C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Elite Engineering H/T pedal

Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Installed Elite Engineering H/T pedal

I installed an Elite Engineering Heel/Toe pedal today.
I had read here and on other 'vette related forums how the pedal could be a bit wobbly when installed so I went in with open eyes realizing a little modification may be in order. I had read a post here on the Forum where a gentleman had placed a 1/4" plastic shim onto the EE screw assembly to stabilize the pedal. This was before EE started sending out a spring to be installed on the screw to minimize loose play in its pedal. So, knowing these things I moved forward.

First I removed the pedal assembly. There are lots of good posts on here on how to do that. It takes a bit of gymnastics to get to it but there are only (2) bolts holding it on. I used a 13mm socket on a swivel extension to remove the (2) bolts. Then you disconnect the electric throttle wire and remove the assembly from the car.

There are also good instructions written by other CF members about how to remove the knurled bolt holding on the OEM pedal. I used the C-Clamp method and it took about 30 seconds to remove. Maybe less.

Well, after my initial installation of the EE pedal it did wobble around a bit, more than I liked anyway, and made a bit of noise due to the metal on metal contact. I took it apart and then reinstalled the OEM pedal to see what level of play it had. It too wobbled around even more than the EE pedal but being made of hard plastic and not having any weight it doesn't make any noise when doing so, thus going unnoticed.

So, still not satisfied, I went to the local hardware store and purchased some 1/16" thick nylon washers that perfectly fit the EE supplied assembly screw. I installed (1) washer between the EE pedal and the OEM accelerator arm. I then installed the OEM pedal spring, the EE stabilizing spring and then (1) more 1/16" thick nylon washer between the EE spring and the EE pedal. I tightened the supplied EE screw with a little blue Loctite on the threads. I then put several small pieces of dynamat on the back of the pedal making sure the pieces could not be seen through the holes in the pedal from the front.

Result: Wobble has been considerably reduced. I'll say 70%. Far less than the OEM pedal when installed and as result of the reduced play and perhaps a bit due to the Dynamat there is zero clatter. All in all a very successful installation from my point of view.

You all know what the pedal looks like. It's very nicely made and significantly reduces the gap between the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal. This is a must have for Heel/Toe shifting so you can blip the throttle upon downshifts, blah, blah, blah, you guys all know this stuff.

Hope this helps if you've been on the fence about this product.

Last edited by Cyber Greg; 01-05-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Great post Greg & thank you. I just order the EE heel-toe pedal & will use the same method for the install. I may even add 2 more washers & addtl backing on the pedal to prevent any slop. I assume you removed the under-dash panel prior to unbolting the throttle assembly?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADVBedouin
I assume you removed the under-dash panel prior to unbolting the throttle assembly?
Yes, I used a trim kit tool to remove the trim plugs which were REALLY in there good. But, even after that it required quite a bit of maneuvering.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for your write up Greg.

Quick question - You mention a new spring? I just placed an order for one earlier today and I'm assuming since my order was recent, I'd have the spring. Does the spring resolve this wobble?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:01 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Even with nylon washers...mine squeaks like crazy!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LFZ
Bummer. Any suggestions on how to make it not squeak? I just placed an order for one so I have some time to figure out a solution prior to the install.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Bummer. Any suggestions on how to make it not squeak? I just placed an order for one so I have some time to figure out a solution prior to the install.
I haven't had a chance to get down there and look at it...I have no wobble in mine, and it's fairly tight....maybe it's too tight???
Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Hmmm, okay. I guess I'll play with it when I get it, maybe add a little bit of white lithum grease before putting it back in the car.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Good write up. Mine son complains that mine wobbles but I have never noticed it. I can make it wobble if I try, but it is rock steady when I drive it. Guess I have moddified my driving style??
Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM
rmp
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a similar experience and reported it to Elite who acted like they never heard of it. I also went to the local hardware store and bought a bunch of different size nylon spacers which worked great and there is no wobble. But, this would have been an easy fix for the manufacturer to make.
Originally Posted by Cyber Greg
I installed an Elite Engineering Heel/Toe pedal today.
I had read here and on other 'vette related forums how the pedal could be a bit wobbly when installed so I went in with open eyes realizing a little modification may be in order. I had read a post here on the Forum where a gentleman had placed a 1/4" plastic shim onto the EE screw assembly to stabilize the pedal. This was before EE started sending out a spring to be installed on the screw to minimize loose play in its pedal. So, knowing these things I moved forward.

