C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won a trip to the Ron Fellow Driving School!!!!! But have some question about it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM
C6_manny
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Won a trip to the Ron Fellow Driving School!!!!! But have some questions about it.

For those who are subscribed to the "corvette" page on FaceBook, you may remember they had a contest a couple of months ago that you could enter with a pic or an essay about your corvette experience, i think it was called "Corvette Become Part of Our History Promotion". Well I never expect to win but just for the hell of it i entered and wrote my corvette experience. And to my surprised I actually won the trip, which includes flight, hotel, and admission for 1 to the Ron Fellow Performance Driving school. I was definitely shocked since I've never actually won anything before so im beyond excited to do this. they already booked my flight from Miami to Vegas for the 14th this month and i come back on the 16th. I think the only thing i will need to pay for is a rental to get to the hotel from the airport, still not sure but will have to ask them.

Now I've never done a driving school before so i kinda wanted to know what to expect for those that have gone to this facility before.

Like what do they actually teach you in the classes?
Which corvette do they actually give you to drive?
Anything in particular that i should take or shouldn't take?
Also I have 3 gopro's and was wondering if they let you mount them on the cars or are there any restrictions with that?

Any other input would be great, i really appreciate it.

Last edited by C6_manny; 12-06-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:23 PM
wwwFLA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats to you!
Let us know how it was when you return.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by C6_manny
For those who are subscribed to the "corvette" page on FaceBook, you may remember they had a contest a couple of months ago that you could enter with a pic or an essay about your corvette experience, i think it was called "Corvette Become Part of Our History Promotion". Well I never expect to win but just for the hell of it i entered and wrote my corvette experience. And to my surprised I actually won the trip, which includes flight, hotel, and admission for 1 to the Ron Fellow Performance Driving school. I was definitely shocked since I've never actually won anything before so im beyond excited to do this. they already booked my flight from Miami to Vegas for the 14th this month and i come back on the 16th. I think the only thing i will need to pay for is a rental to get to the hotel from the airport, still not sure but will have to ask them.

Now I've never done a driving school before so i kinda wanted to know what to expect for those that have gone to this facility before.

Also I have 3 gopro's and was wondering if they let you mount them on the cars or are there any restrictions with that?

Teachers are great ... too much to discuss but here are a few things.
Driving on wet roads/hydroplaning/ braking; Vision while racing; heal /toe "blips"; proper hand/foot placement; seat placement/ adjustment.

You'll never forget the great time you will have.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know anything about the school other than what I've seen online, but wanted to say congratulations....!! And.....once again, great video you posted the other day....!!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 PM
11yellowgscpe
Burning Brakes

Congrats, you will have the time of your life. Take a pair of driving shoes if you have them, if not I used a good comfortable boat shoes. Loose clothing. They will provide a helmet. They will allow the gopro's as it is something you can rent there. When I went they had Grand Sports, Z06's and ZR-1's and we drove all of them. The instructors are great and so is the class. Good luck and think about smiling.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 PM
drich2905
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

congrats!!

I just got back from Spring Mountain tonight from a 3 days level 1 and even though I had to pay and didn't win anything it was awesome and some of the best fun I have had in a corvette. They teach a lot of accident avoidance skills as well, so you will take home a bunch of info to use for the rest of your life.

PM me if interested in a phone call
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Wow, Congratulations. You don’t mention if it’s the 2 day or 3 day class. If they only gave you 2 days, and you can afford it, do the 3rd day. It’s the best.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^ absolutely !
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 PM
jwd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations!

I'm jealous, went to the 3-day class in 2008. Back then, the standard coupes were the only cars there w/ the power drivers seat, and the only ones I could adjust/position to be comfortable for me.. I'd do anything to go back again!

If you won the two-day course, and can afford it, and they let you, definitely pay the difference for the 3-day class.

As others have said, they teach too much to list here.

Braking - with and w/o anti-lock, dry and wet, straight line and avoiding/lane changing..

Heal-Toe

Skid pad - over and understeer..

Finding the apex - short course in skidpad area, going around the real road course, and going around the road course backwards...

I ordered some Simpson driving shoes before hand, as I was worried that they wouldn't have my size there available for purchase.. I was glad I did.. it took a few tries to get the right size/fit for my strange feet and what they had when I was there wouldn't have fit..

Pro Tip : stay hydrated!!! They push this themselves there, but make sure you drink allot in the heat.. I went in June..

Have a great time!

Last edited by jwd; 12-06-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

First - Congrats - it will be the best thing you ever win (and do!), of course unless you win the Powerball. Second, I'm very jealous!!

As stated before, if it is a two day course, seriously consider a 3rd day, as that's when you'll get the most and best track time. It may cost a grand, but most people will say its a must (and most who only do 2 days ALWAYS say they wish they would have stayed for the 3rd).

