C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poll : anyone bought a manual transmission and later wished they got an automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:22 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cpmatthew
In your situation, I would go with the Auto. I would not, however, race the "rice rockets."
im confused, maybe it's because i don't race, but a corvette can't beat a 160hp rice burner just cause it's an automatic??
Old 12-05-2012, 03:40 PM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

If by rice rockets you mean sportbikes, a vette is quick for a car, but will have no chance against rice/crotch rocket unless you are literally going for a top speed run. Especially one with 160hp, that is stock Hayabusa territory if I'm not mistaken...
Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 PM
paracord
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken_Tanaka
I realize that "to each his own" and I should test drive them both and decide for myself, not let other people on the forum influence this key decision. Understood.

I've only recently learned to drive stick - not very skilled yet - and it's not fun (yet?). I like driving the automatic GS, I floor the pedal and take off, no hassles with shifting, which I'm not good at yet.

This is a daily commuter, 4 miles each way on city streets, and for running errands two or three times a week that might involve a little stop-and-go on the freeway for 30 minutes. I will never track it, just play a bit on freeways/highways, racing the rice rockets.

Everyone tells me, "trust me, you once you get used to manual you'll much prefer your vette in a manual then an automatic!" I want to trust them. It's a leap of faith , but I was wondering if anyone here was ever in the same situation.

Has anyone bought a manual sports car before they really knew how to drive stick, and then later switched to an automatic because they never really enjoyed the manual? If such people are far and few between, I'd be much more interested in going for the manual.

Thanks.
I bought my first sports car without knowing how to drive a stick. After about 3 weeks I was very comfortable with it.

I just can't imagine a sports car, especially a Corvette, without one. I don't care if I drove 50 miles one way in all city traffic I'd take the manual.

Just my opinion though. Some people are happy as could be with an automatic.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Manual is all I will ever have in my sports car. If I get a C7 it will be a manual also. I only drive in the city and love every shift.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:42 PM
paracord
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ny32182
Bottom line, if you have to ask this question you should get an automatic.
I think I agree with this.

You may be better off with an auto.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:43 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If by rice rockets you mean sportbikes, a vette is quick for a car, but will have no chance against rice/crotch rocket unless you are literally going for a top speed run. Especially one with 160hp, that is stock Hayabusa territory if I'm not mistaken...
My bad, i thought he meant cars, not bikes..... disregard!! lol
Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

My first C6 was an auto, my current C6 is a manual. If I would ever get another one it would be an ........................................ ..automatic again.

I miss the convenience of the auto.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:09 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

I had a manual went to an auto and back to a manual all within 3 years. Rent a economic rental car and practice for awhile or until you feel comfortable. I agree with many others a corvette may not be the car to learn how to use a 6 speed. good luck on your choice
Old 12-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Brockman66
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never regreted getting a manual corvette. Look at it this way, you might not be able to drive a manual that well right now but trust me, once you've mastered it and you're flawlessly driving your 6-speed vette around having tons of fun, you'll feel closer to your car than you ever will to an automatic. It's kind of like an extension of yourself. It's like loving your wife or loving your dog, it just brings you that sense of satisfaction that you WILL NOT find anywhere else. Trust me, I wouldn't trade my manual C6 for anything.

BUT, if you must go with an automatic at least get one with paddle shifters. I've never driven a vette with paddle shifters but, there is a thread somewhere on corvetteforum about everybody loving the paddles. FYI

Last edited by Brockman66; 12-05-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by KX
Absolutely NOT! Sure, if I drove a luxury car I may consider an automatic, but not in a sports car. Are you nuts?!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:35 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Default don't sweat it

Don't sweat it there poll. As you stated its a matter of choice. Of course you have to throw in the testosterone (sp) effect in as well. You know, some thinking they are more manly cause they have a stick. I can drive a stick better than most but i got an auto for the low milage factor. In other words, since I was buying pre-owned, low milage was more important that a stick. One of these responses did bring up a very good point though. If you do a lot of city driving, shifting all the time can get old very fast...esp. in a traffic jam.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by HD_Rider

If you can't answer the OP's question, then don't post in this thread. We don't need yet another debate on which is supposedly better.

