C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Precuationary Maintenance on a 2011 C6

Old 11-29-2012, 05:24 PM
vatakle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Precuationary Maintenance on a 2011 C6

I just acquired a pre-owned 2011 c6. It has 24k miles on odo when i got it. Since then, i have done about 600 miles.

I looked at the carfax and it said an oil change was done at around 17500 miles.

The oil life says 49% in DIC. Should i get it changed asap? I have never owned a car with Synthetic oil so this is new to me.

What are other precautionary maintenance i should perform on this?

May be a ATF drain and fill? Air Filter? Cabin Air Filter?

Thank you for your opinions.

Last edited by vatakle; 11-29-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:33 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

I would do the oil and filter along with the air and cabin filters. ATF should be fine at 24K. Just check level.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by weathermaker
I would do the oil and filter along with the air and cabin filters. ATF should be fine at 24K. Just check level.
I agree 100%
Old 11-29-2012, 05:40 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Sounds reasonable to me.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 PM
vatakle
Racer

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I agree 100%
Originally Posted by dvilin
Sounds reasonable to me.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I just take it to Chevrolet dealership as it has 1 year of factory warranty left? Or can i take it to other shops like Midas? I don't have resources and a proper place to do a DIY on these.

Could you also please let me know how i can check ATF Level? I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

Edit: One more question. How does tire rotation work in this? Do i need one at all since front and rear are not the same?

Thanks

Last edited by vatakle; 11-29-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd CHECK the air filter at most. If I'm not mistaken its got a 50,000 mile life expectancy. Oil has been 7,000 miles. I'd do a oil change. Wiper blades. Thats about it.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Like Midas! If any scratches do you use Marco?
Old 11-29-2012, 05:59 PM
plmkrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd take it to a Good Corvette dealer or Corvette shop for the work until you find someone you are comfortable with. Midas and such give me the "*******" until I'm comfortable that they have good mechanics. In my area, they hire the kid out of high school and they just want to rush, rush, rush. Best of luck!!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by vatakle

I just take it to Chevrolet dealership as it has 1 year of factory warranty left? Or can i take it to other shops like Midas? I don't have resources and a proper place to do a DIY on these.

Could you also please let me know how i can check ATF Level? I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

Edit: One more question. How does tire rotation work in this? Do i need one at all since front and rear are not the same?

Thanks
I have a manual transmission. So I don't know where to check ATF levels. The air and cabin filters are very easy to check/change. If you have any doubts, take it to the dealer and have it done. Expect to pay $250 or so.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:13 PM
vatakle
Racer

Originally Posted by Ketchum
Like Midas! If any scratches do you use Marco?
Sorry, but what is Marco? I don't think we have them around here.

Originally Posted by plmkrzy
I'd take it to a Good Corvette dealer or Corvette shop for the work until you find someone you are comfortable with. Midas and such give me the "*******" until I'm comfortable that they have good mechanics. In my area, they hire the kid out of high school and they just want to rush, rush, rush. Best of luck!!
I was sure this will raise a few eyebrows. But midas i visit has a very good tech team. They are knowledgeable and honest. I have had 2 cars of mine service for over 2 years from them and they are pretty good at doing basic stuff. I am just not so sure with corvette though.

The reason I asked is, if i do it at Midas, do i lose warranty?

For an oil and filter change, how much should i expect to pay at a Chevrolet Dealership?

I feel slight vibration in steering wheel at freeway speeds of 65-75mph. Do you think i should get alignment checked or is it normal to have slight vibration?

Sorry, please bear with me. I am new to corvette and want to make sure i do the right thing that it deserves

Thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Where are you located? Vibration is usually tire balance. If your comfortable with the guys at Midas use them. Just make sure they understand how to lift the car without damage to rockers. Talk to them and ask if they are comfortable doing maintace7 to that car or not.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

YOu can do whatever you want, but no, I wouldn't take it to Midas no matter how good they've been with your other cars. YOu might also fill out your profile a bit more so people might be able to recommend some places to you or tell you to search nearby.

As to a '11 w. 24K miles, I would change oil and oil filter. I would CHECK the cabin air filter---it is behind the battery on the firewall. I would NOT change the engine air filter--it very likely does not need it for another 25K-75K miles unless you live in the Mojave, which you could....

I don't think it can hurt to change the ATF if you have an automatic transmission, but you haven't specified what is on your car as far as options. Not having an auto trans, I don't know how it's checked for your car but thought I read it can be checked from the underside.