If you want to buy driving shoes, it IS recommended since they're very light and not bulky, like a pair of gym shoes. You want to be able to feel the accelerator. And they're particularly helpful in learning the Heel-toe maneuver, which is one of the things they focus on. They sell the shoes on the premises too, so if you just want to wait, you can do that. It'll probably run you $80-100. Some people wear driving gloves, but it's really not necessary

If you're heading out in the next month, expect cold/cool mornings (may want loose fitting pants and at least a long sleeved shirt - multiple for each day), and as the day progresses, assuming sun - it will warm up quickly, where shorts and short sleeves are fine. You should plan on a light jacket as well. What I did was go to my local big sporting goods store where they sell a lot of the workout clothes, like Nike, etc. I bought several items that were part of their Dry Fit line - they worked great. Bring some sunglasses, and maybe sunscreen too.

Definitely bring your GoPro, with the necessary attachments. If you want to review the shots you've taken, as you probably know, you'll need a computer to access. Otherwise, you'll want a regular camera for all the other cool stuff to get pics of too.

As far as what you'll drive, you will most likely drive both the Grand Sports and the Z06's. As you're learning, you really won't notice a huge difference between the two. Unless you actually purchased a ZR1, insurance reasons won't allow you to drive one since they are owned by GM. All the other cars are owned by Spring Mountain. If you're lucky, maybe Rick or one of the main guys can "take you for a spin" around the track a couple of times in a ZR1. You WILL have the time in your life regardless of what you're driving.

If you've got any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. I did Level 1 last January and can't wait to do another. Get lots of rest, and limber up, cause the days are long, intense, and take a lot out of you. But I'm an old guy out of shape, and I still did fine and loved every minute of it.

Have FUN!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 PM
C6_manny
Instructor

Originally Posted by wwwFLA
Congrats to you!
Let us know how it was when you return.
Thanks will do
Originally Posted by NofakeJake
Teachers are great ... too much to discuss but here are a few things.
Driving on wet roads/hydroplaning/ braking; Vision while racing; heal /toe "blips"; proper hand/foot placement; seat placement/ adjustment.

You'll never forget the great time you will have.

Cool, thanks for the info
Originally Posted by FlyerVette
Don't know anything about the school other than what I've seen online, but wanted to say congratulations....!! And.....once again, great video you posted the other day....!!
Lol thanks appreciate it.
Originally Posted by 11yellowgscpe
Congrats, you will have the time of your life. Take a pair of driving shoes if you have them, if not I used a good comfortable boat shoes. Loose clothing. They will provide a helmet. They will allow the gopro's as it is something you can rent there. When I went they had Grand Sports, Z06's and ZR-1's and we drove all of them. The instructors are great and so is the class. Good luck and think about smiling.
I been smiling since they told me I won in October
Originally Posted by drich2905
congrats!!

I just got back from Spring Mountain tonight from a 3 days level 1 and even though I had to pay and didn't win anything it was awesome and some of the best fun I have had in a corvette. They teach a lot of accident avoidance skills as well, so you will take home a bunch of info to use for the rest of your life.

PM me if interested in a phone call
Awesome, will send you a pm to ask a couple of more questions.
Originally Posted by mjcourt
Wow, Congratulations. You don’t mention if it’s the 2 day or 3 day class. If they only gave you 2 days, and you can afford it, do the 3rd day. It’s the best.
Yeah i'm assuming its 2 days because my flight leaves miami on the 14th in the morning and I return the 16th at night.
Originally Posted by jwd
Congratulations!

I'm jealous, went to the 3-day class in 2008. Back then, the standard coupes were the only cars there w/ the power drivers seat, and the only ones I could adjust/position to be comfortable for me.. I'd do anything to go back again!

If you won the two-day course, and can afford it, and they let you, definitely pay the difference for the 3-day class.

As others have said, they teach too much to list here.

Braking - with and w/o anti-lock, dry and wet, straight line and avoiding/lane changing..

Heal-Toe

Skid pad - over and understeer..

Finding the apex - short course in skidpad area, going around the real road course, and going around the road course backwards...

I ordered some Simpson driving shoes before hand, as I was worried that they wouldn't have my size there available for purchase.. I was glad I did.. it took a few tries to get the right size/fit for my strange feet and what they had when I was there wouldn't have fit..

Pro Tip : stay hydrated!!! They push this themselves there, but make sure you drink allot in the heat.. I went in June..

Have a great time!
Thanks for the great info
Originally Posted by TOBASCO
First - Congrats - it will be the best thing you ever win (and do!), of course unless you win the Powerball. Second, I'm very jealous!!

As stated before, if it is a two day course, seriously consider a 3rd day, as that's when you'll get the most and best track time. It may cost a grand, but most people will say its a must (and most who only do 2 days ALWAYS say they wish they would have stayed for the 3rd).

