C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped paint off chrome rims (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:16 AM
FASTENUF
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stripped paint off chrome rims (need help)

Well I started stripping the paint off my OEM chrome rims. The fronts look really good, just going to have them clear coated, but both of the rear rims have a lot of defects in the chrome.

The worst one has a spot probably 3 or 4 inchs square that has no chrome at all (just bare metal) and where the chrome ends it is starting to peel off.

What would be the best way to get them looking good? Just paint the bad spot?

One guy suggested have the barrels of the wheels sand blasted and then power coated with a chrome finish. Any body ever see a chrome powder coating? Does it look like chrome?

Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 AM
RedRider1
Pro

Just have them powder coated black and it would look awesome. Problem solved.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 PM
FASTENUF
Racer

Yea, I saw a thread where a guy did gloss black and it did look good but I would prefer to keep the barrels chrome if I can.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Ken McGee
8th Gear

I'll be watching the thread as I have a couple of spots where I removed balancing weight glue and the paint came off too. Chrome underneath is showing through. I thought the whole barrel must be chromed, am I wrong here? Us older guys love our chrome. No black wheels for me.
I'm thinking that I'd replace that wheel that has pealing chrome. Not a new one from GM, but a nice used wheel.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 AM
FASTENUF
Racer

The entire rim is chromed, but the chrome underneath the paint is not the best. I guess since they paint over it, GM doesn't really care what it looks like or if it even completely covers the barrels.

So, nobody has any experience with "chrome powder coating"?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTENUF
...since they paint over it, GM doesn't really care what it looks like or if it even completely covers the barrels.
That's my understanding. Check out this post showing a similar issue I had. In my case, there was no chrome peeling like your pic seems to show.

My concern with your wheels is that if the existing chrome is actually peeling, you don't really want to put any coating over that bad chrome.

Someone suggested sandblasting the barrels? Will sandblasting remove the existing chrome?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 PM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have your heart set on chrome barrels, and are willing to go to the hassle of taking the tires off and rebalanced, consider just getting the wheels rechromed. Price it out with guys that handle chroming for dealers in your area.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:53 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by FASTENUF
The entire rim is chromed, but the chrome underneath the paint is not the best. I guess since they paint over it, GM doesn't really care what it looks like or if it even completely covers the barrels.
I suspect the chrome on the barrels is just flash from the plating process, not something that's really intended to be there.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I would love chrome barrels on Black Beauty!!!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 PM
FASTENUF
Racer

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
Someone suggested sandblasting the barrels? Will sandblasting remove the existing chrome?
The guy that said he could powder coat them with a chrome finish, said he would sand blast them to clean them up and then powder coat but I don't think he was saying that it would remove the chrome.

Get notified of new replies

To Stripped paint off chrome rims (need help)

Quick Reply: Stripped paint off chrome rims (need help)