C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a "Tune"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's a "Tune"?

I mean, I have a general idea what it is but:

Who performs them?

Where are they performed?

Do they involve the installation of a chip?

Does a tune void the GM warranty?

Is it a one time deal or are they only good for a period of time or number of miles?

Is there any hard data that shows it benefits perfomance?

How much should one expect to pay?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Mixedup
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Default so where you been ...

wow ... just wow .... normally HATE those who say you should search ....

but since you spent so much time to post your ?'s .....

I just had to reply ...

I've got a "tune and enjoy" but many will tell you ....
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Rathmullan

Who performs them? usually performance shops but not always

Where are they performed? in a shop with a dyno

Do they involve the installation of a chip? there are no chips in your car unless it has paint chips

Does a tune void the GM warranty? usually, yes

Is it a one time deal or are they only good for a period of time or number of miles? one time deal

Is there any hard data that shows it benefits perfomance? yes

How much should one expect to pay? $400-$500

Thanks in advance
Welcome
Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Welcome
Yep.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Brief!

Going to be brief! A "tune" is modifying a computer/s in your car, engine, trans, etc. for improved performance! GM downloads are OK, others are not. Contact local Vette club to give advice on local tuners in area. Check "performance shops", ask for "tuners", look in yellow pages near or in your city. Put your city and location asking for tuners in your area on CF.

TUNE = LOST WARRANTY, period per GM, they check computer printout and send to GM on your car if suppected and GM gets copy before approving suspected repair or repairs or possible "red flagging" your car VIN #. Dealer has to get approval for major warranty repair or dealer may have to pay for it, their loss. Under unusual conditions, sometimes GM pays, most likely not. NON engine, drivetrain, etc. is normally coverered if NOT affected by tune directly or indirectly, dealers and GM option on covering.

Final: YOU PAY TO PLAY!

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 12-10-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Beatles...Hey Judy, that's a good tune.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Who performs them?

Where are they performed?

Do they involve the installation of a chip?

Does a tune void the GM warranty?

Is it a one time deal or are they only good for a period of time or number of miles?

Is there any hard data that shows it benefits perfomance?

How much should one expect to pay?

Thanks in advance
Not sure if your post is a joke or whether in spite of all the performance info available on the Forum, you're really this clueless, but I'll answer you questions simply as I can. A "tune" is an electronic adjustment of the engine & or transmission control modules in the Corvette. The purpose of such adjustments is to improve performance and/or better match the electronic settings of those modules to other modifications that may be made (i.e. headers, after-market exhaust or intake, cam, etc). Tunes are performed by performance or competition shops, with or without use of a dyno. The tune does not require installation of a "chip", but does override the GM factory settings in those modules. Thus the concern voiced about voiding warranty. There's much that's been posted about whether or not that's a true fact & the answer appears mixed....mostly dependent upon the nature of the warranty work & "friendliness" of the service manager. Once done, the tune does not require any "refresh" & the original factory settings can be restoreed if desired. Cost is generally in the $100-$200 range, although will vary from shop to shop. Finally, does a tune benefit performance.....absolutely! Most times a tune is done in conjunction with other mods, so it may be difficult to segregate the benefit of the tune versus say installation of headers & after-market exhaust, but even with a totally stock drivetrain, a tune by a good performance shop tech will result in improved power, driveability & even fuel mileage. There's certainly much, much more available on this subject so I suggest you do searches on the Forum or get involved with a local Vette club who will also recommend a good local shop if you decide to have the work done.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

Thanks both to you and 2006c6Keller for having the courtesy to answer in a serious manner. Yes, I am clueless. Guess it's not okay to ask dumb questions here. I'd just rather that if others think the question dumb they just skip over it and not bother to respond at all.

I get it now, thanks to your answers. At least for now, tuning is not for me, especially if it risks voiding the warranty and who really knows what the longer term consequences could be? A have to believe that if there is easy horsepower out there the General would have built it into the original design. I'll wait for the General's own tunes in the form of NPP, the LS3, new software for the autos that showed up in 2012, the new LT1, etc, etc.

Thanks again for being gentlemenly.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Thanks both to you and 2006c6Keller for having the courtesy to answer in a serious manner. Yes, I am clueless. Guess it's not okay to ask dumb questions here. I'd just rather that if others think the question dumb they just skip over it and not bother to respond at all.

