C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3LT Coupe vs 1LT Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:59 PM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
1LT is just too stripped down for me.
Agree
Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 PM
trading tiger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
Geez...it's not like a 1LT has no AC, crank windows and manual steering! There are no options that would cause me to choose a standard coupe over a GS. Go look at both of them side-by-side and I don't think you will care that the 3LT has a few extra interior toys. You will still want to be driving around in the GS because it looks so frigging cool!
This is the correct answer. You want the bose sound system? Just pull out the stock speakers and replace/add some quality speakers. You want nav? Pull out your smart phone, garmin, tom tom, or get a map. You want a warm butt? Put more clothes on or turn up the heat. You want a GS/Z06 style body? That's another story.

Point is, there are very feasible, inexpensive ways to replace or even upgrade what those optional "creature comforts" offer. Changing the look of a base coupe to a GS/Z06 is feasible, but it's EXPENSIVE. So much so, you're better off just buying the GS to begin with, even if it is the 1LT.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I'd go with the 1LT GS hands down.. I prefer the looks, bigger tires, brakes ..I've never liked the looks of the C6 non-GS, sorry JMO.

GS all the way.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 PM
CorvetteGerard
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

call me crazy but I wanted my first vette to be a 1lt Grand Sport..just bare to the bones....I used to have an 07 bmw 750 so I definitely miss the heated/cooled seats, telescoping steering wheel and more...but can honestly say I haven't missed any of it one bit. I'm happy with my stock radio and on-star nav.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

GS hands down. Trust me, you will be looking at wide body kits if you get the coupe.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW
Get the 3LT!

A 1LT is for the track and a 3LT if you are going to drive it on the street. Wouldn't buy a 1LT no matter how cheap it was.
And some wouldnt buy an LS2......no matter how cheap it was.

Just busing your *****.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Go with the GS you won't regret it.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:51 PM
CorvetteGerard
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

this thread is turning into the sport mode vs. non-sport bmw 750's type of convo I used to see over at bimmerfest.com....we all have nice cars..corvettes...I don't think there's anything wrong with the 1lt...especially in this type of car..the nav unit you get is about 7 years old software wise..that's what killed it for me...I don't think I saw any 2 or 3lt's without the nav when I bought my car that day.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:33 PM
BLU JET 07
Racer

I would take a 3 LT vs 1 LT anyday. Sure you may not need or want all the bells and whistles at this exact moment, but HUD, F55, Heated seats etc... are nice to have on long trips and at trade in time. It all depends on what comforts you want and what you are willing to spend......
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

I would take the 3LT coupe any day over the STRIPPY 1LT GS...................
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by trading tiger
This is the correct answer. You want the bose sound system? Just pull out the stock speakers and replace/add some quality speakers. You want nav? Pull out your smart phone, garmin, tom tom, or get a map. You want a warm butt? Put more clothes on or turn up the heat. You want a GS/Z06 style body? That's another story.

Point is, there are very feasible, inexpensive ways to replace or even upgrade what those optional "creature comforts" offer. Changing the look of a base coupe to a GS/Z06 is feasible, but it's EXPENSIVE. So much so, you're better off just buying the GS to begin with, even if it is the 1LT.
Not only that, but if the OP decides to add the performance items, those get rather pricey as well....transmission, sway bars, springs, shocks, coolers, etc. depending on how far one wants to take it.

I bought a 2LT GS. The only things I wanted in the 3LT package were the garage door opener and heated seats. I added HomeLink to my visor myself and a local, well regarded, auto upholstery shop will add seat heaters for $700 if I drop the seats off.
Attached Images    

Last edited by 96GS#007; 01-03-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: double pictures???
Old 01-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Remember someday you will want to sell or trade. 3LT is the way to go.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 PM
ButchN
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, all these 1Lt haters.

What 'creature' comforts does one really need?

