C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 ZR1 Carbon Fiber spoiler installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 PM
rsssguy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sent you p.m.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:20 PM
American Hydrocarbon

The third brake light needs to be installed in the new spoiler just like it is on the stock one. The two center studs hold the brake light in place on the stock one so you need to run those two nuts up the studs after the brake light goes in to the spoiler to hold it in place, then mount the spoiler on the car.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:46 AM
07blkvette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by franman69
half way towards the end... four bolts total.
So you are saying you have the two bolts that the third brake light gets mounted to. Then you have four more, two on each side after that? If you remove it again could you please post pic of underside of spoiler. Thanks..
Old 01-27-2013, 11:24 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 07blkvette
So you are saying you have the two bolts that the third brake light gets mounted to. Then you have four more, two on each side after that? If you remove it again could you please post pic of underside of spoiler. Thanks..
Probably, similar to the GM full width spoiler. It has 2 extra studs on each side.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Probably, similar to the GM full width spoiler. It has 2 extra studs on each side.

No that is not correct, he does NOT have those outer bolts, I already asked him that.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:52 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racer
No that is not correct, he does NOT have those outer bolts, I already asked him that.
OK, sorry. My mistake. OEM ones do.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:11 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

The manufacturer says the unit can be installed with the two threaded studs that pass through the (existing) factory holes and 3M double sided auto tape, but they provide two 'optional' studs on each side of the unit.
OK, I thought that I had read this from the OP.

I also read his response to one of your questions about the studs, so it seems there is some confusion about how many extra studs he has (other than the 2 in the indentation of the standard spoiler).

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 01-27-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
OK, I though that I had read this from the OP.

I also read his response to one of your questions about the studs, so it seems there is some confusion about how many extra studs he has (other than the 2 in the indentation of the standard spoiler).

I agree, it was confusing , but from these quotes, I am taking that he does NOT have the outer bolts.

Sorry, do you have bolts at the very ends or about halfway to the end?

half way towards the end... four bolts total.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 PM
ATMER1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also purchased the same spoiler from American Hydrocarbon.
Neither the two studs holding the brake light or the outer bolts lined up with the existing holes in my ZR1, they were off by almost 3/8".
I notched/elongated the two center holes to allow the spoiler\studs to drop into position.
With the spoiler in position I then scribed the remaining hole positions (8 holes) with an awl, then drilled & tapped 1/4x20 holes into the underside of the spoiler. Hex bolts w/ fender washers were then threaded into the tapped holes. Threading the screws in place while reaching into the bumper cover through the tail light openings was a PIA. Were I to do this over I would use threaded studs similar to the OEM hardware, available from McMaster Carr--http://www.mcmaster.com/#95412A542

As the OP said the finish is very good which is why I put up with the hassle of drilling new holes instead of just returning the piece.

John
Old 03-02-2013, 05:47 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default C7 Spoiler Installation - Round 2

I had been asked to show some more photos of the C7 spoiler if I had a reason to remove it. I finally got around to removing the spoiler for the purpose of mounting the 3rd Brake Light more permanently and better, as well as to get a better fit and try to resolve my middle fitment issues.

I started off taking the unit all the way off revealing the 4 factory mounting holes (from the original spoiler) and the two outer holes that I had previously drilled to accommodate the outer (optional) studs on the C7 ZR1 Carbon Fiber Spoiler.

With the spoiler back on the bench, I properly mounted the 3rd brake light taking care to get the best fit possible in the rear opening of the spoiler. Then I attached the light with the provided washers and nuts. I used a spare washer below one side to get a better fit for the light in the slot.

I was able to get the light to fit pretty nicely into the slot in the spoiler. One of the things I like about the C7 unit is the thin strip below the 3rd brake light isn't 'too thin' like a couple of other units I tried.

It's worth noting, that I actually widened up the two outer holes before putting the spoiler back on to allow for some extra side-to-side play as I was tighening it down.. (room for the outer studs to move left-to-right if required).

Somebody (before me) had hacked up one of the center (factory) holes before I ever took off my stock unit. This is one of the reasons I decided to use larger shoulder washers below the smaller washer supplied with the unit.

After I got the unit back in place, I was able to tighten up the four mounting screws (two center studs that come through from the unit/3rd brake light and two outer bolts that mount from inside the bumper into the threaded holes at the outside of the unit). The fit is actually quite good now. With the added purchase of the larger washer, I was able to tighten the center studs down tight enough to pull the unit completely into place. These photos show the final fitment.

The fit is totally tight along then entire rear facing edge. The 3rd brake light fits snug into the slot in the rear of the spoiler.

There is only one spot, at the very end of the outer edge on the forward facing edge that has any slop.. I can push it down about 1/8" on the front edge, but it really looks pretty nice.

My previous issues were not being able to get the forward edge that faces the rear window to sit tight into the bumper opening. Now it fits quite nicely all the way across until you get to the very end. I can live with it the way it is, and I'm actually quite happy with the end result.

