C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shameless fine for missing front plate.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 08:41 PM
JJPonzini
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
The front plate law is the dumbest one on the books. The only thing the plate is good for is revenue from tickets.
It helps to identify the vehicle from both directions. Very useful for law enforcement to find a car. Sometimes the stakes are very high, like when a vehicle might hav a kinapped child in it. I guess for those kind of circumstances, how clean the front of our Vettes look is kind of secondary.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 PM
sxs191
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the need of having two plates is that crucial, why are there 19 states that only require one? I also read on line, "it aids in the use of red light violation cameras which take pictures of the car and attempt to identify the vehicle by its plates." It was on line so you know it has to be true.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:56 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ptroxx
Actuallt it helps get you speeding tickets..
The police use your front plate to get a radar reading and without one it makes it harder to get you ....
Wouldn't that be a good reason not to have a front tag?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:58 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
"Unsecured load" .............. Priceless. That has to rate as the worst piece of paper written. Talk about abuse of power.
Talk about an easy one to get out of. Contest it and walk away "Not Guilty"
Old 11-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by JJPonzini
And that would help the streets stay safer how?? Or would it just make your cop ego get even more inflated?? Or did you take an oath to enforce the law to a greater extent on those that speak down to you?

And you wonder why voters are cutting your pensions?

I'm no cop LMAO!! Just find it funny Vette owners who complain about their tickets
Old 11-22-2012, 09:08 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
"Unsecured load" .............. Priceless. That has to rate as the worst piece of paper written. Talk about abuse of power.
Originally Posted by johnodrake
Talk about an easy one to get out of. Contest it and walk away "Not Guilty"
I was all set to contest it. My call to the court clerk was to ascertain the court costs, as it is still possible to lose in a kangaroo court. Even if the charge might be plead down, in many jerkwater municipalities it's possible that the reduced charge + added court costs could then exceed the onerous original charge.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I'm no cop LMAO!! Just find it funny Vette owners who complain about their tickets
You found it funny he was stopped for one thing and was giving a ticket for something totally different that he had not done?

Well here's hoping you have have some of that fun too!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
I was all set to contest it. My call to the court clerk was to ascertain the court costs, as it is still possible to lose in a kangaroo court. Even if the charge might be plead down, in many jerkwater municipalities it's possible that the reduced charge + added court costs could then exceed the onerous original charge.
The ticket is patently false and made even more so when the charge was changed - Now the ticket turned in doesn't match the one in hand - dismissed.....
Old 11-22-2012, 09:14 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Schadenfreude makes you a less alert reader. You deliberately overlooked the first sentence of my original post, and then chose to ignore that the violation as originally written was excessive for the actual infraction.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:16 PM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Here we go again,ignorance of the law is no excuse. Speaking down to a LEO like that I would have written you up for everything I could. Boo fkn' Hoo. Lol
You're right. Here we go. "Speaking down to an LEO like that I would have written you up for everything..." So if someone is flip with you that gives you the right to abuse your power? So if someone dares question the reason for the stop its ok to, what, take the ole baton and bust the taillight? Maybe rough them up a bit. Give them the ole "Stop resisting" treatment, AFTER you make sure you're out of the video camera's field of view?

It's called discretion. Every LEO has it and should use it often in a fair and equal manner. The bs part is is this was one of the cop's buddies, or of it was a big breasted skirt, the cop would likely let them off with a wink and smile. Don't give me that holier than thou crap.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:26 PM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Couldn't you fight the plate citation since technically you were never cited for it? I assume you signed a ticket for an unsecured load Didn't think they could just change it to anything they want after you leave the scene

Maybe I'm wrong
Old 11-22-2012, 09:30 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

FWIW...I rarely if ever see a Corvette pulled over. I have yet to have been given a ticket in mine as I knock on wood. Certainly I have been pulled over but I have been very lucky and am polite as can be when I do get yanked. My job helps tremendously and I will leave it at that.

Last edited by raspyc6; 11-22-2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: lucky dog
Old 11-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Glen1224
Burning Brakes

Location: Lower Macungie Township ; Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 01VETTECOP
dam cops !
hahahahahahahaha
Old 11-22-2012, 09:35 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

What kind of load is secured in a vette versus unsecured load?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Anyone consider that since it was a brand new LEO he simply made a mistake, did you ask him when he handed you the ticket to explain it to you
Old 11-22-2012, 09:49 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Guinnessboy
Couldn't you fight the plate citation since technically you were never cited for it? I assume you signed a ticket for an unsecured load Didn't think they could just change it to anything they want after you leave the scene

Maybe I'm wrong
Well, I don't know about your state, but technically, you don't have to sign the ticket for it to be in force.

But you've hit on a very important point that I detailed in my original post. If I've got normal municipal law correct, only the prosecutor can amend a ticket, or the judge can make a ruling in court. But violation amendments are not done due to a simple phone call. So true, someone in the city seems to be able to change violations out of court, and after the fact.

This is the crux of my narrative. That apparently in Bella Villa, a motorist can be stopped for for one violation, be charged for another, and anything can happen before the court date. It's all very arbitrary.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by okie08vette
Anyone consider that since it was a brand new LEO he simply made a mistake, did you ask him when he handed you the ticket to explain it to you
One thing I know for sure, it is foolish to make a legal challenge on the side of the road. As I saw it was a computer generated ticket, I knew immediately it was electronically transmitted. Any explanation from the cop was of no consequence. I was going to have to make a court challenge, or so I thought.

Get notified of new replies

To Shameless fine for missing front plate.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 PM
terradriller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vinita Park, Charlack, Dellwood???

All prime spots

Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
Disclaimer: Running without a front plate, for aesthetic reasons, is a violation of law in 2 plate states, and I acknowledge the legal risk of doing this.
Me too, and so far, after 30 years, not a ticket yet (knock on wood ). We have the advantage of being right next to NM, which is a no-front-plate state. I've been pulled over a few times in those 30 years here in TX, and never an issue. But I always pull over right away, and am courteous with the LEOs, so don't give them an excuse to give me crap .
Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by csun213
Wouldn't that be a good reason not to have a front tag?

THats why I dont have one Charlie...

Quick Reply: Shameless fine for missing front plate.