C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa top recall but GM Dealer wont service the top

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 PM
zildjianz06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa top recall but GM Dealer wont service the top

Has anyone had this problem?

I have a 2006 coupe with a painted and glass top. I looked at the painted top and there is separation between the frame and the top as stated by SEVERAL forum members. I took the top to my local GM dealer and they said according to the VIN the recall has already been done and they wouldn't help me with anything else. I asked for a print out of all the recall paperwork on the car and went on my way. I think there must have been a typo on the paperwork because it says the car had 26k miles on it then it shows the recall was done a week later and the car had 58k miles on it. Obviously theres no way that is correct. The paper also doesnt say anything about both tops, just checked top and serviced according to recall. Does anyone know what I should do?

Last edited by zildjianz06; 01-10-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM
JLMounce
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This type of situation comes up occasionally and unfortunately there's not a lot of recourse. GM doesn't just arbitrarily start inputting codes stating a recall was done on random VIN's. It's likely the recall was done. However with you being the second owner, GM has no way of know how the top was treated, or even if it was the original top with the car.

Have you verified that the car originally came with both tops? That could be a tell-tale sign.

It's pretty common for users to forget to latch a top and it goes flying off. Since you're not the original owner, you don't know if that happened and neither does GM. They aren't going to warrant another top that a previous owner may or may not have purchased themselves.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Wasn't there two rounds of recalls for the roofs? I thought I read first they tried to fix them with some adhesive, and that didn't work, then later, decided to replace them.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:02 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

A couple of years ago I went in to my dealer for warranty work. The dealer called me as they were keeping the car to work on it. GM had rejected my warranty work as they had got my car confused with somebody elses. So, no warranty work. The dealer knows me fairly well and knew this had to be an error. Something about my vehicle being in an accident and the warranty was cancelled. A couple of months later GM had found out where a computer entry person had transposed some numbers and I am the one that got pooped on. But all during this time I had no warranty coverage per GM. I am just lucky that something serious didnt happen. When they finally got it corrected, no apology, no nothing from Chevrolet/GM. So, my point here is that sometimes errors happen.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Recalls are not cancelled. EVER. Wrecks or time frames,salvage don't stop safety recalls.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:00 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Wasn't there two rounds of recalls for the roofs? I thought I read first they tried to fix them with some adhesive, and that didn't work, then later, decided to replace them.
True. If the dealer won't check to see if the second recall was performed, the OP should contact the NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.gov/Contact and complain to them about GM's refusal to correct the problem.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ketchum;15826627.94
Recalls are not cancelled. EVER. Wrecks or time frames,salvage don't stop safety recalls
Oh yes they do.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

And? Which do you think stops safety recalls?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:27 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Try a different dealer maybe you will have better luck. Can't hurt.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Ketchum
And? Which do you think stops safety recalls?
Totally off topic but do you really think GM is going to do warranty work on a car with a salvage title?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I had to have my roof done twice on my 06. I would contact GM customer service and open a ticket, you may get better answers that way.
David
Old 12-27-2012, 09:34 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

To the OP if you peel back the headliner fabric enough to see under it you can tell if you got the updated roof. The new one is white and the old one is black.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Totally off topic but do you really think GM is going to do warranty work on a car with a salvage title?
Its law that SAFETY RECALLS are too be done on salvage autos if so presented for such. On others,there is not a cut off date. LOOK IT UP. Not just G.M.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Tell me more about this recall. When was it? What year vehicles did it apply to? Where can I get information on it?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

A recall is always open from what i hear.I'll tell you what I did though.I got in touch with a young lady at GM customer service 1-855-880-1500.I explained to her that my just out of powertrain and long out of B TO B warranty 8000 mile 2008 Coupe's glass top was making all kinds of noise because of the latches.She was kind enough to get it handled at the local dealership UNDER WARRANTY!! I'd give that a shot if I were you and then I'd find a new dealer.

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
No warranty on salvage cars and banks don't finance them either from what I hear. GM doesn't even warranty car's bought from DRIVING SCHOOLS like Bonderaunt (sp?).

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 12-27-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Once again. LOOK IT UP. The info is a click away if you know how to use Google or such. SAFETY RECALLS! If its got a VIN number and is on the service drive with a OPEN SAFETY recall GM and the other manufactures pay to get it done. They are forever. Not discussing standard warranty.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by zildjianz06
Has anyone had this problem?

I have a 2006 coupe with a painted and glass top. I looked at the painted top and there is separation between the frame and the top as stated by SEVERAL forum members. I took the top to my local GM dealer and they said according to the VIN the recall has already been done and they wouldn't help me with anything else. I asked for a print out of all the recall paperwork on the car and went on my way. I think there must have been a typo on the paperwork because #1 it says the car had 43k miles on it then it shows the recall was done a week later and the car had 58k miles on it. Obviously theres no way that is correct. The paper also doesnt say anything about both tops, just checked top and serviced according to recall. Does anyone know what I should do?
zildjianz06,

Could you PM me your information (name, number, address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer) so I can look into your situation?

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service

Get notified of new replies

To Targa top recall but GM Dealer wont service the top

Quick Reply: Targa top recall but GM Dealer wont service the top