C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin PSS for Z51?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 PM
drfeelgood
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Michelin PSS for Z51?

My 2005 Z51 is due for new shoes and I've pretty much decided against more run-flats. Has anyone tried putting on slightly oversize PSS (255/40-18 and 295/35-19) ?
Stock wheels, not lowered.

Thanks for any input!
Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's what I was going to do if I were going with non-runflats. There some tire size variation among manufacturers anyway so one size up is probably going to be in that range of tolerances.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:32 PM
jessc6
1st Gear

I decided on the same
Old 01-09-2013, 04:36 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Why no runflats? I have an '05 Z51 A4 and I put on Michelin A/S RF's back in July, have about 3500 miles on then and love them, quiet, no wheel hop, better ride and although I don't track the car more than enough traction for that occasional blast.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 PM
mlsins
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got an 06 Vert with Z51. I put on the Michelin run flats about 5000 miles ago and LOVE them. They are much quieter and smoother than the Good Years. I would do it again without question.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

i'm thinking doing this in march or apr..MP SS, one size bigger...they are pricey...but should help,also planning on going with the DRM bilsteins and lower car maybe 1/2" in rear only...
i have had the kumho's xs , in stock sizes for the last yr..been ok..but car still does not hook well in 1st ..
on a roll i'm ok..
Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by mlsins
I've got an 06 Vert with Z51. I put on the Michelin run flats about 5000 miles ago and LOVE them. They are much quieter and smoother than the Good Years. I would do it again without question.
Same here. I replaced the Goodyear Supercar run flats on my 2005 coupe with Z51 with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S run flats just last week. Love 'em.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
tweaker91
Instructor

Let me just say this about that...

I replaced the stock GYs at about 25000 and went with the Michelin Pilot sport A/S. I do track the car about once a month. At first I loved them, but experienced a lot of understeer on course.

Just recently, I decided to go non run flats and switched (mostly) to the Michelin PSS. I didn't quite know what I wanted to do with the rears, since they don't make the stock size, so I just did the fronts at that point. The difference in the turn in and grip was unbelievable. So much so that the run flats could not hold nearly as well as the SS. I am adding the larger size that you mentioned this weekend and racing on Sunday...can't wait.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Pitbull11
Racer

When you get a flat? What do you do when you have non run flats. Wait for a flat bed truck and hope you don't screwup your wheel?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:42 PM
drfeelgood
Instructor

If you have non-runflats, you carry a can of slime, a compressor and a plug kit. If that doesn't do the trick, then you call a flatbed.
Thankfully, the rate of catastrophic blowouts and pressure loss is small, but I'm not sure runflats would help in that situation. The few flats I've had were noticed after the car had been parked, from a nail or screw.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:48 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

if any of you have pics, post em up, curious to see the slight oversize. the pss is probably the best street tire made as it has most of the grip of the re11 and over 50% more life, not to mention quieter
Old 01-10-2013, 06:34 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by drfeelgood
If you have non-runflats, you carry a can of slime, a compressor and a plug kit. If that doesn't do the trick, then you call a flatbed.
Thankfully, the rate of catastrophic blowouts and pressure loss is small, but I'm not sure runflats would help in that situation. The few flats I've had were noticed after the car had been parked, from a nail or screw.
ditto..have plugged my vettes over the yrs ..never had a real problem..most get a nail, large screw etc..once had a blow out on the frwy in my 60 vette..it was a wild ride..didn't make runflats back then...............
Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This time of year your average high is 50 degrees F. and your average low is 32 degrees F., so you really should have all-season tires, and definately not summer performance tires if you drive regularly in December, January and March. Too bad you apparently can't afford second generation run-flat technology like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus Z/P. They are quieter, smoother riding, offer superior traction in the rain, and last far longer than your original Goodyears, plus still provide the safety and security only non-runflats can offer. Why would you want to have fatter than normal tires on a 2005 Z51, unless you enjoy hydroplanning at really low speeds in the rain?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 PM
drfeelgood
Instructor

I doubt that changing to a slightly wider tire will have any significant effect on hydroplane risk, especially changing to what is generally considered the best street performance tire. After all Z06s and ZR1s have significantly wider tires in a vehicle essentially the same weight.
My car is not a daily driver and we rarely get ice or snow here. All of my performance cars have run summer tires and been just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin PSS for Z51?

Quick Reply: Michelin PSS for Z51?