C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

427 owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 04:37 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default 427 owners

To all of you who already have one of these beauties, I am looking for your input. I will be buying some form of vette by year end. It will be a vert. I have owned several in the past, and know what I am getting into, but have been without for a few years getting my business off the gorund. This will esentially be year end bonus for my efforts, lol.

On to the question. I will use this vehicle as nothing more than a second car on nice days, other than that, in the garage. I drive my F150 daily. So for you guys, is the 427 worth the extra money? or should I stick with a grand sport? I am on the fence, and need some prodding.Help?

I would prefer if those if you who can offer real value to my confused mind pm me, in lieu of opening up a big can of worms here in open forum. Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 PM
NaplesDoc427
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never owned a GS, but had an LS3 vert in 2008, hands down this 427 is better IMO, the sound is amazing, gobs of torque, I too own it as a 2nd garage kept vehicle and wouldn't trade it for the world! So I guess you figured out my answer is a resounding, "Yes, it is definitely worth the extra money". Good luck with your decision and happy to hear the business is doing well. Any specific questions I would be happy to answer.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 PM
flange
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

Down there by the coast did it see any water in the recent storms? can I come borrow yours instead?, lol
Old 11-27-2012, 05:07 PM
NaplesDoc427
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol. No, luckily my garage and my baby were high and dry, but just a mile or so away it was pretty much a wipeout. This and many other areas will take years to rebuild. My heart really goes out to anyone effected by the storm. Now go out and grab a 427! Some great deals out there from what I see.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:11 PM
flange
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

got my eye on a few. In the process of clearing things up for year end, and refinancing two homes. my bank just gave me the green light today with repsect to the refi's, knowing that I want ot do this before year end. now just waiting on the accountant to let me know if I should pay cash or finance, lol. ( that part is just making fun of the other thread).
Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

My one suggestion would be to browse the Z06 section. The LS7, at least some of them, are having some issues.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:14 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Traded my Z06 in for the 427 and never gave it a second thought. I KNOW I wouldn't have been happy with a plain Corvette, Grand Sport or not. Needed that extra kick. Would have bought the ZR1 if I could have afforded it, but this is plenty of power and love the convertible. My opinion........GO FOR IT!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,438 Likes on 781 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It was either the 427 or a ZR1 for me. You can't go topless in the ZR1. My 06 is supercharged and if I feel the need for more than the 427 has to offer, I'll supercharge it.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The Grand Sport convertible is very nice car so it truly can be a close call whether the 427 Convertible is "worth" the extra cost. Comparably equipped the price difference between the two is approx. 14K which is not a small amount of money. However, if the extra cost is not a prohibitive factor, I think most of the extra cost would be recovered in the future selling value of the 427 versus the GS. Both will depreciate, but the relatively low production of the 427 and its one year status both would tend to help slow its depreciation.

For background I've had multiple C6s, including a GS coupe, and we also have an '09 convertible. My GS had the F55 as does the 427, but I would say that the ride feels even a bit nicer in the 427. Probably, mainly due to the Michelin tires from the ZR1 that are standard on the 427. Just driving around town the GS and 427 cars feel very similar power wise, but clearly when you put your foot into it there is that sense of extra torque with the 427. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way, but if the 427 is within your budget, I think you would be happy that you made that choice.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 PM
flange
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

budget really isnt a driving factor. I know I want the vert, it really just comes down to a 15k decision on gs or 427, but I am leaning toward the 427 for the cool factor if nothing else, lol. I honestly wanted to order one and do thew whole museum delivery deal, but some things ran long with combining mortgages and I missed the chance to do so. Today my bank told me it would have been fine, but I never thought to ask to be honest, as usually they dont want you to make financial moives in the process.

I have found one that I like in principle, I just have to make the time to go see it in person. What I was really looking for, I huess, is to make sure that none of the current owners really had any second thoughts on spending the extra dough, but it seems unlikely.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Bob86gn
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Once you drive the 427 I think it will speak for itself. I think it is definitely worth it.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Essentially it's a ~$12K engine option. Is $160 per horsepower a good deal?

IMO it isn't, but I bought a 427 anyway. With a few small exceptions, it's exactly the car I'd build if I had free access to the Corvette parts bins.

