestions..

Thanks for solving this! happened to me once.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:29 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

At least you figured it out. Stupid stuff like that can drive you crazy.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:37 PM
1SG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Yocum
You might have accidently bumped the light control **** on the dash with your knee or hand when getting out of the car.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 PM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

I just bought a 2007 Z06 from Carmax today, and this same confusion shortly after. So weird not to be using a key and fob the old way.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

You can also just leave the fob in your pocket and hit the lock button on the door as you get out. This gives you the versatility of not setting the car to autolock and also not having to dig around in a pocket to find the fob. The great thing about the fob system is that it really doesn't even need to have buttons on it and can just sit silently in a pocket and never be disturbed.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this normal?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I just have the car lock when the fob is away as well as unlock when the fob is near.

No button pushing for me or horn honking with lights flashing....so lame
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I just have the car lock when the fob is away as well as unlock when the fob is near.

Not me. I can't find my a$$ with both hands sometimes. When I walk away from the car with the fob in my pocket, the horn honks and lights flash. Like saying ''Hey stupid, I'm locked, you got it right''.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111

I would do this also but I like locking it myself because I only need it locked once in a while.

Quick Reply: Is this normal?