C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not just wrap it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 AM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Why not just wrap it?

So much discussion on heat inside the car and some rather extensive work to reduce the inside cabin heat....

Seems easiest/simpler to me, just wrap the bulk of the exposed exhaust (not the cats or mufflers). I'd think that would work and actually take much less time than gutting the interior and laying heat shield all about. Hit it at the source.

What do you think. Why not just wrap it in a 2K degree blanket?

Last edited by J Christensen; 12-18-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

hmm...thought this was going to be an unwanted baby thread
Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 AM
shawn672
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J Christensen
So much discussion on heat inside the car and some rather extensive work to reduce the inside cabin heat....

Seems easiest/simpler to me, just wrap the bulk of the exposed exhaust (not the cats or mufflers). I'd think that would work and actually take much less time than gutting the interior and laying heat shield all about. Hit it as the source.

I was under the impression it's more than just the exhaust causing the heat problem.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Voodoo GS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by bobafett
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My impression is more people use interior insulation for noise abatement rather than for heat. I think adding a thermal 'blanket' to a beefier tunnel plates makes more sense for heat mitigation that trying to wrap the entire length of the exhaust pipes. Personally, I've never felt the interior cabin heat (or noise) was excessive or bothersome.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Audacious Nick
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by J Christensen

Seems easiest/simpler to me, just wrap the bulk of the exposed exhaust (not the cats or mufflers). I'd think that would work and actually take much less time than gutting the interior and laying heat shield all about. Hit it as the source.

Wrapping the exhaust can trap moisture and cause it to rust.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:14 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

and if you you are weight conscious, wrapping and insulating can add a good bit of weight.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:45 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I haven't driven mine thru AZ during July yet but so far what gets hot are the OEM cup holders and the console's interior. I think the under tunnel should be much better insulated to block the exhaust heat from permeating the underside of the console. As 'the' uber sports touring car, it should have no hot spots anywhere in the cabin. A race version can be stripped of heavy insulation but not my road car!
Old 12-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
My impression is more people use interior insulation for noise abatement rather than for heat. I think adding a thermal 'blanket' to a beefier tunnel plates makes more sense for heat mitigation that trying to wrap the entire length of the exhaust pipes. Personally, I've never felt the interior cabin heat (or noise) was excessive or bothersome.
I haven't used the heat much this winter b/c the car itself is a natural heater.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Fiss
Racer

Covering the interior is more for noise. The blocked heat is just an added benefit. Besides, wrapping the entire exhaust would probably be a lot more expensive.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:23 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by bobafett
thats funny, that is exactly what i thought as well
Old 12-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by TerryL
I haven't driven mine thru AZ during July yet but so far what gets hot are the OEM cup holders and the console's interior. I think the under tunnel should be much better insulated to block the exhaust heat from permeating the underside of the console. As 'the' uber sports touring car, it should have no hot spots anywhere in the cabin. A race version can be stripped of heavy insulation but not my road car!
Hot Cup Holder: Use it as a fondue pot
Hot Console: put in the graham crackers, Hersey Bar, and marshmallows. S'mores at your destination.

This car has more features than most people know...
Old 12-18-2012, 03:35 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the same thought as the OP. Ever notice how a sheet of aluminum foil prevents the Thanksgiving turkey from over-browning in the oven? That's because it reflects oven heat very efficiently. Have you seen the insulating inserts they make for your C6 cup holders and center console floors? The reason they work is due to the aluminum foil, not the super-thin covering on the foil. Even under the hood of most cars you will find aluminum foil used to reflect manifold heat away from spark plug wiring, etc. The only thing you wouldn't want to use around your exhaust is aluminum foil bonded to another material like foam rubber or paper of any kind; that might work on hot water pipes, but would probably catch fire around exhaust pipes. However, their are wraps out their for exhaust manifolds and pipes that I'm sure would work very well. Why doesn't Chevy put it on the exhaust underneath the passenger compartment? Hey, they eliminated the center console lock and under hood lamps to save what, a couple of dollars? This is a Chevrolet folks, that is how they think.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:08 PM
mracer14
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
I've had the same thought as the OP. Ever notice how a sheet of aluminum foil prevents the Thanksgiving turkey from over-browning in the oven? That's because it reflects oven heat very efficiently. Have you seen the insulating inserts they make for your C6 cup holders and center console floors? The reason they work is due to the aluminum foil, not the super-thin covering on the foil. Even under the hood of most cars you will find aluminum foil used to reflect manifold heat away from spark plug wiring, etc. The only thing you wouldn't want to use around your exhaust is aluminum foil bonded to another material like foam rubber or paper of any kind; that might work on hot water pipes, but would probably catch fire around exhaust pipes. However, their are wraps out their for exhaust manifolds and pipes that I'm sure would work very well. Why doesn't Chevy put it on the exhaust underneath the passenger compartment? Hey, they eliminated the center console lock and under hood lamps to save what, a couple of dollars? This is a Chevrolet folks, that is how they think.
What does "This is a Chevrolet folks,that is how they think." mean? It is not a simple task to design and manufacture automobiles. Take a look under your Corvette, you should very quickly see why you can't run the exhaust under the passenger compartment. GM has done a great job with the C6.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:31 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
Terry I do drive my car in Arizona in July...(since I live here)........but of course I have A/C....which seems to be of immense help.....lol
Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

I put on LTs and catted Xpipe. Had the LTs and the X pipe Ceramic coated. HUGE DECREASE in interior temp... Fact.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:45 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Insulated tunnel plate solved my console heat, and that's the only place I had a heat problem. Put in on when installing my headers.

Get notified of new replies

To Why not just wrap it?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 PM
billet racing
Instructor

Default wrap it

My experience with the header wrap is it will cook your headers within a year. They become brittle and crack. I had to replace at least every other year. That being on a daily driver.

Ceramic coating makes a huge difference in the engine compartment. I've been able to touch the headers within 10-15 minutes of shutdown. I've even coated my turbos and eliminated the heat sheild.

Jerry
Old 12-18-2012, 08:27 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

I have LG long tube headers and called them directly and they said do not wrap them. I believe they will just get too hot. They are stainless steel, so I don't think they would corrode. It may be okay to wrap them lightly downstream of the cats (tunnel area) , but they did not commit to that being ok.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:34 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mracer14
What does "This is a Chevrolet folks,that is how they think." mean? It is not a simple task to design and manufacture automobiles. Take a look under your Corvette, you should very quickly see why you can't run the exhaust under the passenger compartment. GM has done a great job with the C6.
It means what it says, based on my rather intimate interchange with GM/Chevy engineering/purchasing/quality mentality over four decades of interaction with them. That's why their C6 vibration dampeners, glove box latches, water pumps, etc. continue to fail year after year.
Gee, it is not a simple task to design and manufacture automobiles? I would have never known that if I hadn't personally spent over four decades in this industry. GM did run the exhaust system under the passenger compartment of every C6 without adequate heat insulation, thats why the passenger compartment, cup holders and center consoles have well documented heat problems. Anyhow, let us just say you and I may disagree a bit, but I still respect your opinion, and especially your right to express it. Peace.

Quick Reply: Why not just wrap it?