C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Column Lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:54 AM
willscotmont
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Column Lock

My column lock engages and disengages in a sluggish manner at times. Other times it sounds correct. It manifests itself in the way it sounds. Lately the DIC has been displaying "SERVICE COLUMN LOCK". It didn't start the other day. Turning the ignition on and off a couple of times solved the problem and it started.

I saw the add for the column lock bypass module but I'm wondering if its hard to replace the column lock module or maybe it just needs some well placed lube. Any thoughts out there?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:52 AM
atomicgoofball
Racer

just recently my 05 has been acting up, only about 30k miles on it and ive only had the car for a few months.

I tried to start the car, and it doesnt start. Everything else worked fine. I tried to start a few times and it would kick in. Its been doing it more and more recently, pretty much every time i need to go somewhere. The service column light pops on. I decided to order the bypass which hopefully will get here friday, and i plan on installing it myself.

I hear that this is a common thing, and the bypass should help or is recommended sooner or later.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM
chickenstrips
Intermediate

Same problem here. I've solved it temporarily by just turning the car completely off, moving the steering wheel up or down a notch (with the lever on the left), and then starting again. It's worked every time.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column Lock

Quick Reply: Steering Column Lock