I get it now, thanks to your answers. At least for now, tuning is not for me, especially if it risks voiding the warranty and who really knows what the longer term consequences could be? A have to believe that if there is easy horsepower out there the General would have built it into the original design. I'll wait for the General's own tunes in the form of NPP, the LS3, new software for the autos that showed up in 2012, the new LT1, etc, etc.

I find this forum to be the most informative of all the Corvette forums and I have learned a lot in the little over 6 years I have been visiting it. But there are those that true believe that they are the elite and have to post negative comments to just about any post that asks a question. I believe that if you find the question not to your liking, simply hit the back button and look for another post. I simply cannot understand the rude, condescending comments that some members feel they need to post.

I guess that is the internet, when you sit behind a monitor and not face to face you can try to show superiority.

Glad you got your answer..

Oh, one last point, the SEARCH function is not the best thing going. Although some seem to think it is, I found that many times if you use Google instead of the search here you will find it supplies you a link right back to this forum and a post dealing with your question.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:56 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Plenty of people know what the long term consequences could be, next to nothing on a stock car. This is not a new thing.

There is easy horsepower out there, at least a few in a bone stock car with a proper dyno tune. The calibration from the factory has to be something they can apply to tens of thousands of cars and have them all run in an acceptable range. Cars vary build to build and what one car thrives on another will knock. With a proper dyno/street tune you are getting a new calibration specific to your car which can help extract a bit of untapped power.

There is also easy horsepower in bolt ons/cam swaps etc and the reason they don't come that way from the general are NVH, the EPA and driveability.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:20 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Though sensors are the same some will read slightly different than others. Its why one tune for your car may not be the exact same for mine.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

BWF07:

Thanks for your comments. Glad to know it's not "just me". Same ole everywhere, I guess....even among Corvette enthusiasts.
Meanwhile, I've learned precisely what you are talking about regarding the search function. I too now just search on google and it directs me to the appropriate forum thread even though the forum's own search function can't seem to find it. Go figure! Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:22 PM
sprta
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I am a new Corvette Owner late in life and I also had some questions regarding a Tune and what it is. Reading the forum over time and some of the responses to threads for newbies made me hesitate to ask the same question as the OP. Tried using the search function but the answers were sometimes super technical and not very user friendly. The answers provided above were spot on for people like me. We need to keep in mind that your answers are viewed by many persons who do not respond to the thread but nevertheless find the answers very informative. So for the guys who responded THANKS!!!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Qicsilvr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sprta
I am a new Corvette Owner late in life and I also had some questions regarding a Tune and what it is. Reading the forum over time and some of the responses to threads for newbies made me hesitate to ask the same question as the OP. Tried using the search function but the answers were sometimes super technical and not very user friendly. The answers provided above were spot on for people like me. We need to keep in mind that your answers are viewed by many persons who do not respond to the thread but nevertheless find the answers very informative. So for the guys who responded THANKS!!!!!
Ditto
Old 12-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

If you do a Google search I find it also helps to add corvette forum, i.e. C6 Corvette engine tune corvette forum.

That will bring up a wealth of pertinent info.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 PM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by BWF07
I find this forum to be the most informative of all the Corvette forums and I have learned a lot in the little over 6 years I have been visiting it. But there are those that true believe that they are the elite and have to post negative comments to just about any post that asks a question. I believe that if you find the question not to your liking, simply hit the back button and look for another post. I simply cannot understand the rude, condescending comments that some members feel they need to post.

I guess that is the internet, when you sit behind a monitor and not face to face you can try to show superiority.

Glad you got your answer..

Oh, one last point, the SEARCH function is not the best thing going. Although some seem to think it is, I found that many times if you use Google instead of the search here you will find it supplies you a link right back to this forum and a post dealing with your question.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:12 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

There are no dumb questions on this forum. We are all here to share and learn.

Get notified of new replies

To What's a "Tune"?

Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyber Greg
If you do a Google search I find it also helps to add corvette forum, i.e. C6 Corvette engine tune corvette forum.

That will bring up a wealth of pertinent info.
Even better, search site:forums.corvetteforum.com searchterms

That limits the search to the specfic website.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 PM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sprta
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Jaycajun
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a tuner checking my car today to program it for a 160 thermostat and I have to admit that I was a bit blown away while watching the guy doing his work on the laptop. He showed me all of the files in the tune and its pretty amazing how far technology has come. I remember my 82 vette had a "computer" in it. You shorted out some of the prongs with a paper clip and counted the flashes and that gave you a code that you had to look up. What I saw today looked my the "my computer" area of my PC with all of the directories and sub folders. So much for changing jets and using a timing light......

Quick Reply: What's a "Tune"?