C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back up camera options for Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 PM
tealex
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree............A GS is a step above a regular corvette, a ZO 6 is a step above the GS and a ZR 1 is a step above the ZO 6......there is a difference in each one. Don't know why anyone would get upset with someone clearifying which car there talking about.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:40 PM
vettelover69
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Is their something unique about the G/S regarding back-up camera options that wouldn't apply equally to all C6 Corvettes? These kind of "G/S" posts are more than irritating at best. What is it about G/S owners that make them think their car is somehow unique, rather than simply a minor styling option. "Gee, my G/S rear view mirror", or "my G/S glove box latch". or "my G/S turn signal" only expose the average G/S owner as being totally unaware of how totally non-unique the G/S is, other than it's price, which is absurd for what what little differences it offers.
You mean to tell me that GM makes a vette other than the GS, Z06 and ZR1??

I guess you learn something new every day.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Would be nice to be able to swap the rear view mirror for one with a LCD screen. Like the one installed in GM trucks and suburbans.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:00 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I've got backup cameras with sensors on 3 vehicles and to be honest I don't like or use them. I prefer the old safe reliable way...look over the shoulder and actually properly use mirrors .
Old 03-23-2013, 07:37 AM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
I've got backup cameras with sensors on 3 vehicles and to be honest I don't like or use them. I prefer the old safe reliable way...look over the shoulder and actually properly use mirrors .
I hear you, but they are good for seeing if a child should be behind you where you have no vision from any of the mirrors, especially in a truck being a little higher.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:10 AM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

I would definitely consider an upgraded head unit and not just the need for a backup cam. When you consider the value of a top end head unit, like the Kenwood DNX series, you will be glad you did.

Dennis at Double D Mods is the best to deal with in both price and service IMHO.

Good Luck!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:38 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Raggtop
Need any advise on after market mods for a backup camera on my 10 GS. I've heard of adapters for my nav system, but not sure of the applicability to the OEM Nav or if I have to get a separate unit and install on sun visor.... Any suggestions or experiences are appreciated.....
I gave up trying to short cut this issue.

My NAV had updating issues. GM wants $200 to update, screw that.

I went to DoubleD, got a double din Pioneer Z140BH, the camera, wiring harness, XM, etc., and did it my self in the garage and now I have:

Steering Wheel control
OnStar functionality
SD
iPad
iPod
iPhone
Blue tooth
Rear Camera
XM
DVD movies
Navigation (Great stuff!)

and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other stuff...

for $1,434.95 to my door.

Don't take shortcuts and still be missing out on the options. GM won't offer them, so just do it!

Elmer

PS.This might work on a GS too!

PPS. An addition perk of the rear camera is the fish-eye type of lens. When parked next to the wall of car (SUV) you can't see crap to back out. The rear camera actually gives you a peripheral view of the oncoming traffic to allow you to back out of your parking space.

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 03-23-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:42 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6
I hear you, but they are good for seeing if a child should be behind you where you have no vision from any of the mirrors, especially in a truck being a little higher.
SUV's have the same problem. In fact, yesterday after dropping my granddaughter off at school, I started to back up out of the parking spot I was in and a 5 or 6 year old boy was walking behind me pulling his little book bag on wheels oblivious that I was backing up. My proximity sensor went off and a fast look at the NAV screen showed him right behind me and not viewable thru any of my mirrors. That alone makes it worthwhile.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:55 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6
I didn't mean there were no safety advantages but drivers tend to pay to much attention to a nav screen while backing and are unaware of there surroundings. It helps and hinders.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:42 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

laconiajack just hates GS's. If people quit responding, he'll eventually go away.

The NAV units are dated technology, I'm sure there will be a significant upgrade for the C-7's. Maybe this time around, GM will have figured out that technology like this needs to be easily replaceable because it changes so quickly. We buy cars and keep them for years, people by electronic gadgets and keep them for months. Huge difference. My 3lt came with the nav unit, there was no choice in deleting it, otherwise I would have. At 1500 to replace it with upgraded equipment is a bit much when I would rather spend the money on track wheels and R-compound tires. In the meantime, my cell phone works great as a navigator and mp3 player, though the mp3 function works okay in the NAV unit too. Its too bad the shuffle algorithm isn't smart enough to have a different start point each time you turn on the unit.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:52 PM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
laconiajack just hates GS's. If people quit responding, he'll eventually go away.

The NAV units are dated technology, I'm sure there will be a significant upgrade for the C-7's. Maybe this time around, GM will have figured out that technology like this needs to be easily replaceable because it changes so quickly. We buy cars and keep them for years, people by electronic gadgets and keep them for months. Huge difference. My 3lt came with the nav unit, there was no choice in deleting it, otherwise I would have. At 1500 to replace it with upgraded equipment is a bit much when I would rather spend the money on track wheels and R-compound tires. In the meantime, my cell phone works great as a navigator and mp3 player, though the mp3 function works okay in the NAV unit too. Its too bad the shuffle algorithm isn't smart enough to have a different start point each time you turn on the unit.

