C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZL1 Beats GS Lighting Lap Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude
Hmmmm...although I understand that your term "I suspect' is purely speculation on the subject, nothing I've read (extensively) suggests that the ZL1 has trouble with "greasy tires" in 3 or 4 laps. Clearly, every indication from professional road tests of the ZL1, document the fact that the ZL1 is a genuine supercar trouncer on the road course... including the GS. Sure, the comparative test data was from different years and variables will occur, but it's hard to refute the numbers with simple speculation. Perhaps (speculation wise), the ZL1 could have run a faster time last year???

The performance of the ZL1 is pretty much accepted after these tests and the Nurburgring lap records. Contrary to your comment that "any street setup GS will beat any street setup ZL1", (not based on fact)...I believe Z06 and lesser Corvettes without Cup tires will have a handful trying to stick with a ZL1 on the track, all other things being equal. .
Having blasted by a number of ZL1s at the Glen I don't share that opinion. However, it all depends on the driver. I have seen race prepped 1980s era VW Rabbits with an experienced driver outrun high dollar high HP supercars with an inexperienced driver. 400 more lbs is a lot of weight to stop and get around a corner and 200 extra HP doesn't help at all when doing that. Most of the ones I drove by were driven by lower level students while one or two were being driven by instructors. On a track like the Glen where a lot of time is spent in corners the GS has a definite advantage since the ZL1's engine doesn't have the necessary oomph to get the car up to a high enough speed on the straights to regain the advantage. There is one section of turns through the Bus Stop, Carousel and T6 where an experienced driver that knows the track can gain a 1/2 second over an experienced driver that doesn't know the track. After that they exit onto a thousand foot straight near 80 mph trying to use the extra power to make up the 1/2 second while heading into a turn that front heavy high power cars have trouble getting through. Also, remember the faster the car gets going on the straight the more braking it has to do at the next corner to slow to its max cornering speed. After 3 or 4 hard laps (4 laps is ~ 14 miles) street tires start to get hot and will get greasy hindering braking and cornering although not bothering acceleration.

Bill
Old 01-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Cool, but the ZL1 is still an ugly *****.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 01-05-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Language
Old 01-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Cavi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only thing I like about the camero better than my vette is that there is a back seat which would come in handy once in awhile, but that would not be enough reason to jump ship
Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Having blasted by a number of ZL1s at the Glen I don't share that opinion. However, it all depends on the driver. I have seen race prepped 1980s era VW Rabbits with an experienced driver outrun high dollar high HP supercars with an inexperienced driver. 400 more lbs is a lot of weight to stop and get around a corner and 200 extra HP doesn't help at all when doing that. Most of the ones I drove by were driven by lower level students while one or two were being driven by instructors. On a track like the Glen where a lot of time is spent in corners the GS has a definite advantage since the ZL1's engine doesn't have the necessary oomph to get the car up to a high enough speed on the straights to regain the advantage. There is one section of turns through the Bus Stop, Carousel and T6 where an experienced driver that knows the track can gain a 1/2 second over an experienced driver that doesn't know the track. After that they exit onto a thousand foot straight near 80 mph trying to use the extra power to make up the 1/2 second while heading into a turn that front heavy high power cars have trouble getting through. Also, remember the faster the car gets going on the straight the more braking it has to do at the next corner to slow to its max cornering speed. After 3 or 4 hard laps (4 laps is ~ 14 miles) street tires start to get hot and will get greasy hindering braking and cornering although not bothering acceleration.

Bill
...not to mention the toll that multiple laps takes on a heavier car's tires & brakes. If both the ZL1 & GS were running the same tires, same day, I'd still bet on the GS at virtually any track, especially during the later laps.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:44 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It also depends on the person driving the car. Even among professional drivers there can be a large variance in lap times using the same car. One guy likes the setup and another doesn't. One guy drives a better line than the other does. Etc, etc, etc. Add in year to year variables and it is very difficult to make a judgement. Even with more HP the ZL1 has to haul around a lot more weight. Unlike a drag strip where the only issue is getting the weight moving on a road course they have to slow it down and get it around corners. I suspect you will find on average any street setup GS will outperform any street setup ZL1 on a road course. Especially after 3 or 4 hard laps and the ZL1 tires start getting greasy due to excessive heat build up.

Bill
A good driver in both cars on the track the same day, I'm 100% sure the GS would win unless maybe there are some REALLY long straights to use the extra HP. That extra 700 lbs+ takes a lot more to accelerate and slow down, heats up the tires quicker and on a hot day the blower motor will lose HP due to heat soak. I've seen a good driver in a GS beat a decent driver in a ZR1, and a ZR1 will completely smoke the ZL1 Camaro.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,474 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
Nope, the GS time was on Gen1 tires and F55 wasnt available then.

A 2013 vs 2013 would be interesting to see.
WOW, guys, you're missing important points here. Grand Sport, even if it did, only has the FIRST GENERATION F55 available, which is pretty much the same technology as what C5 Corvettes had. ZL1 does not come with the first generation, not even the second generation that comes with the Z07 and ZR1s, but the THIRD GENERATION F55 that is not even offered yet on any Corvette!

It is not the driver, it is the very compliant third gen magnetic suspension that lets ZL1 put down its power. We should also mention it also comes with PTM (but again, it is revised a bit from what Z07/ZR1 comes with). VIR has a pretty rough surface, and awards compliant suspension over stiff, which is what ZL1 excels. On a different track with better surface and/or shorter straights, GS could very well pass ZL1.