Unless you dismount the tires, there is no tire rotation unless you want to swap them one side to the other. But check to make sure the tires are not rotational-specific with an arrow on the sidewall showing the direction it should be turning.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

You don't rotate tires on a C6. Change the oil and filter, don't forget to reset the DIC, then change oil when informed by DIC. Oil change cost, about $100 at a Chev dealer.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:51 AM
vatakle
Racer

Where are you located? Vibration is usually tire balance. If your comfortable with the guys at Midas use them. Just make sure they understand how to lift the car without damage to rockers. Talk to them and ask if they are comfortable doing maintace7 to that car or not.
I am in Sacramento, California. I will talk to them but chances are i will stick with dealership. None of the dealerships here have good reviews. I hope i can find one that i am comfortable with.

Originally Posted by AORoads
YOu can do whatever you want, but no, I wouldn't take it to Midas no matter how good they've been with your other cars. YOu might also fill out your profile a bit more so people might be able to recommend some places to you or tell you to search nearby.

As to a '11 w. 24K miles, I would change oil and oil filter. I would CHECK the cabin air filter---it is behind the battery on the firewall. I would NOT change the engine air filter--it very likely does not need it for another 25K-75K miles unless you live in the Mojave, which you could....

I don't think it can hurt to change the ATF if you have an automatic transmission, but you haven't specified what is on your car as far as options. Not having an auto trans, I don't know how it's checked for your car but thought I read it can be checked from the underside.

Unless you dismount the tires, there is no tire rotation unless you want to swap them one side to the other. But check to make sure the tires are not rotational-specific with an arrow on the sidewall showing the direction it should be turning.
Originally Posted by Larry/car
You don't rotate tires on a C6. Change the oil and filter, don't forget to reset the DIC, then change oil when informed by DIC. Oil change cost, about $100 at a Chev dealer.
Sorry for not disclosing info earlier. It is a '11 Coupe Automatic 1LT. I am in Sacramento, CA.

I don't think i will be rotating the tires as just swapping side by side doesn't make sense to me. I will check the cabin air filter. May be change engine air filter after 50k miles.

Thanks Larry for the info. I will make sure i do it soon.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 AM
vatakle
Racer

Another question

Yesterday i was filling gas at Shell station. It was nearly empty so i was hoping to fill till auto cut off. But after 6 gallons went it, it automatically cut off. After that i keep pushing in and lifting the lever slightly to fill more. I was not sure how much will it take so i just let it go after 11 gallons.

I noticed that the nozzle passage is very deep and that is why the sensor may detect differently.

Is it because of that particular gas station or the pump itself that it was not filling up completely or could it be a problem with the car?

THANKS
Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Gas station nozzel issue
Old 11-30-2012, 12:11 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Another question

Yesterday i was filling gas at Shell station. It was nearly empty so i was hoping to fill till auto cut off. But after 6 gallons went it, it automatically cut off. After that i keep pushing in and lifting the lever slightly to fill more. I was not sure how much will it take so i just let it go after 11 gallons.

I noticed that the nozzle passage is very deep and that is why the sensor may detect differently.

Is it because of that particular gas station or the pump itself that it was not filling up completely or could it be a problem with the car?

THANKS
I've had this problem with my 06. Its the angle of the pump nozzle in relation to the gas tank filler pipe. If I put it in and let in sit at a down angle it shuts off prematurely. If I hold it straighter it fills completely w/o turning off. Your ATF should be fine until 50K and there's no way to check it anyway, just keep an eye out for leaks. You can change all the filters yourself and save some labor $$. Good synthetic oil should last 5-7,500 miles.

Get notified of new replies

To Precuationary Maintenance on a 2011 C6

Old 11-30-2012, 12:15 PM
vatakle
Racer

Gas station nozzel issue
Thanks. I hope so. Will try at other gas stations.

Originally Posted by TerryL
I've had this problem with my 06. Its the angle of the pump nozzle in relation to the gas tank filler pipe. If I put it in and let in sit at a down angle it shuts off prematurely. If I hold it straighter it fills completely w/o turning off. Your ATF should be fine until 50K and there's no way to check it anyway, just keep an eye out for leaks. You can change all the filters yourself and save some labor $$. Good synthetic oil should last 5-7,500 miles.
Thanks Terry for sharing this issue. It does seem to be an angle issue. Next time i will try a bit straighter. Hope it fixes it.

I read many are doing ATF Drain and fill every 30k miles so since i was doing other maintenance, thought should do it too. But i guess i will wait.

I am gonna do some reading on how to DIY filter change. Hope it is easy to do like in camry and G35 which are very easy to do.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I had the dealer drain/refill my A6 tranny and the differential both at 7k miles, and then again at 50k. I sent samples of the 50k fluids to Blackstone Labs and they said they could easily have gone longer/
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Thanks
Read your owners manual. All maintenance requirements are in there. If you don't have one, you can download one for free.
Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Precuationary Maintenance on a 2011 C6