C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture Inside RF Headlight (on Lens)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Faster than a bullet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moisture Inside RF Headlight (on Lens)

Is it possible to open the headlight assembly and reseal the lens w/o replacing the entire headlight, spending a $1000 and without an engineering degree? I'm in the process of checking to see if it's covered by my extended warranty, but thought I'd ask.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 AM
blackonblack2011
Racer

Cant answer you question directly but a quick piece of advice. Take a picture of the moisture in the headlight. I had the same problem for a few days a couple months back. Mine is still under warranty and they would have fixed it but they "could not duplicate the problem" and it had already dried by appointment time. Hasn't come back yet but it bothers me knowing it could. Dealer said he would have done it on good faith if the darn things weren't so expensive.

Good luck and i hope they help you out.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 AM
JLMounce
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taking the lens off is no small task. I'd avoid it.

With that said, the owners manual does cover this as a normal item. Depending on the climate you're in, you may get some condensation within the housing.

Turn the car on and run the lights for a while (take her out for an evening cruise). It'll evaporate the moisture.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:38 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Not an eay thing to do at all. I agree with driving with the headlights on. It should help. Use them whenever your in the car night or day and it should help a lot.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:05 PM
VETTEPLAY
Instructor

Answer is yes you can but as already stated its a pain. You have to take the front off the car just to get them off. Then you have to heat the headlight assemply, CAREFULLY, to soften the adhesive that seals the lens. Once your done you have to reheat the assembly, carefully reseal the cover lens then reinstall and reattach the front of your car.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:26 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

There is no need to mess with the lens at all. Just go to the rear of the lamp, and remove the rubber boot cover replaceable bulb and socket assembly and you should be able to dry it out with a hairdryer, or tape a cloth to thin stick and insert it and wipe out the moisture.

You'll have to remove the wheel and I believe an access panel on the inner fender to get to the back of the headlight assy.

Last edited by RainMan12; 11-29-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

If this is a new condition, then as already stated, it is mentioned in the owners manual and it is a common issue. The lights will dry it out. If you have had the moisture for any length of time and it has not corrected itself, then you may have another issue.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Keep my user name handy for when you need a lens replacement. I include instructions.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

The headlamps are not sealed units; so having the unit changed will not gain anything. The condensation is simply a result of temporary atmospheric conditions and will dissipate with time. It is a common occurance with the C6 headlamps.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by vetteright
The headlamps are not sealed units; so having the unit changed will not gain anything. The condensation is simply a result of temporary atmospheric conditions and will dissipate with time. It is a common occurance with the C6 headlamps.
But if it really bothers you or if it leaves a residue....you can remove the bulb and use a piece of micro fiber cloth attached to one of those spring loaded probes and "swab" the inside lense.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Faster than a bullet
Advanced

Default Moisture Inside RF Headlight (on Lens)

All excellent recommendations/comments. I'm having Chevrolet look at it Monday, but it does not appear to be a covered item under the extended warranty, so I will surely employ one or all of these recommendations - short of paying the $1k or so to replace the unit.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:56 AM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Moisture behind the lenses is normal after a drive in colder temps. My 07 c6 came with a DVD about the car that was like a video version of the owners manual and I specifically remember the video talking about this. They said it was normal and they would dry out because they are not sealed. Something about helping with cooling of the hid bulbs. But it's completely normal. And if your dealer replaced yours under warranty because of it they are idiots.

Get notified of new replies

To Moisture Inside RF Headlight (on Lens)

Quick Reply: Moisture Inside RF Headlight (on Lens)