C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette "the old mans car"

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I bought my first at 55, bang per buck was why.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

OK, OK...I got it (and accept it). I am an old man and thankful for my health, the things I have, and surviving difficult times (Some of my comrades did not). I'm on my 3rd vette and don't give a rat's a$$ what others think. I love my Callaway and enjoy the brotherhood
Old 12-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I also wanted a Vette since I was a teenager, but, couldn't afford one until after I had sent all 4 of my kids thru college, and paid off my house. Sure, it's an "old guy's car" because of a lot of people like me did the same thing. But, looking back, I really didn't have much of another choice.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:11 AM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Since I bought my first vette when I was 28 I didn't consider myself an old man. But that was a long, long time ago. However, my teenage and college age neighbor kids seem to genuinely love my vettes, and they have one their wish list. So l'd say they don't consider the vette an old man's car even though the driver in this case happens to fit that description.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:12 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

It's def the car show/corvette club crowd that gives that impression. 99% of corvettes at local cruises and shows have tacky **** on them and are driven by an old man. They also like to gather in circle jerks and talk about their newest chrome trinket.

I show up at cruises to see friends, I could care less about your chrome valve covers.

I'd rather be at the drag strip or local autox. I'm 27 and it really wasn't a graduation from a lesser car as my GTO was more comfortable and faster, just boredom and the want for something new.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Come on Man, you know this has been an old mans car for years. Why because old men buy them.
Just that simple!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Waited till the kids were out of the house and I had the cash.

It took till I was 60.

Best bang for the buck and it has torque, unlike the previously owned 350Z and M3.

I guess I qualify.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Kimera
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

22 Year Old LS3 Corvette owner here. I am definately not rich... I work at Best Buy... making $12 an hour. I just don't have any other vices except my car =D

Edit:

I should also state that I don't have any kids and live in a $700/mo apartment. So pretty much you got food corvette beater car and rent I pay for pretty much nothing else.... save about $150mo

I'm happy.

Last edited by Kimera; 12-22-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,003 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I bought my first vette ( a '65 roadster) in 1975, I was 22 years old. Unfortunately, it was a daily driver...... all numbers matched, perfect condition. I decided I needed something more practical to drive....... I'd kill to have that car back.

We never had any kids, and both had good jobs so we had money for toys, etc. We just bought Corvette #8 but I figured I had to..... it is the 60th Anniversary model and in February, I'll be 60. Must have been meant to be !
Old 12-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Kimera
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strake
I bought my first vette ( a '65 roadster) in 1975, I was 22 years old. Unfortunately, it was a daily driver...... all numbers matched, perfect condition. I decided I needed something more practical to drive....... I'd kill to have that car back.

We never had any kids, and both had good jobs so we had money for toys, etc. We just bought Corvette #8 but I figured I had to..... it is the 60th Anniversary model and in February, I'll be 60. Must have been meant to be !

That is such a beautiful corvette I am deeply envious. My budget would not allow for a widebody =(
Old 12-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Just 4 2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well thought about buyiny one in 57, bought a bel air instead, couldn't afford the corvette, got married, kids, drolled over a 63 silver split window, too any kids, always wanted a corvette, going down the street one day with wife and saw a black 94 coupe, told wife "i always wanted a corvette", she bought it for me the next day. also have a 2000 vert and bought a new 07 vert on a friday 2 weeks before xmas, drove it to Lingenfelder the next Monday , still have it Want to buy 1 more, take it back to Lingenfeler , then to Europe for about 6 weeks , drive Germany, Swiss and Italy. Been to some beautiful places over there. Old mans car, maybe , I'm 75 but don't tell anybody. Radio talk show girl was telling " You see a good looking corvette and sneak up behind the driver to make a pass at him and its usually some old white hair or bald guy ".. LOL so what , old guys have fun to. If you have one take it to Lingenfelder and take some clean underware with you when you go pick it up. Merry Xmas guys and gals, gals own them too,

Last edited by Just 4 2; 12-22-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:42 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

I bought my first Corvette when I was 19. Bought my second one at 21. Since that time, I've always had at least 2 of then in the garage. 16 Corvette's later, I'm now 57. I always figured that it was the Corvette's that kept me young since it's quite obvious that I never grew up.

Jim
Old 12-22-2012, 10:00 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by SK360
It's def the car show/corvette club crowd that gives that impression. 99% of corvettes at local cruises and shows have tacky **** on them and are driven by an old man. They also like to gather in circle jerks and talk about their newest chrome trinket.

I show up at cruises to see friends, I could care less about your chrome valve covers.

I'd rather be at the drag strip or local autox. I'm 27 and it really wasn't a graduation from a lesser car as my GTO was more comfortable and faster, just boredom and the want for something new.
Don't know what cruises you've been to or shows for that matter....but the ones I've been to .... it's the "youngsters" who put the "tacky ****" on their Vettes. And as far as your GTO being faster....You pick the time and place....and I'll show you FASSSST.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:18 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
Don't know what cruises you've been to or shows for that matter....but the ones I've been to .... it's the "youngsters" who put the "tacky ****" on their Vettes. And as far as your GTO being faster....You pick the time and place....and I'll show you FASSSST.
In a stock LS3 vert? My GTO woulda dragged you down the street. Unfortunately I don't own it anymore which led me to buying the C6 which is painfully stock and slow.... For now.