And I knew about the LS7 issues years ago.

OTOH, I had the money to spend. If I didn't, I'd surely not feel bad about a GS convertible. I will never use that extra 75 horsepower, really.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 PM
flange
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

I will likely use half of the horsepower. It isnt about strictly going fast for me, those days were in the eighties for me when I was much more carefree. Now that I am mid forties, its for enjoyment on nice days, rides to the beach that sort of thing. the cost strictly looking at the net horsepower or displacement gain, is significant. The intrinsic value of knowing its a legendary number in the series that was last offered in a vert when I was single digits, well, there may be a little more to it, sortof elipsing the price/horsepower ratio.

The purchase for me is more about growing up a poor kid, deciding to strike out on my own, and finally feeling comfortable enough being self employed to do so. sortof an I have arrived moment. All of the sleepless nights, struggles etc are (hopefully) in the past.

I gave up my 1995 vert. which I loved, to do so a few years back, and its time to get a replacement. I started out this year looking at 08's, then moved to 10 grand sppts, and finally have decided to make the move into what I really want. A god friend of mine put things into perspective for me. It isnt a decision to buy a car, its merely a decision over ten to thirty thousand bucks to decide WHICH car.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

It's undeniably cool. When I was a kid, there was a speed shop in town that had kind of a lobby/showroom with a handful of classic cars on display. One was a '67 Corvette convertible, Goodwood Green, 427/435 four-speed. I loved that car, I even had dreams about it.

Well, this is as close as I'll ever get. My usage profile, BTW, is pretty much just like yours.

I'm not without concerns - mainly the possibility of valve issues, although I think forewarned is forearmed on that. There are a few things I would do differently - I don't like the spoiler, I wouldn't have chosen the mag shocks - and I don't care for the 19/20 wheels. But I took care of the latter, bought a set of Z06 spiders and Bridgestones and sold the stockers - and came out about $500 ahead. And I can live with the others.

So far, I don't have any regrets.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 PM
flange
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

I am in the same boat with the spoiler, although I like the mag ride, and would get in the gs if chose to go that way. Still undecided on wheels, so leaning toward stock, and dealing with that issue on a need be basis. I also dont think the nav is necessary, but its part of the deal so be it. would like to see beter interior choices, but again, its the end of the run, so i do understand GM wont change it up now when they are simply stoking the fires making good margins for one last year of this body, since the infrastructure is paid for several years ago. overall, a very cool package.

I thought about waiting for the C7, but first year run isnt for me regardless of how sweet it is, I prefer to wait a bit if I like that style when it shows up.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Well, good luck, whatever route you choose!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 PM
JWZ
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flange
To all of you who already have one of these beauties, I am looking for your input. I will be buying some form of vette by year end. It will be a vert. I have owned several in the past, and know what I am getting into, but have been without for a few years getting my business off the gorund. This will esentially be year end bonus for my efforts, lol.

On to the question. I will use this vehicle as nothing more than a second car on nice days, other than that, in the garage. I drive my F150 daily. So for you guys, is the 427 worth the extra money? or should I stick with a grand sport? I am on the fence, and need some prodding.Help?

I would prefer if those if you who can offer real value to my confused mind pm me, in lieu of opening up a big can of worms here in open forum. Thanks in advance!!
Can you say 4 2 7?!? LOL!! There's a lot of cars that put a smile on your face...........the 4 2 7 keeps it there!! PM for any specific questions- be glad to help. Others currently in garage with the 4 2 7 are an '08 LS3 'Vert & a '10 ZR1

Get notified of new replies

To 427 owners

Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Before you buy, compare with this 427 deal:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...nvertible.html
Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 AM
JWZ
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Before you buy, compare with this 427 deal:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...nvertible.html
+1!! Ken Fitchner is a stand-up guy!! He treated me fair!!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 AM
flange
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

I saw that deal. I am one of those people who has a mind that is analytic, not artsy so to speak. I cannot envision the color combo with the headlight override, black top, etc. I really am one of those who needs to see something, not visualize. I have been trying to find one with that scheme so I can look at it, either online or in person. I am within a reasonable drive from kerbeck, so I am trying to find time in the next few days to go by there and have a look at their inventory.

Quick Reply: 427 owners