I was at the NCM Bash last year and a few of the Corvette Engineers were there discussing the C6 updates. Someone asked (or rather complained) about the cheap GM NAV unit, and the engineer responded that when they were in the development stage of the C6, they put the best (at the time) unit in that they could. The problem was that the specifics of the wiring, placement, etc., that they couldn't improve upon the head unit of the C6, but promised great advances for the C7. Kind of an interesting answer, but I'm sure there was some truth to it because they all agreed that the unit pretty much sucked. So time will tell about the C7 head unit - all signs indicate that it will pretty much knock peoples socks off.

ditto to what eboggs states....
Old 03-23-2013, 01:58 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by mikeCsix

I'm sure there will be a significant upgrade for the C-7's. Maybe this time around, GM will have figured out that technology like this needs to be easily replaceable because it changes so quickly. We buy cars and keep them for years, people by electronic gadgets and keep them for months. Huge difference. My 3lt came with the nav unit, there was no choice in deleting it, otherwise I would have. At 1500 to replace it with upgraded equipment is a bit much when I would rather spend the money on track wheels and R-compound tires. In the meantime, my cell phone works great as a navigator and mp3 player, though the mp3 function works okay in the NAV unit too. Its too bad the shuffle algorithm isn't smart enough to have a different start point each time you turn on the unit.

Originally Posted by TOBASCO
I was at the NCM Bash last year and a few of the Corvette Engineers were there discussing the C6 updates. Someone asked (or rather complained) about the cheap GM NAV unit, and the engineer responded that when they were in the development stage of the C6, they put the best (at the time) unit in that they could. The problem was that the specifics of the wiring, placement, etc., that they couldn't improve upon the head unit of the C6, but promised great advances for the C7. Kind of an interesting answer, but I'm sure there was some truth to it because they all agreed that the unit pretty much sucked. So time will tell about the C7 head unit - all signs indicate that it will pretty much knock peoples socks off.

ditto to what eboggs states....
Don't count on it.
Its same setup in the C7 from what I can tell that's in the Camaro as well. The Camaro system is having issues and people are not liking the My Link there as well. I just changed out a complete setup in a 2013 Camaro last weekend that had the My Link in it with the Boston package. The customer came to me complaining that his 2013 Cruz sounded 100 times better factory than his 2013 1LE Camaro factory radio did. Not anymore as we replaced the My Link with a Kenwood and changed out the rest of the system as well.

It does look like maybe there is a sub on back wall of the C7
Old 03-23-2013, 02:02 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by TOBASCO
I would definitely consider an upgraded head unit and not just the need for a backup cam. When you consider the value of a top end head unit, like the Kenwood DNX series, you will be glad you did.

Dennis at Double D Mods is the best to deal with in both price and service IMHO.

Good Luck!
Thanks Brad
Old 03-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Jstier
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was very disappointed w the Nav unit in our 12 GS Vert compared to the Nav in the wife's 12 Caddy SRX. The unit in the SRX is very user friendly and the unit in the vette sucks.
Main reason we use Nav is for unexpected traffic accident detours and I like ETA feature for longer trips.
I installed a Kenwood w Garmin GPS unit in our motor coach last summer and Love it. If we were planning on keeping the Vette longer I would upgrade to a Kenwood.

Jeff
Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 AM
rgauchey
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Raggtop
Need any advise on after market mods for a backup camera on my 10 GS. I've heard of adapters for my nav system, but not sure of the applicability to the OEM Nav or if I have to get a separate unit and install on sun visor.... Any suggestions or experiences are appreciated.....
I've seen this but haven't talked to anyone that has used it yet.
http://www.coastaletech.com/corvettelockpicks.htm
Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Lockpick as mentoned is not available anymore and was a huge disaster to use. If we sold 10 of them 8 would have problems. Not one we were recommending
Old 03-24-2013, 03:57 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm.

There's a company in Florida that installs a backup camera and they use the factory screen.

Of course, I think it only works on the Grand Sport.

Get notified of new replies

To back up camera options for Grand Sport

Old 03-24-2013, 04:50 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a name, source, by chance? Thx ahead.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Does anyone offer the following?

1. Use of factory USB and aux inputs
2. Mylink like / app based interface
3. Wifi capable
4. Pandora over wifi without use of a phone. Car has a wifi hot stop or is in range of a hot spot.
5. No cutting install. Plug and play.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
Don't count on it.
Its same setup in the C7 from what I can tell that's in the Camaro as well. The Camaro system is having issues and people are not liking the My Link there as well. I just changed out a complete setup in a 2013 Camaro last weekend that had the My Link in it with the Boston package. The customer came to me complaining that his 2013 Cruz sounded 100 times better factory than his 2013 1LE Camaro factory radio did. Not anymore as we replaced the My Link with a Kenwood and changed out the rest of the system as well.

It does look like maybe there is a sub on back wall of the C7
I have a 2013 cruze with the pioneer sound system and the mylink and I really like it. The mylink has a few things I would change but overall the best radio I've had to include aftermarket.

It's sad GM did not change the radio in the c6 to something more up to date.

Quick Reply: back up camera options for Grand Sport