Overall, the ZR1 Style (real) Carbon Fiber spoiler from C7 Carbon is a bargain, and the finish and materials are totally high quality. Yes, it could have more mounting studs, but I gotta tell you that drilling the holes in your bumper is pretty nerve-racking. If I had to drill more I would have had even more anxiety.. After two fitting session, I am happy with the results and I'll be proud to show off this unit to all my vetter buddies...
Old 03-03-2013, 02:21 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Bump as there were some looking for clarification on the C7 ZR1 spoiler.. These photos and write should answer all the questions and remove any confusion...
Old 03-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I like it!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:54 PM
American Hydrocarbon

I had been asked to show some more photos of the C7 spoiler if I had a reason to remove it. I finally got around to removing the spoiler for the purpose of mounting the 3rd Brake Light more permanently and better, as well as to get a better fit and try to resolve my middle fitment issues.

I started off taking the unit all the way off revealing the 4 factory mounting holes (from the original spoiler) and the two outer holes that I had previously drilled to accommodate the outer (optional) studs on the C7 ZR1 Carbon Fiber Spoiler.

With the spoiler back on the bench, I properly mounted the 3rd brake light taking care to get the best fit possible in the rear opening of the spoiler. Then I attached the light with the provided washers and nuts. I used a spare washer below one side to get a better fit for the light in the slot.

I was able to get the light to fit pretty nicely into the slot in the spoiler. One of the things I like about the C7 unit is the thin strip below the 3rd brake light isn't 'too thin' like a couple of other units I tried.

It's worth noting, that I actually widened up the two outer holes before putting the spoiler back on to allow for some extra side-to-side play as I was tighening it down.. (room for the outer studs to move left-to-right if required).

Somebody (before me) had hacked up one of the center (factory) holes before I ever took off my stock unit. This is one of the reasons I decided to use larger shoulder washers below the smaller washer supplied with the unit.

After I got the unit back in place, I was able to tighten up the four mounting screws (two center studs that come through from the unit/3rd brake light and two outer bolts that mount from inside the bumper into the threaded holes at the outside of the unit). The fit is actually quite good now. With the added purchase of the larger washer, I was able to tighten the center studs down tight enough to pull the unit completely into place. These photos show the final fitment.

The fit is totally tight along then entire rear facing edge. The 3rd brake light fits snug into the slot in the rear of the spoiler.

There is only one spot, at the very end of the outer edge on the forward facing edge that has any slop.. I can push it down about 1/8" on the front edge, but it really looks pretty nice.

My previous issues were not being able to get the forward edge that faces the rear window to sit tight into the bumper opening. Now it fits quite nicely all the way across until you get to the very end. I can live with it the way it is, and I'm actually quite happy with the end result.

Overall, the ZR1 Style (real) Carbon Fiber spoiler from C7 Carbon is a bargain, and the finish and materials are totally high quality. Yes, it could have more mounting studs, but I gotta tell you that drilling the holes in your bumper is pretty nerve-racking. If I had to drill more I would have had even more anxiety.. After two fitting session, I am happy with the results and I'll be proud to show off this unit to all my vetter buddies...
I would put a small piece of 3m tape at that end to hold it down. After it sits in the sun awhile the spoiler will get a little more flexible.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

There is actually more than 1/8" of material below the brake light and it doesn't look like it will break off easily.

Considering the price (compared to some competing vendors) the quality on the finish is a 10.

The one I bought from RPI had all the proper bolts, but the piece below the third brake light was warped, too thin, stretched and a real disaster.
I have had the same problem with the aftermarket ZR1 rear spoiler on my 2011 GS coupe ... The area of the spoiler just under the 3rd brake light in the center of the spoiler is just too thin.

This thin area will in fact warp and look like crap over time.

You will also start seeing dimples in the top surface of the spoiler over time too on the "other" aftermarket spoiler.

Both these problems are unacceptable!

I really like the fact that the material directly below the center brake light appears to be much thicker (stronger) on the American Hydrocarbon spoiler pictured below.

Looks nice!

This is much better >

Old 03-06-2013, 09:52 PM
AtomicZ_Eric
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow that looks bad @$$. Great photos. Gonna add this item to the top of my list. Love the look of the CF. Glad to see the install went well. Thanks for posting photos, and it's great to see the vender involved with this post. Will definitely consider for upgrade this spring on the Z-oh.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Bertrand_ls9
Navigator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello how long did the spoiler take to arrive? i just ordered one from c7 carbons site
Old 11-24-2014, 07:28 AM
Bill Hoch
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, THAT LOOKS GREAT! I have been looking at getting a paint matched one but the more I see the more I really like the carbon fiber look for them. This one looks really nice. Thanks for all of the pics and installation details.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 ZR1 Carbon Fiber spoiler installed

Old 11-24-2014, 09:51 PM
American Hydrocarbon

Yeah, playing with the center holes a little is what I was thinking as well. I've got to get the brake lights sitting correct first. (Its flopping around a bit now). I'm trying to get a straight answer from C7 about whether the light is supposed to be bolted on before the spoiler is installed. (I think it is)...

The center holes were already a bit 'widened' when I took off my stock spoiler.. I can't make them much bigger or the washers on the bolts will slip through... gotta be careful here. Thanks for the suggestion!!!
The brake light need to be installed in the spoiler first. If you need help getting the brake light to sit better call me.
813-476-5638
Old 11-25-2014, 09:18 AM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

whats c7carbon's user name on this forum? wanna see if they have posted a black friday sale on their products
Old 11-25-2014, 01:58 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,347 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by croatbob
whats c7carbon's user name on this forum? wanna see if they have posted a black friday sale on their products
Oddly enough, it's C7 Carbon!

http://www.c7carbon.com/

Quick Reply: C7 ZR1 Carbon Fiber spoiler installed