I did test drive the ZL1, and I was not that impressed. My story about it here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...and-sport.html

General comparison of Corvette against alternatives in the market:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-hpde-use.html

Last edited by X25; 01-05-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:47 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Stock for Stock...ZL1 is faster than a GS...whether a road course or straight, the GS will have a tough time keeping up. ZL1 has better tires, better suspension, PTM, and more power. It is what it is...
Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I had a 2011 2ss Camaro and now a 2013 2ssCamaro. The suspension setup for 2013 has changed from 2011 car feels more connected and drives and rides better not ZL1 fast but better connected to the road.
z51vett
Old 01-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
I drove the ZL1 and it was great. Much more car than my 2012 or 2013 Coupe.

However, I still like the Corvette better.

ZL1 is a great car, cant wait till it gets rid of about 500 pounds.
I drove a black '13 ZL1 today with a 6 speed manual. A very impressive car with sinister looks! Very fast and nimble even though it is heavy and bulky looking. I too, still like the Corvette better though.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:56 PM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the video?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:01 PM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Trust me this is a good thing for Corvette. The last time a "Non" Corvette GM car was beating a Corvette was the 3.8T Buick GN's in the late 80's. The CEO of Buick was told to back off....which he did not and was fired....also the Corvette got faster

Here is to an even faster Corvertte
Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
I drove a black '13 ZL1 today with a 6 speed manual. A very impressive car with sinister looks! Very fast and nimble even though it is heavy and bulky looking. I too, still like the Corvette better though.
when you buying it?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:19 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by JKbride
Trust me this is a good thing for Corvette. The last time a "Non" Corvette GM car was beating a Corvette was the 3.8T Buick GN's in the late 80's. The CEO of Buick was told to back off....which he did not and was fired....also the Corvette got faster

Here is to an even faster Corvertte
Different times though especially considering both the Z06 and ZR1 woul rape the ZL1..
Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Hat tip to the ZL1.

As an owner of a Callaway GS and a ZR, I can assure folks these PD huffed LS engines are the real deal. And they will run hard on the track.

All the n/a guys can crow all they want about heat soak, but these engines deliver - lap after lap (including setting a new track record at Laguna Seca with with the ZR1).
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by oldstyleGS
when you buying it?

I'm guessing by Easter...
Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Hat tip to the ZL1.

As an owner of a Callaway GS and a ZR, I can assure folks these PD huffed LS engines are the real deal. And they will run hard on the track.

All the n/a guys can crow all they want about heat soak, but these engines deliver - lap after lap (including setting a new track record at Laguna Seca with with the ZR1).
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/08/2...-review-video/
Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

100+ degree temps required a cool down, then they returned to the track with no issues.

I've tracked mine numerous times. I can count on one hand the number of times I've worked them for long periods of time in ambient temps over 100 degrees.

Exactly zero.

Nor will most anybody else.

Get notified of new replies

To ZL1 Beats GS Lighting Lap Time

Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,474 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Hat tip to the ZL1.

From that Autoblog review just referenced (in case you did nit check it out):
...For the most part, we tend to shy away from forced induction on the track as it generates massive amounts of heat. We always seem to run into problems at these hot Southern California desert venues. The Camaro ZL1, despite a liquid-to-liquid engine oil cooler identical to the system on the Corvette ZR1, showed signs of stress after several relentlessly long and hard runs in the 100-plus degree conditions. The oil temperature, normally in the 200-degree range, slowly crept up past 300 more than once and the ZL1's self-preservation mode kicked-in. Rather than risk tying up a hot track with a hampered car threatening "limp mode," we pulled into the pits and opened the hood to let things cool down (for the record, we've had the same thing happen to many other high-performance cars under much less demanding conditions)...
NA cars are always more consistent. GM did a lot to keep the ZR1 consistent during track duty, but even then, most guys who track their ZR1 often end up upgrading their cooling.

The ZL1 gets so hot in hot-summer-regions like Texas, Arizona, etc. that many ZL1 owners reported their A/C stops working in traffic. There is a fail-safe that turns A/C off when a certain temp at the engine bay is achieved.

Last edited by X25; 01-05-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:48 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ozer
From that Autoblog review just referenced (in case you did nit check it out):

NA cars are always more consistent. GM did a lot to keep the ZR1 consistent during track duty, but even then, most guys who track their ZR1 often end up upgrading their cooling.

I actually did read it. And it syncs with my experience with my Callaway and my ZR.

And I noted their issues with extended run times in ambient temps above 100 degrees.

And I noted how often one actually tracks a car for extended periods of time in ambient temps above 100 degrees.

Not very damned often.

And outside those extreme conditions, they run like hell. . . lap after lap.

Now if you are intent on only running lap after lap in 100+ degree heat, then by all means, you should indeed run a NA engine. Outside of that, tho, these LS engines PD huffed do quite fine.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 AM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
I think this is what you mean.

Someone will always be faster.
Agreed! However, when I took my C6 to the drag strip bone stock, it ran 12.8 at 109/110 or so and some of my Camaro5 friends were there. One obnoxious guy running headers, CAI, Tune, Axle backs and DR tires could beat me with 12.65s or so..bone stock Camaro SSs struggle to break into the 12s and most run about 13.3. When I installed the same parts on my C6, my times improved to 12.3s at 113 (no dyno tune yet, just email). My point: either stock or equally modified, my Vette is quite a bit faster.

I really liked my Camaro, but the Vette is awesome, fast and a much more enjoyable car to drive!

Last edited by ParisTNDude; 01-07-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Quick Reply: ZL1 Beats GS Lighting Lap Time