C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3LT Coupe vs 1LT Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Brian2010
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grand sport 1lt for me. All i wanted was the big brake kit,Larger tires,and wide body.Radio could be swapped out anyway.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW

I have bought and sold around 25 vettes and have found over and over that the loaded ones sell way faster and you get considerably more money for them when they sell. I personally only buy converts and they have to have close to every option available before I will even look at them.

It is even far worse if it is a convert and it is nearly impossible to get any decent offer on a base option convert and even worse yet if it has a manual trans. I have followed no option manual trans converts that have been offered and advertised for months and some for more than a year.

The initial cost savings to buy a stripped base option car are just not worth sacrificing the niceties in the long run and so many end up spending money on upgrading the sound system, adding HUD and on and on in the end anyway.
It's the same with trucks around here. You can get one that's a 4X4 and never use it once. When you sell it the difference in price will be 4 or 5 times the extra you spent on it new and extra gas. No one around here will buy a 2 wheel drive.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 AM
grayline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is soooooo funny
Old 01-04-2013, 04:13 AM
RULOOKIN
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to say 3LT GS all day long had a 05 Z51 coupe just doesnt compare to the handleing and stance of the GS, with that said the huge tires on the GS wear quickly and any road crown or ruts you going to feel the car pull a bit to one side or the other, LOL adds to the fun !

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2013, 11:00 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Darwon
Title says it all, what would be your preference?

This is a daily driver.... I'm leaning towards loaded 3LT coupe.
Honestly there are only 2 reasons to get the GS over a coupe, if you are going to track it, or you like the looks better.

There are significant advantages of the coupe over the GS for a daily driver.

Pretty simple decision IMO.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I have a 3LT convertible, and I'm enjoying the toys much more than I thought I would. My garage is tight, and I don't need the extra width of the GS.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are talking the same dollar figure for either car then it is a no brainer. The GS is much more car for the money.

Some one mentioned they thought the resale on the 3LT would be better. If it were a 3LT GS compared to a 1LT gs then yes but look at the sales figures for the base models and the GS's. Now tell me which one people will be wanting.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:41 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Side-by-side, 99% of people couldn't tell the difference between the two. The 3LT is loaded with an inferior (Bose) sound system compared to the standard system, and the factory NAV system is inferior to any aftermarket Garmin. On the other hand the G/S is the slowest Corvettte, although it does excel at parking lot competition like auto-crossing, and can't be fitted with all-season run flat tires, so it is really only suitable for dry, warm weather use since it comes with summer performance tires that typically wear out in less than 12,000 miles, and are expensive to replace. My advise, keep looking!
I seriously doubt that 99% of people could not tell the difference between a GS and a base coupe... really think about it...take the average person who is not even into cars... walk them around both cars and you'd have to be blind not notice ... GS has the badging, 3 gills on the side, hole in the hood upfront for air inlet... bigger tires, different wheels

sure they may not notice the rear quater panels being wider or the difference in the front section..but the GS does stand out

As far as the GS being the "slowest" Corvette, I don't think that really matters to OP as he has indicated the car is mostly for cruising and trips etc... daily driver and yes by slowest if you mean a 10th or 2 yes.. which again like I've told you before makes it a drivers race between a GS and Coupe at the end of the day.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 PM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

The average joe not into cars wouldn't have the slightest idea that there is any difference at all between a coupe 1LT and a ZR1, I guarantee it.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:07 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

No C6 Corvette is slow.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ny32182
The average joe not into cars wouldn't have the slightest idea that there is any difference at all between a coupe 1LT and a ZR1, I guarantee it.

That is the truth. The non corvette owner is hard pressed to even tell which generation is the newest much less models within the same generation apart.

While I still had both the C5 convert and the C6 convert sitting in the garage for a while many people that saw them both together thought the C5 convert was the newest model of the two.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by ny32182
Yea, if we are talking option packages, clearly nobody is going to know there is a difference between a 1LT and a ZR1..hell I can't tell you what the difference is between the 1LT and 2LT options

I'd bet money if you parked a ZR1 next to a standard coupe , walk them around the outside of the cars they will note the differences ...you think someone is blind enough to miss the gaping window in the ZR1 hood vs the standard hood on a coupe seriously doubt that

Originally Posted by RJRSW

That is the truth. The non corvette owner is hard pressed to even tell which generation is the newest much less models within the same generation apart.

While I still had both the C5 convert and the C6 convert sitting in the garage for a while many people that saw them both together thought the C5 convert was the newest model of the two.
But we are not talking about an average person telling the difference between a C5 vert and a C6 vert... the statement I challgened was laconiajack comment about 99% of people not telling the difference between a GS and a coupe

I would agree 100% the average person has no idea what a "C5" vs a "C6" is , or would be able to tell them apart... they look more alike than people care to admit.... but parks a GS C6 next to a C5 coupe, or C6 I will bet people (NOT EVERYONE) can pick out the difference.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:37 PM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

I'd bet money if you parked a ZR1 next to a standard coupe , walk them around the outside of the cars they will note the differences ...you think someone is blind enough to miss the gaping window in the ZR1 hood vs the standard hood on a coupe seriously doubt that
I've had to explain to four co-workers so far that the easiest way to tell the difference between a C5 and a C6 is the non-flipup headlights.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with any GS over a 3LT base car. My choice would be a 2LT GS around $60K and two of the best things in the 3LT pkg; Nav and HUD
Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

I would not be happy with a 1LT
Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM
meridock
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I just wished some of the basics were in the 1LT package. My 06 Z51 is LT1. I decided I had to have auto-dimming mirror and homelink. I than I added a decent replacement stereo to my wish list. for 1300 backs and 4 hours I had a new NAV (Kenwood with backup cam,) new rearview mirror, and visor with homelink.

that is the functional elements - I wish the 1LT had the mirror and homelink. I have done some interior upgrades that are aesthetic and in the 3LT package, but functionally just those two were important. it was those two that made my Vette a DD.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

loaded 3lt coupe would be my choice.

Get notified of new replies

To 3LT Coupe vs 1LT Grand Sport

Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 PM
RMcoolX
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
I would not be happy with a 1LT
I feel the same way. My salesman found me a really great deal on a 1LT C6 and GS, but I just couldn't do it on either one. The 2LT for $1888 (I paid below invoice) has a lot to offer for the buck on a 2012.

Go 2, 3, 4LT coupe unless you auto-x.

I'll admit that I do love the look of GS (although I also love the cleaner no non-sense 'Batmobile-less' look of the base), but just not to the tune of $6k plus.

Whatever you get, however, love it as we all do ours!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by meridock
I just wished some of the basics were in the 1LT package. My 06 Z51 is LT1. I decided I had to have auto-dimming mirror and homelink. I than I added a decent replacement stereo to my wish list. for 1300 backs and 4 hours I had a new NAV (Kenwood with backup cam,) new rearview mirror, and visor with homelink.

that is the functional elements - I wish the 1LT had the mirror and homelink. I have done some interior upgrades that are aesthetic and in the 3LT package, but functionally just those two were important. it was those two that made my Vette a DD.
I have a '12 1LT and it has the auto dimming mirror with compass and also a 6 way power passenger seat. They have added to the 1LT pkg in later year C6's.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

For a DD, 3LT all day long. If you plan on using the car for what it was intended-the GS beats anything out there.

Quick Reply: 3LT Coupe vs 1LT Grand Sport