C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Get Torque Wrench Calibrated?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default How to Get Torque Wrench Calibrated?

Not many places want to do it unless they made the wrench, and some of them charge almost as much as a new wrench itself. In addition to the wait.

Suggestions?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

may I ask you why you feel the need to do this?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 PM
07atomic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find a snap on tool guy they have a torque gauge on there truck they can check it for you to see how accurate it is.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Why bother a Snap On guy. Just get a second wrench and compare one to the other. Honestly, I sold Proto tools for 10 years and never encountered an off torque wrench, never. Now if you are talking some lame China made beam wrench, well, just toss it out and get a new one!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

That darn axle nut is causing you a lot of headaches ain't it...
Old 11-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Jeff78
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 07atomic
Find a snap on tool guy they have a torque gauge on there truck they can check it for you to see how accurate it is.
That is what I do with our wrench at the shop.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Take it to SWFLANT.

Nevermind, this isn't nuclear weapons so they likely wouldn't have it in the CAL run...

<Sorry, poor Bubblehead joke >

/r

Allen
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

A good way to check is to tighten a bolt or nut to about 70% of the torque wrenches upper limit, (make sure the fastener is capable of taking the torque) then carefully mark the position of the bolt head. Assuming you are using ft/lbs, use a second torque wrench, Set it at about 20 lbs less, check the bolt, then increase the torque setting 5 lbs at a time until the head of the bolt just moves a little bit, If you are within +/- 10% of your original torque setting the wrench is OK
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by KX
Why bother a Snap On guy. Just get a second wrench and compare one to the other. Honestly, I sold Proto tools for 10 years and never encountered an off torque wrench, never. Now if you are talking some lame China made beam wrench, well, just toss it out and get a new one!
Not sure how you knew the wrenches were accurate without being able to compare them to a standard traceable back to NIST. If you can't do that you don't know which tools are accurate and which aren't. High quality has nothing to do with whether or not a tool has been calibrated. It could affect how long a tool can be used on a regular basis before it require recalibration but that is all. If you work in an industry that requires calibrated tools you will find calibrations are usually done on a 6 month or yearly basis with the tool being considered unusable until it has been certified or recertified by an appropriate calibration lab. Mechanical torque wrenches that I saw being used in manufacturing were typically on a 6 month calibration schedule.

Bill
Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

OP did not state why he need to calibrate. I mean, if he is only doing lug nuts, whats the big deal!? Now if he is needing inch lbs and must have total accuracy, sure, have it calibrated! He must have a reason for suspecting an issue....
Old 11-29-2012, 08:53 PM
07atomic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just suggested this method seems to be the easiest way for me. My snap on dealer has one on his truck and checks my guys all the time but that's just my opinion and you guys know what opinions are like!!!!! This is what I'm talking about http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 11-29-2012, 09:28 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure how you knew the wrenches were accurate without being able to compare them to a standard traceable back to NIST. If you can't do that you don't know which tools are accurate and which aren't. High quality has nothing to do with whether or not a tool has been calibrated. It could affect how long a tool can be used on a regular basis before it require recalibration but that is all. If you work in an industry that requires calibrated tools you will find calibrations are usually done on a 6 month or yearly basis with the tool being considered unusable until it has been certified or recertified by an appropriate calibration lab. Mechanical torque wrenches that I saw being used in manufacturing were typically on a 6 month calibration schedule.

Bill
Try this Bill

Old 11-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You used to be able to send a Craftsman Microtork torque wrench back to be refurbised and recalibrated through a Sears Repair Center for a reasonable cost ($40 comes to mind). Several years ago, 2 of my 3 Craftsman Microtork wrenches broke at the locking ring and leaked. By the time I took the 2nd one in to be fixed Sears had closed down their local Repair Center. I went back to Sears and was basically told they don't fix them anymore.

Do a search if you want.....there are places that repair and recalibrate torque wrenches but in my case it was almost as expensive as buying a new torque wrench. I did buy a new, replacement torque wrench (and it wasn't a Craftsman).
Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 PM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by KX
I've calibrated 1000's of torque wrenches in a former life. My fav was the old Protos with good scale and linearity adjustments. But I can also say a lot were out of spec. Never encountered an off torque wrench? I find that hard to believe.

Johnodrake posted the best "home method" providing you have weights or a force gauge (calibrated scale).

OP, yeah a Cal lab is going to be expensive compared to an economical wrench. A 3-point check with no adjustments or certification could be considerably cheaper if you can find a cal lab offering that. The Snap-on truck would be a good option.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:23 AM
Carsonvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I am a Metrologist in Aerospace, I calibrate tools for a living. All torque wrenches need regular checks to insure they are in calibration. How often depends on how often it is used and quality of construction. If it has been dropped it should also re-checked. I would never trust a torque wrench that has not been calibrated. That said, if you use a quality Calibration lab you will pay about what a new Torque Wrench is worth.

Last edited by Carsonvette; 11-30-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
........... and some of them charge almost as much as a new wrench itself. ...............
I treat mine like a surgical instrument. It is stored in its case and kept in my master bedroom closet. Never used as a wrench to remove bolts & nuts and always stored at 20 ft-lbs setting.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Allen_B
Take it to SWFLANT.

Nevermind, this isn't nuclear weapons so they likely wouldn't have it in the CAL run...

<Sorry, poor Bubblehead joke >

/r

Allen
been there, done that

Get notified of new replies

To How to Get Torque Wrench Calibrated?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Carsonvette
I am a Metrologist in Aerospace, I calibrate tools for a living. All torque wrenches need regular checks to insure they are in calibration. How often depends on how often it is used and quality of construction. If it has been dropped it should also re-checked. I would never trust a torque wrench that has not been calibrated. That said, if you use a quality Calibration lab you will pay about what a new Torque Wrench is worth.
Originally Posted by GOLD72
I treat mine like a surgical instrument. It is stored in its case and kept in my master bedroom closet. Never used as a wrench to remove bolts & nuts and always stored at 20 ft-lbs setting.

I use to take care of these chores for the military when I was in Nuclear Weapons (in the service).

They ARE delicate instruments which REQUIRE calibration checks/corrections intermittently. We always stored ours on zero. However, for tactical nukes, we might not get the luxury of keeping the torque wrench in climate controlled conditions if deployment were underway. But, for critical torques we had a instrument which would validate the wrtench before the critical torque value.

But YES, torque wrenches DO get knocked around and require calibration.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Carsonvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GOLD72
A Torque Wrench should be set to "zero" when not in use.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Check out this video....I am going to do it this way. Even if it is off then you know by how much.

Quick Reply: How to Get Torque Wrench Calibrated?