C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading in my 2006 C6

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:55 PM
coolou
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Unhook the radio yourself and drive the car for a few weeks.
I am one of the few people that usually leave what type of accessories on a Corvette alone and that would include the radio that came with the car.
On the Newer Corvettes the sound systems are just fine with me and are better than what I might find on a cheaper new car.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Turbodude
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by flange
Get yourself an inexpensive amp probe or borrow one and shut the car off. take readings on each wire leaving the fuse box until you find the draw with the power off. once you find the wire, it shuldnt be all that hard to determine the issue if you know wiring. I bet if you can isolate the circuit, someone here has a wiring diagram to send to you.

As far as the truck, get an f150 platinum. I have had one of those for two years and love it, until it gets nice enough out to drive the vette.
I've got a nice Fluke multimeter. Dang, I guess maybe I'll try to trace some circuits if I can find some decent schematics. I just always have something better or more interesting/fun to do than work on my car.

I'm looking at a F-350 diesel dually, or Chevy equivalent.

Maybe I need to find another Chevy dealer.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Turbodude
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by coolou
I am one of the few people that usually leave what type of accessories on a Corvette alone and that would include the radio that came with the car.
On the Newer Corvettes the sound systems are just fine with me and are better than what I might find on a cheaper new car.
My new Pioneer system sounds far better than the original 2006 GM unit, plus its got bluetooth for my cellphone and a backing up cam. And I don't need the $$ GM nav system...I use TomTom on my iPhone.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodude
I've got a nice Fluke multimeter. Dang, I guess maybe I'll try to trace some circuits if I can find some decent schematics. I just always have something better or more interesting/fun to do than work on my car.

I'm looking at a F-350 diesel dually, or Chevy equivalent.

Maybe I need to find another Chevy dealer.
i honest to god have the feeling that you're considerably brighter than the people you took your car to.

at least do the basic circuit tests, very good chance you will report back about it being a simple find and blown away by the dealers incompetence
Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 PM
RMcoolX
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ford served me well in my younger days when I had 2 Mustang GTs, 1 Supercrew, 1 Ranger, and 2 Explorers...all purchased new. But when they screwed me over twice on warranty matters, I said bye bye to them and never looked back. In fact, I said bye bye to American and went 335i and 535i. Well, it took GM to bring me back home with a G8 GT and now the Vette.

I hope you have better luck with the Blue Oval than I did.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Otherslost
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

here is my experience with ford... I had a 1990 Mustang GT Vert 5 speed and it was a great car. A few years later I realized I needed a truck so I sold the Mustang and bought a V8 Explorer, great SUV but I needed more space an towing power so I bought a brand new Expedition, two weeks after the car had an electrical fire in the door.Took it to the dealer and they would fix it but I would have to pay for my own rental, EXCUSE ME? I bought a $40,000 vehicle from you two weeks ago and I have to pay for my rental while they repair the damage? Whatever. I needed up paying for my rental and got my Expedition back two weeks later. OK, it's fixed life can go on or so I thought. another month in and I noticed some noise coming from the front wheels, took it to the dealer they tell me the 4 wheel drive system is shot and needs to be replaced. WTF? I never even had the chance to use the 4 wheel drive on it. Again they would not cover the rental car. Another two weeks of me paying for my rental. I called Ford corporate offices and got nowhere. So after problem after problem I decided the truck was a POS and wanted to get rid of it for an F150. I go to the dealer an they had no interest in finding me the truck I wanted and just blew me off. I walked across the street to the Chevrolet dealer and found a fully loaded Silverado 4x4 and drove it home and sold the Expedition. the treatment I received from Ford after being a customer for many years did it for me, I went back to Chevrolet and now my Silverado has almost 200,000 miles and the most expensive repair was a fuel pump at 160,000 miles.

so good luck with your new Ford. I hope it's a good one and you do not need any repairs. My experience was in the SF by area. Ford will never see another dime of my $$$.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:36 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodude
I don't enjoy working on my own car.

I work on 60,000 HP gas turbines, compressors and such, but just do not enjoy working on my own car. Am also a CNC machinist. I just don't like working on cars.

I know..pathetic.
Not pathetic at all. I got in to working on my own stuff because I saw the people tearing into my cars and thought "If that slack jawed hill-billy can do it why the hell cant I?"

Also, I am the head Accountant for 150+ million dollar a year sales company and I dont even do my own taxes. Its not that I cant but I have a Tax Accountant do it for me now (he is a close friend) because he is up to date on everything and I have forgotten a lot in the past few years

Originally Posted by racebum
i honest to god have the feeling that you're considerably brighter than the people you took your car to.

at least do the basic circuit tests, very good chance you will report back about it being a simple find and blown away by the dealers incompetence
Bingo.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Turbodude
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

Not pathetic at all. I got in to working on my own stuff because I saw the people tearing into my cars and thought "If that slack jawed hill-billy can do it why the hell cant I?"

Also, I am the head Accountant for 150+ million dollar a year sales company and I dont even do my own taxes. Its not that I cant but I have a Tax Accountant do it for me now (he is a close friend) because he is up to date on everything and I have forgotten a lot in the past few years

Bingo.
I understand. I may devote an hour or so in an attempt to isolate the problem. But removing the dash is a non-starter.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Just take your time undoing everything. Unplug the girl and drive the car as is.

Listen to the exhaust instead of the radio for a week or so.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:01 PM
dr.stephan
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I bet you dollar for dollar your problem is at the light underneath the hood. If you look at the wiring diagram, a lot starts underneath the hood. Take off the black cover underneath the hood and check the wiring. Good luck either way you go, good luck.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:06 PM
coolou
Intermediate

Just take your time undoing everything. Unplug the girl and drive the car as is.

Listen to the exhaust instead of the radio for a week or so.
Actually I do enjoy listening to the sound of the Corsa exhaust on my 2007 Corvette and being able to think without a lot of interruption of music also talking with my passenger.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:11 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

good luck...see yaa
Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM
XxWarderxX
Advanced

You could try posting on the regional section as well and see if a fellow enthusiast would want to lend a set of hands.

Drink a few beers, make a new friend, fix your car. Not the worst way you could spend an afternoon.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:30 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by XxWarderxX
You could try posting on the regional section as well and see if a fellow enthusiast would want to lend a set of hands.

Drink a few beers, make a new friend, fix your car, take it for a shake down, end up at a strip club. Not the worst way you could spend an afternoon.
Fixed.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 PM
XxWarderxX
Advanced

lol

even better

Quick Reply: Trading in my 2006 C6