C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My change of heart on run-flat tires vs. regular tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 04:32 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
So the guy was on runflats? What the heck does that have anything to do with Michelin Pilot Super Sports? If nothing happened with runflats, most likely nothing would have happened with PSSs. Have you seen a runflat with no air? It'd provide hardly any lateral grip. And if you have the proper tire pressure, a PSS would NEVER blow out without exceeding its design limits. PSSs are the OEM fitment for many exotics and high-end sports cars, and how many times have you heard of blowouts? In fact, ANY modern radial blowout is all but nonexistent nowadays... again, following proper maintenance guidelines. If somebody is stupid enough to track ANY tire at 20 psi on a 110ºF day at full tilt, then something is going to happen. It's as stupid as saying Evos are unsafe because that one crashed . But to each his own. I'm ditching the G:2s for PSS as soon as they're done. Have a good one folks.
The record attempt was conducted by Nissan UK and they checked the tire pressures. Unlike what you think, the run-flat tire with no pressure did provide plenty of grip. The driver did not even have to do an emergency maneuver to take control of the car. I found the video:

I like PSS tires, but they don't have 'super' powers. Moreover, not all accidents happen due to stupidity :-)
Old 12-29-2012, 09:16 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Banked oval tracks are brutal on tires, run flats or not. Right front takes a lot of abuse. That is why NASCAR uses a tire in a tire technology since they turn left for a few hundred miles. The tire in the video looked pitiful. I'm sorry but if you let your tire wear like that on the street then you deserve a flat. So if you plan on doing oval racing then the run flat is better for you. If you don't have a dry sump engine though you'll have more serious problems than a tire.

I've driven a RF tire with no air in it and it did not feel that safe. I would not even consider pushing the car in that situation. I mostly drove on it because I had a slow leaker (actually two of them) that I noticed the morning after a trip. I even shot air into them at a gas station a mile away just so I would have more confidence (didn't own an air compressor then but I bought one right away after that).
Old 12-30-2012, 12:39 AM
Just Buy It
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I've had my driver's license since 1956 and I have never seen/dodged any road gaters on the highway, and I have never seen anyone changing a flat on the side of the road.

Therefore no semi rig has ever blown a tire, and no car has ever had a flat tire.
UGH. Really Dude?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:17 PM
92Beast
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me the GTR setting a record for one hour does not compare to the ZR1 of the 90's era averaging 176 MPH for 24 hours. Did I miss something? Still have my 94 ZR1 and and a 08 coupe.

Last edited by 92Beast; 02-05-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: 08
Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by 92Beast
Seems to me the GTR setting a record for one hour does not compare to the ZR1 of the 90's era averaging 176 MPH for 24 hours. Did I miss something? Still have my 94 ZR1 and and a 08 coupe.
Just to make sure we're on the same page: Well, this thread is not about Nissan's PR event and if it is valid or not. I only shared it to show how much control run-flat tires provide at 150MPH

Quick Reply: My change of heart on run-flat tires vs. regular tires