C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Dealer in Columbia totally screwed me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:20 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Something is not right. Something else had to have happend. Almost every dealer has a set of tools to open a locked up car. Only takes a few minutes to open a car.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 PM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I think you need to see your car. The broken window just does not sound right. I hope it is not more then they are telling you.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:33 PM
87C4_4spd
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
Smells like BS to me.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Chevy Performance
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

I would go down there right away to see the car. I highly doubt the broken window was the result of locking the keys inside the car. Get GM involved in this too. No dealership should treat a car like this, especially a Corvette.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM
txsugar08
Pro

Something does not sound right. Sounds like someone might have been playing around and somehow broke you windows. See if the is video in the shop.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Sorry about the incompetent dealer, but congrats on selection. I may be there in February for the Staff Course.

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Well, the whole thing sucks about that dealership ... but I don't think that WOC school at Rucker is even going to let you drive for the first part of the program anyway.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Ron
CW-4, Instructor Pilot, Retired
Just the WOC 500. I dont think its changed since I left there in 03.

Last edited by erick_e; 01-03-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
I would want to see the car at once. It would not be the first time that a dealer smashed a car and used a lame excuse to try and do the body work before the owner finds out. If it is only the window, it is a stupid inconvenience, if it is more than the window, you should know about it. It sounds like they know you are leaving town, so I wouldn't put anything past them.
I was thinking the same thing. Has to be more to it then a window. If you havent yet, go and check out your car ASAP. Good luck with it.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:03 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm wondering if it is more than just missing a key also. My GMC dealer (I don't go to anymore) did it to my Envoy, then they bashed in the side door with the rear seat. At least that is what they said.

Heck just leave the window slightly down if you must leave the keys in the cupholder.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Wtf..

Originally Posted by bucwheat
I agree,a good locksmith can get in any car.I'm thinking it was either broken into at the lot or some dipstick mechanic broke it by mistake.
Yup.. thinking this is the case. Way to many ways to open a car up without breaking a bleeping window.

What year of car is it? Does it have keys or FOB, if it has FOB then this is totally BS.

Dealer needs to come clean on what happened cuz it sure wasn’t that they locked the FOB in the car
Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Looking forward to an update on what you find out once you see the car.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Unbelievable, show up in uniform and tell them you want a free rental, and see where that goes. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Raisin Man
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Could the dealer be trying to conceal the fact the car was broken into?

Like others, I've had car windows broken by vandals. I was finding small pieces of broken tempered glass in the car years after the window was broken.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 PM
wiggins82abn
Advanced

Default Talked to the Service Manager

I went to the dealership and saw the car. The only damage was the broken driver side window and there was nothing missing from the car. I talked with the service manager and his account of the incident was different from what I was told this morning. He said one of the mechanics parked the car last night and threw the keys on the dash, which was outside of the key FOB recognition zone, so the doors locked. This morning the stood around the car for an hour trying to figure out how to get into the car when one of the mechanics stated he worked for a tow truck company and knew how to get into cars. He tried to use a slim jim, which did not work and then tried to go behind the window to pop the hood release. When he inserted the bar the window shattered.

I had direct but polite conversation with the manager and they will have my car ready by 1230 tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. They didn't break the window to get into the car, they broke the window accidently and that was their cover story.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 PM
twin-cam88
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wiggins82abn
This morning the stood around the car for an hour trying to figure out how to get into the car when one of the mechanics stated he worked for a tow truck company and knew how to get into cars. He tried to use a slim jim, which did not work and then tried to go behind the window to pop the hood release. When he inserted the bar the window shattered..

Originally Posted by Pinky...
I'm going to let you in on a little secret. They didn't break the window to get into the car, they broke the window accidently and that was their cover story.
They're lying to cover up their original lie.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 PM
wiggins82abn
Advanced

Originally Posted by twin-cam88

They're lying to cover up their original lie.
Trust me, I know. I think it is just completely outrageous that they think I will believe that the didn't think to use the release in the trunk and didn't think to call me to see if I had another key or ask me permission first.

I am posting all of this to warn anyone who may be in the area.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Guys, guys, and OP--- think about it. Where is the "hood release" they wanted to pop? The front HOOD release.

Isn't it on/in the footwell under the curve of the dash, just beyond the leading edge of the door?

It is virtually impossible to access from a closed, driver's side window with any kind of instrument. Heck, it's almost impossible to access with the DOOR OPEN!

Now, OP if you say they were trying to access the emergency DOOR release which is right next to the seat between the door and the seat, that's a different story. But the HOOD release? No way.

Door release, yes. Hood release, no.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Dealer in Columbia totally screwed me.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:39 PM
wiggins82abn
Advanced

Originally Posted by AORoads
Guys, guys, and OP--- think about it. Where is the "hood release" they wanted to pop? The front HOOD release.

Isn't it on/in the footwell under the curve of the dash, just beyond the leading edge of the door?

It is virtually impossible to access from a closed, driver's side window with any kind of instrument. Heck, it's almost impossible to access with the DOOR OPEN!

Now, OP if you say they were trying to access the emergency DOOR release which is right next to the seat between the door and the seat, that's a different story. But the HOOD release? No way.

Door release, yes. Hood release, no.
It's great isn't it. The Service manager said the guy was trying to pull the hood release...
Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Op, you'll have to pardon me for laughing at your situation, but either they don't know the difference betw. a hood release and a door release OR they were, in fact, trying to open the hood release via the driver's window.

Either way, these are "certified" people all right. "Certifiable" NOT TO WORK on your car, if you ask me.

But, we haven't heard from chev cust svc yet. They may have a different opinion.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:59 AM
Drumhawk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would demand some kind of compensation.

Quick Reply: Corvette Dealer in Columbia totally screwed me.