C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Haters

Old 12-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had 2 incidents. On the freeway in stop and go traffic with the top down minding my own business, an older suburban in the car pool lane went by and a teenage boy in the back seat turned around and put his hand out of the window and flipped me off....I just started laughing at him.

The other incident, I was at a red light with the top down. A Gummy Bear projectile bounced off one of the humps on the tonneau cover and landed on the passenger floor. Pretty positive it was the teenagers behind me that did it but there were a lot of cars all around so just didnt acknowlege anything and drove on...
Old 12-21-2012, 07:24 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had a negative comment on my C6 CRM coupe in four and one-half years of ownership, either in NH, nor since moving to NC, but rather receive favorable comments on it virtually every day. Last week I had a gas station attendant comment: "Thank you for bringing your car in here, it's not often I get to see a beauty like that". Yesterday coming out of restaurant a women lowered her window and said: "That's my dream car, and I'm going to get one as soon as we get the kid's through college". We live in "Race City USA", not only the home of most NASCAR race teams, but the industries which support this largest spectator sport in the USA, so locals are car conscious and quite knowledgeable, and many drive upscale cars. Of course, I don't go out of my way to have my car look "aggressive" as some do, because what does that say to others?. I don't flaunt disrespect of the law and my fellow citizens by blacking out tail/brake lights and side marker/back-up lights; nor am I inconsiderate of others by "pulling the fuse" on my NPP exhaust system, nor installing annoyingly loud aftermarket exhaust systems. I also don't think driving a Corvette makes me superior to anyone else, after all it's just another Chevrolet, and I don't use the word "Haters" because that might classify me as one who lacks command of the English language.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:36 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I've never had a bad comment either...only good, but then I live in the country.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:56 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Just once at a stop light on a busy 4 lane road. From all the way across the road & median, from the opposing lane a couple of turds in a rusty old dodge truck with a huge exhaust leak yelled out "P.O.S. Corvette". (Black '11 ZR1)

I just shook my head and chuckled a bit as I looked to see the rustbucket & missing links take off down the road waving their arms out the window. Sometimes the gene pool just needs a little bigger shot of chlorine.

Other than that, everyone I've met or seen on the roads, gas stations, or parking lots have been very, very nice.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:57 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

I haven't had any negative comments yet, but it is obvious on the freeway some people notice a Corvette going by and speed up and pull in front of me, and then often slow back down

When I talk to people they have always been nice and are very surprised it didn't cost near as much and gets much better gas mileage than they thought.

I did have one guy at a light with a Prius give me a dirty look and then jack rabbit start to beat me to where the road narrows. I let him go, I was laughing so hard I couldn't shift anyway.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Jackb0524
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
I did have one guy at a light with a Prius give me a dirty look and then jack rabbit start to beat me to where the road narrows. I let him go, I was laughing so hard I couldn't shift anyway.

I like that one I bet he told his friends that he beat a corvette!!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Just Buy It
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bearphoto
I have not experienced any hate, just the usual ricer or mustanger that comes up and revs their engine. I just ignore them, they mean nothing to me. I'm happy to talk to anyone about the cars if they want to listen.
Same thing with Ricers and Stangs on Long Island. It must be national!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:08 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EVRose
Nope. All I get are compliments.
Same as above. I have to wonder about some of these stories. It is just so contrary to my experience with corvettes.

Could it be the way your driving, parking, look?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by boraxman
Have not experienced hate here myself but then its pretty common to see Lambo's, Ferrari's, Jag's, Aston's at the local Walmarts here in So. Cal/
peopleofwalmart.com that aint
Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 PM
gaklid
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-21-2012, 08:46 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by boraxman
Have not experienced hate here myself but then its pretty common to see Lambo's, Ferrari's, Jag's, Aston's at the local Walmarts here in So. Cal/
How do you think they were able to afford their high end cars, by going to "high end" stores and pissing their money away on "designer" clothes, all of which come from the same low labor cost countries as any others? I find it rather funny to see "high end" purses for $1,600. on sale at "consignment" shops for $600.00, when next week you can buy virtually identical products at Walmarts for $60.00. Whatever.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 PM
O TAZ
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

had since July one problem that been a door ding , and don;t park close to anyone at the store , but it happen some way , so somthing happen , the older i get i find out that if your your a car guy , you don;t mess with anybody car , but also know there some out that just because they are to lazy to work , they seem to think they have a right to crap on other hard work ,
Old 12-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I would say experiences like these, both the positive and the negative, have more to do with the state of mind of the driver and less to do with the car. I continually remind myself that no one is better than me and no one is less than me, regardless of what they are driving, wearing, their political beliefs, etc.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:36 PM
rsssguy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Haters

I say we give the haters a collective salute. Imagine a world where everyday, we wake up to everyone wanting to enjoy the finer things in life and doing what you have to do to achieve same. Of course that requires work ethic, generally speaking a solid education in many cases and the drive to succeed regardless of what your personal circumstances are. That would be me. I have owned a stable full of some of the finest muscle cars on the planet and I have worked for every bit of it. Haters gonna hate and I appreciate every bit of it. Thank you. I have only had a few instances where this kind of thing has happened and I'm on Vette number 7. My new Cenntenial Callaway has been nothing but positive. I say thank you to the haters. Now......wake up after the holidays and finish that one last class you've been working on to get your G.E.D. Peace out. Long live work ethic and the American dream.....which should always include a Corvette.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:48 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
Why do all these types of threads have a 'I'm a 20/30 something' blah blah blah, bottom line is so what.
Originally Posted by LFZ
I agree....so what. You're in your 20s and own a Vette...you supposedly worked hard and made good decisions...so what. The "look at me attitude" draws the hate.

