C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 427 Collector's Edition Truly A Collector's Car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 PM
MorePwr18
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
Collectables are a funny thing. The fact of the matter is, that the only true things that are collectable are the things no one thought of collecting. Now that they have survived they are now considered rare and collectable. Today, so many things are made as "collectables" that they will be plentiful and therefore not worth that much.
With that said, the '13 427 Corvette Convertible is a one year model and a very desireable car. Whether it turns into a collectable is anyone's guess. I'd love to have one, but I wouldn't buy it as a collectable...I'd drive the wheels off of it!
Well stated.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:40 AM
7thgeneration
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

Facts schmacts, The truth is NO ONE knows PERIOD ! But of all the C-4's , C-5's and C6's built this one does have the numbers in it's favor. !
Old 12-15-2012, 11:48 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Ok I'll concede to the word DESIRABLE as opposed to collectable...That might be the better term...

But that still makes it worth more...

Speaking of desirable...I'm going out for a saturday drive...
Old 12-15-2012, 11:56 AM
C3-PO
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

really?? it will only be "collectible" if Jay Leno gets/has one. forget about popularity, rareness, style or historical value. it's all about 'keeping up with the Jones's' (pardon my olde age reference) ... right. 25-30 years from now there will be a barn somewhere with one in it that has 95 miles on it or one rotting in the desert that had been dumped 15 years before. if this is your car, then it is "collectible". giving it to your kids to have when they get older to experience what you valued when you were that age is a moot point. they will never really appreciate it and when your gone, they will trade/sell it for the latest electric/solar/air hybrid around because it will not use gasoline anymore. "No gas, No gas, No gas!"

P.S. In all fairness ... in the past, the 427 was a decent motor, but the thrill of the SS396 will never die, which is very close to the LS3 (376 cu in). the c7 will no doubt will have a 409. To quote the Beach Boys .... "She's real fine , my 409". Marketing, marketing, marketing ....

Last edited by C3-PO; 12-15-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: hilarity
Old 12-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I wasn't attempting to make any type of prediction regarding "collectibility" or future value. All I was saying that in my opinion it's the most desirable C6; in other words, it's the one that I like the best. I'm not making any attempt at figuring out if anyone else feels that way or how many people might feel that way 50 years from now.

Bingo. Paul hit the nail on the head.

Again, I simply expressed how I feel about the car.

There will be no "facts by sales numbers" that will cause me to be wrong about finding the 427 Convertible to be the most desirable C6. My preference has nothing to do with sales numbers.

One more time: I never claimed that the 427 Convertible will be preferred by anyone (present or future) except myself.
Actually "IMO, it is the most desirable" and "it is the most desirable to me (myself, I)" mean two different things. Your statement was misleading at best.
Oh, and how do you quote me, when you have me on ignore?? ****, ****, pants on fire.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:01 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

People love their Corvettes. Unfortunately, not many Corvettes since the mid-70s have become collectable IMHO. Too many low mileage C4-C5-C6 garage queens have been stored by people who hope they'll become as desirable as a '53, '63 coupe, or C2-C3 big block. Eventually supply & demand kicks in. Too much supply, too little demand.

My belief, future generations of antique car buyers will crave the cars they lusted after as youth. Ask 20-somethings what they would buy today if money is no concern. Is it a ZR1? 427? CTS-V? 911? GT-R? MB-AMG? BMW-M? Bentley? You may find clues in their answers. And Corvette marketing needs to feed that lust to keep Corvette relevant for another 60 years.

As for the 427, it's a gorgeous car, endlessly powerful, thrilling to drive, and it makes me grin like a fool. If it becomes a car that's craved by future generations of antique car buyers, that just means the 20 & 30-somethings today have good taste.

Cheers,
JB

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-15-2012, 01:21 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Actually "IMO, it is the most desirable" and "it is the most desirable to me (myself, I)" mean two different things. Your statement was misleading at best.
Oh, and how do you quote me, when you have me on ignore?? ****, ****, pants on fire.
Guilty as charged. That's right - I spend my life trying to come up with new ways to mislead people on Corvetteforum.com. Maybe you should straighten me out by sending me yet another one of your profanity-loaded, name-calling, hostile PMs.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Guilty as charged. That's right - I spend my life trying to come up with new ways to mislead people on Corvetteforum.com. Maybe you should straighten me out by sending me yet another one of your profanity-loaded, name-calling, hostile PMs.
That's a stitch! Really? Fortunately, I've never been the recipient of one of those. I may even have someone on my ignore list...