If you want to buy driving shoes, it IS recommended since they're very light and not bulky, like a pair of gym shoes. You want to be able to feel the accelerator. And they're particularly helpful in learning the Heel-toe maneuver, which is one of the things they focus on. They sell the shoes on the premises too, so if you just want to wait, you can do that. It'll probably run you $80-100. Some people wear driving gloves, but it's really not necessary

If you're heading out in the next month, expect cold/cool mornings (may want loose fitting pants and at least a long sleeved shirt - multiple for each day), and as the day progresses, assuming sun - it will warm up quickly, where shorts and short sleeves are fine. You should plan on a light jacket as well. What I did was go to my local big sporting goods store where they sell a lot of the workout clothes, like Nike, etc. I bought several items that were part of their Dry Fit line - they worked great. Bring some sunglasses, and maybe sunscreen too.

Definitely bring your GoPro, with the necessary attachments. If you want to review the shots you've taken, as you probably know, you'll need a computer to access. Otherwise, you'll want a regular camera for all the other cool stuff to get pics of too.

As far as what you'll drive, you will most likely drive both the Grand Sports and the Z06's. As you're learning, you really won't notice a huge difference between the two. Unless you actually purchased a ZR1, insurance reasons won't allow you to drive one since they are owned by GM. All the other cars are owned by Spring Mountain. If you're lucky, maybe Rick or one of the main guys can "take you for a spin" around the track a couple of times in a ZR1. You WILL have the time in your life regardless of what you're driving.

If you've got any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. I did Level 1 last January and can't wait to do another. Get lots of rest, and limber up, cause the days are long, intense, and take a lot out of you. But I'm an old guy out of shape, and I still did fine and loved every minute of it.

Have FUN!
Thanks for the info. I have some pumas with a thin sole and those are the ones i use everytime i go drag racing at the track. Will these be fine?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 PM
C6_manny
Instructor

Really appreciate all the info, will try to grab as much footage as i can so i can share it later.

I bought my 08 Atomic Orange C6 after a non-open heart surgery i had last year in November and have love it ever since. Always wanted a corvette ever since i was 7 so I finally decided it was time and gave my 06 GTO to my dad.

I won't be able to extend it to a 3-day since i stopped working and I am using all my funds to finally finishing school. But im sure the 2 days themselves will be memorable.

Here are video's of 2 trips i've done with the car so far with the car.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:17 AM
HighPro
Racer

Call the hotel from the airport - they will send a shuttle to pick you up. No 'rental' required.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Heres the thread I just recently did...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...pring-mtn.html
Old 12-07-2012, 01:49 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the 3-day course just about exactly one year ago. Absolutely the best instructors and best facilities, and I can't wait to get back there.

Just one other thing that I found really important is to bring some neoprene braces that you can wear around your knees. It'll help prevent bruising if you have to use your knees to keep yourself in place in the corners. Even during the colder months, after a warming up the tires, you'll see over 1G sustained in the longer corners.

Have a great time.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:12 AM
cldgin2
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

If you end up staying a bit longer, you (or any one) are always welcome to join Sin City Vettes for dinner on Sundays or any other planned event we have going throughout the week.

http://www.sincityvettes.proboards.com/index.cgi

Hope you enjoy Vegas..
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 AM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by HighPro
Call the hotel from the airport - they will send a shuttle to pick you up. No 'rental' required.
Hotel? Shuttle?? Do you know where Parumph is? My guess he's probably staying on site at the track anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Won a trip to the Ron Fellow Driving School!!!!! But have some question about it.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,102 Likes on 753 Posts

You are in for a tremendous experience at Spring Mountain. Everything about it is first class. Bring your GoPro and put it in the car for every session. Unless things have changed, you'll be driving Grand Sports and Z06s. And like others have said, if you can swing it, stay for the third day. It's almost all track time and is clearly the best day of all. In a nutshell, you're going to have a blast!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:35 PM
C6_manny
Instructor

Originally Posted by TOBASCO
Hotel? Shuttle?? Do you know where Parumph is? My guess he's probably staying on site at the track anyway.
Yeah just received all the documents today through FedEx and they will have a limo service picking me and another winner Joseph Walker (anyone know if he's on the forum?) and driving us to the the Spring Mountain Motor Resort. So yeah i guess i will be staying on site. This is pretty cool

Would be awesome if they had the C7 there to see or drive, even if it is all covered up

Hey a guy can dream lol
Old 12-08-2012, 04:30 PM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by C6_manny

I'll be out there for level 2 December 13-14th. I didn't know they had a school over the weekend, so y'all may be getting a private deal. Hope to see u there!!

Quick Reply: Won a trip to the Ron Fellow Driving School!!!!! But have some question about it.