Because subconsciously they feel they have acheived something great earlier than society believes they should have. They're then transferring those internal pat-themselves-on-the back thoughts to exlplain their assumptions of other people's opinions. They think everyone is jealous of them and they start believing their own hype.

Maybe others are "hating" because:

-You're overall appearance/attitude suggests douchery.
-You're driving like a privelaged ***** who thinks he owns the road because he's in a Vette.
-They don'y like Corvettes.
-They think you're killing the planet with your "gas guzzling sports car".
-They really are jealous of you for having a Corvette at 27.
-They're just miserable assh*les.

The above may or may not refer to the OP and his situation but these threads usually do come from people who somehow feel having a Corvette warrants more attention than it really does.

JMO, which isn't worth much.

Originally Posted by Cyber Greg
...I continually remind myself that no one is better than me and no one is less than me, regardless of what they are driving,...

Don't worry what or why other people think. Just enjoy your Vette.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm sure there are the jealous, ignorant, wealth-envy types who'll key a nice car (or who knows what else) but I haven't experienced any real Corvette haters. Owning a Corvette has been all good for me.

Originally Posted by z06inVB
When I had a new Challenger R/T I was always getting thumbs up, getting stories from people who either had one, wished they had had one or wanted one.

I dont get any of that with the new C6
. In fact it is usually some comment about being in middle aged crisis, over compensating for a small dick or how it must be nice to be rich.

Usually when I tell them I have a car that cost 38k new, that gets around 30mpg on the road and is cheap to insure they are sort of shocked.

It just seems that Vettes are generally misunderstood. At least around here. I admit before I got mine and was always into Mopars we called the Vette guys at cruise ins the windex brigade because we felt they had no clue about their cars only how to stick on more chrome under the hood.
I don't know anyone but I'm sure the Challenger has a following. I agree the Corvette is misunderstood....most people don't have a clue....all they see is an expensive looking sports car. They'd be surprised to learn that Chevy costs less than their truck, looks great, runs fast and gets damn near 30 mpg on the freeway. As for the "windex brigade," maybe if the Mopar guys spent some time at road course venues instead of cruise-in's they'd discover the serious Corvette performance enthusiasts....not much windex....no chrome.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:15 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O

I don't know anyone but I'm sure the Challenger has a following. I agree the Corvette is misunderstood....most people don't have a clue....all they see is an expensive looking sports car. They'd be surprised to learn that Chevy costs less than their truck, looks great, runs fast and gets damn near 30 mpg on the freeway.

Very good points. It's funny how some people don't realize the C6 is cheaper than their SUV or fully loaded Pick Up. People would be amazed at how many more expenisve cars they see everyday that they never give a second look. Of course the Corvette isn't practical so you could assume they have another car as well.

Originally Posted by Wayne O
As for the "windex brigade," maybe if the Mopar guys spent some time at road course venues instead of cruise-in's they'd discover the serious Corvette performance enthusiasts....not much windex....no chrome.
It always makes me laugh when people at a car show make fun of other people at the car show for waxing/cleaning their cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Haters

Old 12-21-2012, 11:53 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I hate the car more than people looking. Just had so many becomes,
so what. Most are like little kids about to wet there pants.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:25 AM
85mcss
Instructor

All dealings up until a few weeks ago have been great.

It only takes one to ruin your day, though..

Took the car & woman out one night for dinner and parallel parked in my favorite lone spot in front of an adjacent bldg (it's actually usually taken by another sports/luxury car so I was happy to nab it that night) In that spot, there is only one marked (& legal) parking space with corner of the intersection in front and a driveway entrance behind. We went in, had a great dinner, and began to leave. I went out first and started the car to bring it around front. About that same time, a white Nissan truck swerved in front of me (as I'm still parked) and proceeds to throw it in reverse and nail it in reverse towards me. I immediately jump out of the car and get out of the way while waving frantically.. The guy then slammed on his brakes and slid to a stop with his (luckily) raised hitch OVER the nose of the car. I was very upset but thought maybe he didn't see my car there for some reason or another.

The guy then hops out of the truck and gives me a pissed off WTF are you waving/yelling at gig. When I point at the car, he starts to laugh and say, "Too bad I didn't hit it". I then told him he was parked illegally and told him he needed to at least pull up away from my car, to which he instantly said GTFO and started pulling his shirt off like he was going to fight.. I'm not a small guy but this guy was definitely bigger than I wanted to go a round with by myself and, in addition, there wasn't even anyone around as a witness..

To make a long story short, I was absolutely furious and it took every last ounce of control I had to get in the car and leave after saying a few choice words. The guy even went as far as hopping on the back of his truck to bounce and see if it would touch and act like he was going to step on the hood as I was leaving.

Ended up doing a QUICK lap around the block and picking the woman up at the door as I had planned. I knew I was in the right legally and was better off not letting him get to me but it just pissed me off for the next few days straight. I did get his tag number and found where he lived but never had the time or energy to waste on a post-vist. I often wonder if I would've made it through a round with the dude before police showed up or if I would've been pounded and woke up with a smashed hood, among other things.

Sorry for the novel!

Last edited by 85mcss; 12-22-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Jackb0524
Advanced

"too bad I didn't hit it" ....

Glad you controlled yourself but damn!! I wouldn't have I don't think. Especially someone getting that close!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette Haters