First I removed the pedal assembly. There are lots of good posts on here on how to do that. It takes a bit of gymnastics to get to it but there are only (2) bolts holding it on. I used a 13mm socket on a swivel extension to remove the (2) bolts. Then you disconnect the electric throttle wire and remove the assembly from the car.

There are also good instructions written by other CF members about how to remove the knurled bolt holding on the OEM pedal. I used the C-Clamp method and it took about 30 seconds to remove. Maybe less.

Well, after my initial installation of the EE pedal it did wobble around a bit, more than I liked anyway, and made a bit of noise due to the metal on metal contact. I took it apart and then reinstalled the OEM pedal to see what level of play it had. It too wobbled around even more than the EE pedal but being made of hard plastic and not having any weight it doesn't make any noise when doing so, thus going unnoticed.

So, still not satisfied, I went to the local hardware store and purchased some 1/16" thick nylon washers that perfectly fit the EE supplied assembly screw. I installed (1) washer between the EE pedal and the OEM accelerator arm. I then installed the OEM pedal spring, the EE stabilizing spring and then (1) more 1/16" thick nylon washer between the EE spring and the EE pedal. I tightened the supplied EE screw with a little blue Loctite on the threads. I then put several small pieces of dynamat on the back of the pedal making sure the pieces could not be seen through the holes in the pedal from the front.

Result: Wobble has been considerably reduced. I'll say 70%. Far less than the OEM pedal when installed and as result of the reduced play and perhaps a bit due to the Dynamat there is zero clatter. All in all a very successful installation from my point of view.

You all know what the pedal looks like. It's very nicely made and significantly reduces the gap between the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal. This is a must have for Heel/Toe shifting so you can blip the throttle upon downshifts, blah, blah, blah, you guys all know this stuff.

Hope this helps if you've been on the fence about this product.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Thanks for your write up Greg.

Quick question - You mention a new spring? I just placed an order for one earlier today and I'm assuming since my order was recent, I'd have the spring. Does the spring resolve this wobble?
The spring will come with the EE pedal set. The spring by itself will not eliminate the wobble. You will need to add the nylon washers for that.
This is a very simple modification and works great. I also ended up putting a piece of heavy duty furniture leg felt behind the pedal where it meets the OEM accelerator arm. I cut it to fit and used an industrial adhesive to hold it in place. This eliminated the metal on metal clank.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Hmmm, okay. I guess I'll play with it when I get it, maybe add a little bit of white lithum grease before putting it back in the car.

Thanks.
You shouldn't need to grease it. Just make sure the nylon washers are separating the metal of the EE pedal and the OEM accelerator arm. There should be no metal on metal interface. This also applies to the spring side as well.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

You're good. Just follow the instructions I wrote and you'll be fine. There is nothing to squeak if you use a nylon washer between to two metal interfaces as I described above. No squeak, no wobble.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by LFZ
I don't quite understand how that could be happening. The nylon washer is floating between the two metal interfaces. There's nothing to squeak. Did you by chance use mylar washers in lieu of the nylon ones?

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by rmp
I had a similar experience and reported it to Elite who acted like they never heard of it. I also went to the local hardware store and bought a bunch of different size nylon spacers which worked great and there is no wobble. But, this would have been an easy fix for the manufacturer to make.
I totally agree, and adding the nylon washers would not disturb their profit margin at all. Oh well, the one thing I've learned about 'vette owners is that we're an industrious lot.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Follow up: I installed the EE h-t pedal & it went in perfectly & is working great, albeit with one small washer from my tool box added in next to the spring. I also felt it had slightly more wobble than I would like, & the washer solves it.... couldn't be happier with the EE pedals...worth every cent.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bedouin
Follow up: I installed the EE h-t pedal & it went in perfectly & is working great, albeit with one small washer from my tool box added in next to the spring. I also felt it had slightly more wobble than I would like, & the washer solves it.... couldn't be happier with the EE pedals...worth every cent.
That's great!
It is a great pedal set up. I think heel/toe is a misnomer in this case though. I find it works best keeping the top left part of my foot on the brake and rocking the top right part of my foot onto the accelerator. Super easy reach. I also installed a Sprint Booster which made blipping the throttle even easier/faster. I keep it in the green setting all the time.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I installed this pedal on my C5 about a month ago. I have no wobble or squeaks. I did put a strip of duct tape on the pedal lever as recommended in the instructions to prevent the metallic click when the pedal actuates the lever.

Get notified of new replies

To Installed Elite Engineering H/T pedal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed Elite Engineering H/T pedal