C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Seats vs. Old Seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Default New Seats vs. Old Seats

Have a 2011 GS vert and thinking about going to the new seats.

For those Forum members which have moved up, either thru a seat conversion or new car upgrade, are the seats really that much better?

And, is a $2,000 upgrade worth it?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I've done the swap myself. I went from the 2010 seats to the 2012 4LT seats with Alcantera centers.

I did the complete swap myself so it only cast me about $1300 and I am happy because I got the look I wanted and the Alcantera centers do hold me in place better than the smooth leather did.

I did it solely for the new look and to get the Alcantera and 2-tone seats.

If you are talking about just how the seats feel, no, it's not worth the money you would have to spend. The seats are pretty much the same as far as the bottom is concerned. The seat back has a little different feel to it, when you are leaning back, because of the shoulder area but you might not even notice it.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:14 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE

If you are talking about just how the seats feel, no, it's not worth the money you would have to spend. The seats are pretty much the same as far as the bottom is concerned. The seat back has a little different feel to it, when you are leaning back, because of the shoulder area but you might not even notice it.
+1

Unless the seats are worn out/damaged or its a cosmetic upgrade I wouldnt spend the money. I notice little difference between my old '08 and this '12 as far as the seats go.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had mine done in all Italian Leather, back sides, etc. An unexpected advantage of the Italian leather is that you do not slide around as you do on stock leather. I modified the vette flags. I really like how they turned out.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Thanks guys. Was looking mainly for the change in comfort and the consensus is that it is not worth the $$.

Appreciate the feedback.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I followed ncvette_1FUNRIDE advice except I had a professional do the swap for me. No way I was going to attempt that myself. And you are correct, it was about $2K.

In my case, my car was well used and I needed the bottom foam replaced badly. I took it to the interior guy he pointed out all the wear and tears I never noticed - and after that it ate at me and I knew I had to replace the leather. So upgrading was a no brainer.

But I have to disagree that there was a major difference in the feel of the backs. I don't think that my old back foam was that worn out to account for the difference. In my case it was night and day and made the cost well worth it.

Every once in a great while you do see people that buy brand new cars and send their seats out for upgrade and so they try to sell their brand new seats. Last one I saw the guy wanted a ton for it and it would have been cheaper to just do the upgrade. I guess if you are patient you might be able to find a deal.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I found a local upholstery shop and had them re-do the stock 2010 C61LT Coupe seats with black perforated suede center sections. Felt a little softer under butt, but sure did stop the sliding laterally in the stock seats. Looks nice too. Cost was $800.00. It's another option for you.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:04 PM
kmthor00
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having had an 06' 3LT, 07' 3LT & now a 2012 GS LT it is not worth the $$
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If'n I were going to upgrade seats, I think I'd upgrade to something like Caravaggio

But that's a significant upgrade $$$$$$
Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Another option, albeit pricey, is buying carravagios & selling your stock seats to offset the cost.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The difference is mostly GM marketing hype...minimal in reality. As was said above, a little suede or ultrasuede can make a greater difference in support.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:18 PM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For $2K you are getting is a fresher looking version of the prior seat, with partial leather and a lot of vinyl, installed. There is little difference in support or durability. It is a nice look, though, and the look alone might be worth $2K to you. You can get the same look in real leather, better support, and better quality from Apsis or other sources, but it will cost you even more to do it right.

If your seats are in OK condition now, consider waiting for the C7 and see what kind of seating options that brings, if any, that might make more of difference and work in a C6.

Remember, if you go to sell the car soon, you aren't likely to get any kind of money for any of this sufficient to justify the expense.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

For 2 grand you could probably retro fit some nice C4 sport seats!!That was the best generation for Vette seats that I know of. The look of the upgrade over oem cheap stuff and the feel of better material is definitely worth something!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

I have the 2011 seats and had the opportunity to drive a couple different cars with the newer seats at Spring Mountain. I could not tell any difference except for a car with the alcantera insert. The alcantera inserts help keep you in position when on the track better than the slick leather.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:57 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

DIY upgraded '11 1LT seats to the alcantara and the difference in comfort and stability (no sliding around) was worth the $1300, IMO. Embroidery and contrasting stitching was an added bonus in the looks dept as well.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Went from 09 Z06 to 2012 Z06 wanted a z07 and found and 11 but liked my seats to much to trade down.
z51vett
Just my 2 cents worth
Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

If you are sliding around in your seats chances are you are wearing polyester pants or used the wrong product to clean your leather seats.

Get notified of new replies

To New Seats vs. Old Seats

Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NevadaVette
For $2K you are getting is a fresher looking version of the prior seat, with partial leather and a lot of vinyl, installed. There is little difference in support or durability. It is a nice look, though, and the look alone might be worth $2K to you. You can get the same look in real leather, better support, and better quality from Apsis or other sources, but it will cost you even more to do it right.

If your seats are in OK condition now, consider waiting for the C7 and see what kind of seating options that brings, if any, that might make more of difference and work in a C6. Remember, if you go to sell the car soon, you aren't likely to get any kind of money for any of this sufficient to justify the expense.
this month's CarandDriver says the C7 has widened frame rails to allow for bigger seats -- not likely to fit a C6
Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by mjcourt
I have the 2011 seats and had the opportunity to drive a couple different cars with the newer seats at Spring Mountain. I could not tell any difference except for a car with the alcantera insert. The alcantera inserts help keep you in position when on the track better than the slick leather.
Originally Posted by CrvtBB
DIY upgraded '11 1LT seats to the alcantara and the difference in comfort and stability (no sliding around) was worth the $1300, IMO. Embroidery and contrasting stitching was an added bonus in the looks dept as well.
Someone posted that trying to slide into the alcantara seat was like trying to slide your butt across flypaper. Sounds good for track, but how is it for getting in and out on a DD?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:33 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Someone posted that trying to slide into the alcantara seat was like trying to slide your butt across flypaper. Sounds good for track, but how is it for getting in and out on a DD?

I had no problem getting in or out. The only down side may be that they seem hot and you may sweat more in the alcantara.

Quick Reply: New Seats vs. Old Seats