But then, I also consider the 427 convertible the most desirable, to me and potentially no one else, model of C6 out there. It could be because it's a convertible, or because it has some extra stuff to go along with the 427, some of which is needed. Or because this time they really did come up with a unique "stripe" for the car besides something vinyl . Whatever MY reason(s), I like it. I don't think, or really know that I would've popped for it, and if I did, I doubt it would ever be collectible, or worth a lot in my lifetime.

Things tend to happen that way....I almost bought a '78 Pace Car for its future value----but I didn't have the money. And I couldn't see peaking under the car cover which I'd have to put on it for the next 30 years since, to me, it was so bland looking.

That wasn't the same feeling I got with the (convertible) C5 '98 Indy Pace Car special --- I almost sprung for that Purple with Yellow wheels convertible, with graphics because I thought it was cool. That was a real looker, IMO. Of course, any car cover on it would have melted after a short while....

Last edited by AORoads; 12-15-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:04 PM
NBVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know about the "collectible" tag but anyway you look at it, it is a rather rare and unique model for many reasons and I think true Vette nuts will always turn their heads when they see that "427' badge.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good comments to my op on the 427 CE..... well, except for the one post from the troll. The one factor going againt the collectibility of the 427 is Chevy's cursing it by naming it "Collectors Edition" lol. But imo I think the biggest thing going for the car is the LS7, simply because I don't believe we'll see that amount of displacement in a Corvette ever again. So all you Z0Sixer's out there? You're in great shape too!

Last edited by Rathmullan; 12-15-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-15-2012, 02:41 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Take a look at the value of a 2007 GT500. The answer is no.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:32 PM
l88rocket
Melting Slicks

I think the 60th anniv models(white/w blue stripes) will be collectable the regular ones will just be 427 cars.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:24 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Honestly, the only way these cars will (maybe) surpass its original MSRP is if the US Gov't outlaws cars in the future with high HP -- low MPG
Old 12-15-2012, 05:02 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You want a collectors car?

Go buy a 2013 CTS-V Wagon with a 6-speed manual. Guaranteed to be at Barret Jackson in the next 25-30 years.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:48 PM
drarmen
Cruising

I think everyone will have to wait over 20 years to have an answer to this question. I like everyone who owns this car hopes that I'll get big bucks when and if I resell it. But many things will affect the collectability of any car. In the most basic terms, it will depend on how much people want it in the future. It depends on how rare and unique the car is perceived in the future. Its the difference between a '69 Chevy Camaro or it's Pontiac counterpart. People will look at the cars produced before and after and will decide how special it is. The truth is, despite what GM has told us, less than 2000 people have bought 427 Convertibles. It may not be all that desirable of a Corvette after all. But more than likely, if everyone here still likes the 427 Convertible 20 plus years down the road so will everyone else.

Having said all this. You will have a potential glimpse of the collectability of the 427 when you see how the C7 is welcomed and whether or not a faster Corvette convertible will be made in the near future. As far as resale value goes, and you can take this with a grain of salt, I was told by a salesman at my Chevrolet dealer that Corvettes with the 60th Anniversary design and stripe package will be worth about 20 percent more on average compared to a comparable 427 Convertible without. Moreover, Callaway 427 Convertibles, and the like, will be worth the most of all if you can find someone to sell it to--someone rich enough to buy one who prefers to by your used Callaway over getting a new one.

The best thing is to tell the wife what a great investment the car is, then buy the car and enjoy it and hope 20 plus years from now if people will envy you driving down the street they will want the same car too and help make it a classic collectible.

Last edited by drarmen; 12-15-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:03 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

We all know that it isn't a real collector's car until GM puts the "Limited" badge on it...That's what makes a car a collectable.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:31 AM
R50THC5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

It all boils down to "We shall see".. I will keep mine for a few years, perhaps a person that miss his/her chance to get a 60th, may desire mine being a rare Callaway version. Until then I shall enjoy and drive it.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:53 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by hulksdaddy
You want a collectors car?

Go buy a 2013 CTS-V Wagon with a 6-speed manual. Guaranteed to be at Barret Jackson in the next 25-30 years.
That will be an unusual and desirable car.

Cheers,
JB

Quick Reply: Is the 427 Collector's Edition Truly A Collector's Car?