I have a 1LT coupe & guess what, no nav & no bluetooth is cool, (And one can get a way better aftermkt deck for substantially less than the factory system) I have my smartphone, also, no heated seats, no HUD which I never used in the cars I owned previous with HU & heated seats.
I never used the telescoping steering wheel in my 82, & memory seats, hmm, since only I drive my car no need for 2 different settings.

And the Bose, my pals with Bose GS's sound just like my non bose system.

I saved allot not buying a vehicle with options I do not need & if use, would be rarely ever.

And in the end, I still have a great looking car.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I love my 1LT,I don't need Bluetooth,I have a Jawbone. I hate cars with HUD. I prefer the solid leather seat over the perforated. And saved about $2500 off the price of my GS. My car does have the things that are important to me...Black,A6,Chrome wheels and NPP!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Remember someday you will want to sell or trade. 3LT is the way to go.

I have bought and sold around 25 vettes and have found over and over that the loaded ones sell way faster and you get considerably more money for them when they sell. I personally only buy converts and they have to have close to every option available before I will even look at them.

It is even far worse if it is a convert and it is nearly impossible to get any decent offer on a base option convert and even worse yet if it has a manual trans. I have followed no option manual trans converts that have been offered and advertised for months and some for more than a year.

The initial cost savings to buy a stripped base option car are just not worth sacrificing the niceties in the long run and so many end up spending money on upgrading the sound system, adding HUD and on and on in the end anyway.

Last edited by RJRSW; 01-03-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Grand Sport Torch
Cruising

I am at the other end of the spectrum. I bought my GS because I fell in love with the 4Lt interior. I probably would not have ordered it that way due to the cost. I love everthing else about the car but the view I see most often is behind the wheel, and I do use the heated seats and Nav even though it is antiquated. Bottom line is buy what you like that best fits your budget, that's why they have different trim levels! You really can't go wrong with either one.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Cyberwar
Instructor

I was in the exact same situation earlier last year. Which one to choose?!

I finally decided on the 1LT GS. I just loved the look of the widebody plus I planned on getting the car on the track so the added performance parts were a benefit.

Once I totaled up all the individual pieces that came in each of the LT packages that I wanted on the car, I realized that I could purchase and install the exact ones that I wanted on it myself for 60% less than what the dealer wanted for the packaged upgrades.

Plus, how fun was it to do all the mods on the car myself!? Awesome because I love working on my cars!

To each his own, that's why they made different models. Good luck with your decision!

Get notified of new replies

To 3LT Coupe vs 1LT Grand Sport

Old 01-03-2013, 08:26 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Side-by-side, 99% of people couldn't tell the difference between the two. The 3LT is loaded with an inferior (Bose) sound system compared to the standard system, and the factory NAV system is inferior to any aftermarket Garmin. On the other hand the G/S is the slowest Corvettte, although it does excel at parking lot competition like auto-crossing, and can't be fitted with all-season run flat tires, so it is really only suitable for dry, warm weather use since it comes with summer performance tires that typically wear out in less than 12,000 miles, and are expensive to replace. My advise, keep looking!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 PM
CMCvette
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was in exactly the same position a couple of months ago! I succumbed to the wide body style (which I still admire every day!) and added lumbar padding, hence missing only the HUD (which I didn't find compelling in my C5) and nav (which I don't use in any cars anyway), And find the base stereo just fine. For same price of both cars, I find the GS features even at 1LT level totally compelling and love it. No regrets, but then the GS was gray with gray wheels, which sealed the deal over chromes on the standard body. Take lots of pictures of both at all angles, pore over them, and see which consistently excites you the most. You can't go wrong either way, though, which is the great news!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 PM
gguillie
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 3lt

I have a 2011 1LT Coupe that I drive 60+ miles per day back and forth to work. Great car, but the lack of an OEM Bluetooth (I have a Blue Ant) and a garage door opener (I installed a Homelink opener) has been cause for regret since Day 1. My next Corvette (2015 Vert) will be better equipped or not at all.

Quick Reply: 3LT Coupe vs 1LT Grand Sport