The question: Has anyone bought a manual sports car before they really knew how to drive stick, and then later switched to an automatic because they never really enjoyed the manual?
Really? How about if you are going to put down Auto owners and/or their cars stay the hell out of these threads.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

where's the poll ??
Old 12-05-2012, 04:55 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

I think you have to decide what makes driving fun for you in your environment. For some people shifting trumps torque, handling, grip, acceleration, etc. For others shifting is below some or all of those things on the list. If a manual Miata sounds like more fun than an auto Vette, get a stick.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Bottom line, if you have to ask this question you should get an automatic.
Ny32182 is right on this one. I don't think the 'vette is the car to learn in. I live in Los Angeles and have always driven a manual as my DD. But for you an auto is probably the way to go
Old 12-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

Only tranny I would have in a sports car is a manual.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:48 PM
BOBBYT1
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default manual or auto

I hadn't driven a stick shift in over 30 years when I bought my current 1999. I figured I'd buy an automatic but a friend of mind strongly suggested I go with the stick.....Best advice I ever received!
I installed a set of B & B Route 66 exhausts and it's like listening to music.
Go for the stick!

Get notified of new replies

To Poll : anyone bought a manual transmission and later wished they got an automatic

Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,072 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I've driven both and live in NYC, so i now drive a tuned A6. When I go to my country home 100 miles away from NYC i use the paddles to hold the gear for the type of roads i am on.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:53 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken_Tanaka
I realize that "to each his own" and I should test drive them both and decide for myself, not let other people on the forum influence this key decision. Understood.

I've only recently learned to drive stick - not very skilled yet - and it's not fun (yet?). I like driving the automatic GS, I floor the pedal and take off, no hassles with shifting, which I'm not good at yet.

This is a daily commuter, 4 miles each way on city streets, and for running errands two or three times a week that might involve a little stop-and-go on the freeway for 30 minutes. I will never track it, just play a bit on freeways/highways, racing the rice rockets.

Everyone tells me, "trust me, you once you get used to manual you'll much prefer your vette in a manual then an automatic!" I want to trust them. It's a leap of faith , but I was wondering if anyone here was ever in the same situation.

Has anyone bought a manual sports car before they really knew how to drive stick, and then later switched to an automatic because they never really enjoyed the manual? If such people are far and few between, I'd be much more interested in going for the manual.

Thanks.
Two thirds of Vette owners buy automatic transmissions for a variety of reasons: they never learned how to drive a manual transmission; they learned the basics of driving a manual transmission but never mastered the skills; they would rather text and drink coffee than shift; their wives or girlfriends wouldn't allow them to buy a car without an automatic transmission so they could take it on the girl's night out; some drive in stop and go, bumper to bumper traffic daily to and from work and find a manual transmission tedious; some have physical maladies that prevent them from driving a manual transmission; and some if not most Chevy dealers don't even stock new manual transmission Vette. If your only going to drive four miles each way back and forth to work and for running errands two or three times a week, you certainly don't need anything other than very basic transportation, certainly not a true sports car with a manual transmission, nor even one with an automatic torque converter transmission. The kind of driving to which you will be subjecting your car is the absolute worst kind imaginable. My advise would be to buy an early C5 coupe or convertible with the four speed automatic; it is more car than you will ever need, and 98% of people won't be able to tell it from a brand new 2013 G/S; it will cost much, much less to own and operate, and for your type driving, will be safer, smoother riding and just as much fun to own.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 PM
XPLOSYV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahem...to answer the OP question...i my last car before the C5 was a manual...i bought it not even knowing how to drive a stick...left the dealership as they made the grand announcement over the loud speakers about my purchase...made it all the way out of lot and down the street before i choked out!!! As time went on, i got better at it and enjoyed driving the stick, going through the gears, etc...

HOWEVER, when i made the switch to the C5, i chose a automatic over a stick...and now...AGAIN with the C6...i chose the A6 over a stick...like others have said, its a personal choice but I do enjoy the relaxing drive of an auto now...i drove a manual helping a friend recently and had fun but nah, auto for me for now

Quick Reply: Poll : anyone bought a manual transmission and later wished they got an automatic