I don't see much younger guys in C6's around here, I know of a few and they also drive cammed Z06's
Old 12-22-2012, 10:24 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Old man car?...Well I am over 50/
Old 12-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchsport
It's been a topic of discussion often here.
Mainly, it's a car most can't buy until later in life, as it's not a practical family vehicle.

I waited until I saved enough cash. Took me until I was 46.

I have followed a very similar course of action with respect to my "toy" cars. Bought my first (a very used P-928S)
at age 40, then eventually saved enough money to buy new car models & quickly trade-up until I got what I really
wanted. I'm now 57...
Old 12-22-2012, 10:39 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by bobafett
-Where'd this come from?
-How long has it been this way?
-How often do you hear this? (if you do)
-Do you agree?

Like many here, I graduated to a vette after owning trans ams, Camaros/mustangs and actually owning my first (formula) at 16. Ive been a vette fan since then as well as my other little car buddies. Never once did we even think of the vette as an old mans car, but rather the ultimate. Got my 1st vette @ 32. I get compliments on my vette all the time, including from young guys/gals. Whats your take on this old man car stuff?
Since mommy and daddy gave them a 4 banger honda or toyota to drive at 16. Oh and you don't have to wash it or maintain it just buy another junker and continue on.
And the price for a vette is more than the younger Generation can afford. They are not into cars they are to busy texting and playing video games.This how they spend their time oh and working with computers they have nothing mechanical, they don't under stand it.
Nothing but 0's and 1's is how they think a thrill for them is texting and video gaming.
z51vett

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette "the old mans car"

Old 12-22-2012, 10:39 AM
FlyingBear
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TerryL
I'd love to have an old Countach! With the wing!
Surely one of the most spectacular-looking cars, ever. And it was on every (male) teenager's wall as a poster in the 70s.

But, sorry to burst the fantasy, the car was really not very good. I had one back in 1979. It was supposed to make 440hp; if it was 300, I'd be surprised. The build quality was awful, e.g. the roof liner was a piece of felt glued to the roof, and it fell off whenever there was condensation in the car. The a/c never really worked, which was a problem because you're basically sitting under a sheet of almost-horizontal glass. You got fried on a sunny day. There was always something wrong with the car.

Mine didn't have the wing. Maybe that's why it was no good :-)

It's just amazing how build quality on ALL cars has improved in the 30+ years since then. Newer Lambos are just fine (especially since Audi took over). Ferrari got their act together, except for the 348, around 1989. Porsche was always good, and got spectacular in the 90s. Maserati....not so much.

I just got my first-ever Corvette, and am absolutely stunned at the value for money, and the build quality considering the price. Sure, the interior is a little dated and very "Chevy parts bin", but the parts all fit together well.

You're much better off with a late-model Corvette than a Countach, although a well-restored Countach LOOKS amazing. Just don't drive it too much.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Corvette "the old mans car"

Who knew? I'm sure the perception of the Corvette as old man's car came from a predominantly older male customer base. I don't hear it often but from what I know it's been this way for quite-a-while. I wouldn't label the car as such but I don't disagree with the statistical demographics. It is what it is. Typically, the Corvette is prohibitively expensive for younger guys. I think older men often see the Corvette as a reward for years of hard work and practicality. I had a 2-seater sports car in college and then I drove more utility/family-oriented vehicles. I'll admit it, for me the Corvette was a 'reward' of sorts. By the age of 50 I had burnt the proverbial candle at both ends for far too long. I wanted to buy a ‘fun’ car and I could afford it. My teenage daughter (the Queen of Sarcasm) once made the midlife crisis remark about my Corvette. I'm sorry but to me a "crisis" implies the potential for something undesirable. I don't see anything undesirable about driving a Corvette.

Now pushing 60 I may fit the old man demographic but how I use my Corvette doesn't match the stereotype. However one enjoys their Corvette is fine. That said my Corvette isn't a shrine in the garage; I'm not afraid to drive in the rain; I don't go to 'cars & coffee' events or do cruise-in's; I'm not into chrome do-dads; I'm not a 'wash & wax' guy; and, I don't enter the car in beauty pageants. I'm an avid road racer. I'm not the fastest (or the slowest) car on the track but I have a blast with the car. I can assure you some of the fastest cars in the groups I run with are modified Corvettes driven by "old men." Being an "old man" is a state of mind. I know guys in their 30's who seem old. I know guys in their mid-70's who are young at heart. We may all get older but we don't have to let age define how we live. If someone wants to say my Corvette is an old man's car I'm good with that....see ya at the track.

Originally Posted by LS3 Monster
Man if i was a millionaire i would buy a lamborghini, not a corvette.
You'd have to be a millionaire to pay the constant, exorbitant service and repair bills. My friend's Dad used to own 2 Ferrari's. It was good he had 2 because one or the other was always in the shop. Adding insult to injury he had to have the car transported to an authorized dealer 150 miles away. He could well afford it but he tired of exotic ownership and sold both of them.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 520 Posts

I bought my used C5Z06 in 2006 at age 46. It was not that I could not afford one earlier but that I had grown up assuming Vettes were truly old guys cars, they were expensive, hard to insure and difficult to maintain.

Only after a friend loaned me his to drive and told me the real deal and I researched it did I jump on the wagon. I regret I believed the BS all those years and did not get one earlier.

That all said when I pulled in the driveway with my new 2012 base coupe the neighbors boys came over and said..wow you got a geezer car.

Quick Reply: Corvette "the old mans car"