C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle Nuts, Loose Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Axle Nuts, Loose Again

When our 2009 coupe had about 7k miles, the dealer did the axle nut bulletin- new nuts, Loctite, retorque, sit 24 hrs.

Recently at about 51k miles, I checked them by attempting to tighten. One of them moved at about 60 lb-ft.

So yesterday, a local shop (not the dealer) and I redid them- new nuts again, cleaned all the old Loctite. Had to order the Loctite 272 & solvent, no one had them in stock locally. When we removed the previous nuts, they both came off easily.

This would not have been a good job for the dealer- it took us an hour to get the old Loctite off by using Loctite Chisel solvent + wire brush + metal pick.

So, why did the previous job fail? I don't know, but here are some possibilities:

Loctite was old or wrong grade
Nut and/or axle not degreased
Insufficient torque when installing
Car moved before 24 hour setup time

We did it all correctly, so this time it had better stay together.

Just for grins, the axle nuts needed different size sockets depending on when the nuts were purchased/installed:

2006 factory nuts: 33mm
2006 replacement nuts: 33mm
2009 factory nuts: 34 mm
2009 replacement nuts: one 33mm, one 34mm
2009 latest nuts: 33mm

I've seen several different torque numbers claimed to be in the GM bulletin; 140, 160, 190.

Since our axle had been torqued twice already, and the Loctite should do a good job this time, we used 140 lb-ft. I'll post in the future if they come loose again.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

There were enough threads on mine (and room under the center wheel cap) that I used the old nut as a double nut and marked location. They haven't moved since.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

A long time ago I thought I read of someone else doing the double-nut thing. A good reminder tho, if there's space to do it.

I didn't know the car came with Loctite used on it so possibly the initial cleaning process was less at the dealer. As to the waiting 24 hrs. before moving it (so that the Loctite would set up, I guess), somehow I just can't imagine that happening at/in a dealer's bay. But maybe...

Next report in 2 years!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:56 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Mine has held, so far. At 368 miles, my dealer replaced the axle nuts on my 09 Z06 using loctite. Now, 24,000 miles later, no problems.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by AORoads
A long time ago I thought I read of someone else doing the double-nut thing. A good reminder tho, if there's space to do it.

I didn't know the car came with Loctite used on it so possibly the initial cleaning process was less at the dealer. As to the waiting 24 hrs. before moving it (so that the Loctite would set up, I guess), somehow I just can't imagine that happening at/in a dealer's bay. But maybe...

Next report in 2 years!
I'm pretty sure they don't come from the factory with Loctite, the old Loctite we had to remove was from when the dealer did the bulletin at about 7k miles.

They kept my car overnight, but perhaps it got moved inside the building. Or the other possibilities I listed.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:33 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
There were enough threads on mine (and room under the center wheel cap) that I used the old nut as a double nut and marked location. They haven't moved since.
Good idea.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:47 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

What are the detrimental symptoms that might indicate you need to do this?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GS-Zero
What are the detrimental symptoms that might indicate you need to do this?
low speed clunk when getting on or off the gas
Old 11-22-2012, 07:33 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by victorf
An possible solution without involving skill:

Currently, there is a better alternative - Nord-Lock Lock washer. Google their web site and see for yourself!

Yup. The ZR comes with Nord Locks. Which made me scratch my head and wonder why they just didn't put them on all of them.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:44 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by victorf
GM is recommending Loctite 272, if properly pre cleaned and applied - once cured, it is claimed to be permanent and require heat to disassemble. Appears to be a desperate but cheap fix! Beside there is heat in the hub area during operation and being it is a chemical and not a positive physical device, I don't believe any racing sanction currently would approve this method! Furthermore, more on my personal level as to involved using heat to remove? Clear coat on my aluminum wheel will suffer!

Double nutting is old school and I'd used it in the past for both captivation as well as removing studs! But, there is high possibility that can also fail!

---

The sure way to prevent flanged or regular hex nut from loosening within a cavity, where it is not feasible to lock wire is to do the modified Brun Lock - pilot drill, tap then screwed the flange portion to the mating hub surface below, using three equally spaced small machined heat treated socket head screw. But that process is beyond most people's capability here on the forum.

An possible solution without involving skill:

Currently, there is a better alternative - Nord-Lock Lock washer. Google their web site and see for yourself!
Nord Lock looks like a good solution, but its cost may have been a deterrent to its use on the run of the mill C6.

BTW, what does it cost, and what size is used? Last I read, the regular washers from GM were something like $11.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:59 AM
heli-vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loctite can be loosen with a small propane torch or electric heat gun ( industrial hair drier ) . Cut some tin as a heat shield for the wheel . Once you hit about 200 - 250 F on the middle of a nut flat it comes off, at 300 F its liquid . Some use two part epoxy paint as a lock ,you only need to get the inner base threads of the nut and flat washer faces . I notice a clunk when backing up .... as loosened axle nuts .

Last edited by heli-vette; 11-23-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

It's possible to work on the axle nuts with the wheels installed, I've removed the center caps and checked them that way. But it's much more convenient to remove the rear wheels and get easier access to everything.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Good idea!!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:26 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

After reading this thread I went out and checked mine. THEY ARE LOOSE. In fact, the passenger side turned 1/4 turn, with very little effort. I have a 08 Vert purchased NEW. It has 27,000 miles. Is it still covered by warranty? Or am I better off just buying those Nor loc washers and torquing it specs myself?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:07 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
After reading this thread I went out and checked mine. THEY ARE LOOSE. In fact, the passenger side turned 1/4 turn, with very little effort. I have a 08 Vert purchased NEW. It has 27,000 miles. Is it still covered by warranty? Or am I better off just buying those Nor loc washers and torquing it specs myself?
Little bit unclear at least to me. My thinking is it may be part of Powertrain, and that's 5/100K from in-service date. If your car's late '08 production maybe it's still in Powertrain. Even if it's not, dealer may do it under courtesy warranty.

But, knowing what's been written above, seems like if you do it once w. these Nord Locs, it's done. As Victor sez, more costly but.....
Old 11-23-2012, 11:47 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has this changed very recently? My car (2013) has axle nuts with a..well, I'd call it a collar with tabs that bend down into keyways on the axle end. Never seen anything like them before.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Admiral Ballsy
Has this changed very recently? My car (2013) has axle nuts with a..well, I'd call it a collar with tabs that bend down into keyways on the axle end. Never seen anything like them before.
That's interesting, can you post a pic?

Get notified of new replies

To Axle Nuts, Loose Again

Old 11-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Here are a couple, impromptu cellphone pics:

I can't tell if the slot and the tabs are pre-formed in the nut collar, or if there's some tool that's set over the end of the axle after the nut is tightened, then clocked to the keyway, then punches the tabs out and in.

I am 99% certain that that collar is part of the axle nut, and not some separate piece.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for the pics!

That looks like a neat setup, and it only took them 7 years to figure it out.

Unfortunately, the older cars like our 2009 don't have the slots in the axle. But the new nuts/Loctite were still good on our 2006 when sold at 44k miles, so I'm reasonably hopeful the latest effort will stay in place.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 11-24-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
That looks like a neat setup, and it only took them 7 years to figure it out.
I've never seen anything like it before, but this is the first RWD car I've owned with IRS.

I guess there'd be a PN change on the axles whenever they instituted this. Wonder if it's on all models, or only some - do they all use the same axles?

Quick Reply: Axle Nuts, Loose Again