C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was your car sufficiently detailed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Bill Soda
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I specifically tell them not to touch my car when I buy them. I don't care if it looks like total **** leaving the lot, they'll only make it worse.
Well spoken....totally agree
Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

My detailing shop(Shameless Plug)Deep Reflections
does dealer work for 6 or 7 big dealers, and we have never done a new car. All of them wash the car, vacuum it and deliver it. We do their used cars and the ones we do get Zaino Clear Seal on them. We have tried to get them to give us their high end new cars, but have not generated any interest. A couple do Perma Plate because the name is known, the margins very, very high.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The car was a complete mess... The dealer I purchased the car from had to get it from another dealer's inventory. My salesman told me not to worry because they always park Corvettes in the showroom or under cover... WRONG!

My BLACK corvette was parked next to a sprinkler system in sunny California. I could not believe the severe water marks in the clear coat.

I ultimately had the car detailed by a professional (not at the dealership) on the dealership's dime... $200 bucks laters, the car looked the way it should have when I received it. This made me realize the importance of learning how to properly detail your own car. Now no one touches my car but me....
Old 11-21-2012, 10:40 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

What I've found over the years, and pretty much across the board no matter what kind of car that I've bought, that they look nice at delivery, but I can take them home and still do more to have them better satisfy my preferences.

Generally, I feel that when I trade them or sell them, they are as clean as when I received them. Of course, they may have some wear that comes from use, but the cleanliness won't be an issue.

Last edited by 3GenVettes; 11-22-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 PM
The NNIAL8R
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13
"I voluntarily took 60 days off from OT"

Originally Posted by Rossi6998
The car was a complete mess... The dealer I purchased the car from had to get it from another dealer's inventory. My salesman told me not to worry because they always park Corvettes in the showroom or under cover... WRONG!

My BLACK corvette was parked next to a sprinkler system in sunny California. I could not believe the severe water marks in the clear coat.

I ultimately had the car detailed by a professional (not at the dealership) on the dealership's dime... $200 bucks laters, the car looked the way it should have when I received it. This made me realize the importance of learning how to properly detail your own car. Now no one touches my car but me....
Wife bought a new ZR2 Blazer in 2001..Against my wishes, she decided to have it detailed before delivery...The guy that cleaned it must have had a stone in the sole of his shoe(s)...He stood in the door sills to reach the roof, and scratched the living P*SS out of the sills..It's almost like he did a fecking tap dance on them ....I was so p*ssed I told the dealership not to worry about fixing it, I repainted it myself...

Keep in mind most people that clean cars at dealerships are "lot boys" earning little more than minimum wage (if that)
Old 11-22-2012, 09:08 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I purchased my car from a local dealer, however the car was located out of state. When it arrived, it looked as if it had been washed with a scotch brite pad. (The car is black). The dealer made one attempt to polish out the swirls and just made things worse. I took the car to a local professional detail shop and they made the car look fine. The dealer paid the bill, too!
I've had the car for 7 years now, and just last week took the car back to the detail shop where again they performed their magic. Car looks new, inside and outside.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:38 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

My 05 vert was a NCM pickup and it was done extremely well. FWIW the guide will spend as much time with you to explain/demonstrate all the features on the car to your complete satisfaction.
Far from buying any vehicle at most dealership where the sales guy points out a couple things hands you the keys and goes back into find another person to sell something too. Sometimes saying to you as you drive away the owner’s manual is in the glove box.

Got my 07 Z06 from a central NY dealership that did a brisk business in Vettes and the car was well detailed and he was willing to answer any and all questions. As this was my 2ed C6 I knew my way around pretty good. All new Vettes were delivered by the dealership owner who was a serious Vette person himself. Of course this was one of the dealerships attacked and shut down when the government took over GM. SAD!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:48 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
Here is a general question. How many on this board believe their new or used C6 was sufficiently detailed by the dealer prior to delivery?

In my case, the dealer who sold me my brand new 2012 C6 was outstanding in every way and I would certainly purchase from him again. My only potential complaint is that he could have paid a little more attention to the car itself prior to delivery. The car was washed off but not hand dried (water spots). It was clearly not waxed (that rough drag feel to the surface of the paint), and the inside of the driver's door had a shoe scuff down low in the usual place (easily cleaned but why did I have to do it?)...

Now, I realize that like most 'Vette owners, I am a bit "over the top" obsessive when it comes to my car looking perfect all the time and I also realize many buyers would probably not have noticed these little things. Still, I believe the dealer could have paid better attention

BTW, I remember years ago when I worked for AMC/Jeep, we completely washed, waxed, and detailed EVERY vehicle that went out the door. We took serious pride of everything we delivered...

How was your delivery experience?
I don't allow them to wash it only service it when it comes off the truck I am usually at dealer when it comes off the truck. No dealer stickers are allowed all plastic is left on the interior. I wash and wax with zanio and remove plastic and keep all part #'s off plastic wrap.
z51vett
Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I expect a new car to be clean and 'presentable' but I wouldn't want the dealership to wax my new car. Hell, some dealerships pad the bill and build 'detailing' right into the purchase price. I bought my wife a Cadillac SRX a few years ago and every car at the Cadillac dealership had both interior and exterior "protective" treatments added onto the invoice for like $600....it was outrageous! I asked to buy the vehicle without these add-ons but I was told no can do. It was a ripoff plain and simple. I expect a new car to be in new car condition but I don't want the dealership to do anything special to it.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:30 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,573 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Wow, some great replies which leads me to make an interesting observation.

Before I purchased my 'Vette, I owned a 2008 Jaguar XK (beautiful car but riddled with problems) I posted routenely to the Jaguar blog and once saw a very similiar question asked there. The answers from Jaguar owners were quite different from the answers I have heard here:

"I can't believe they did not wax my car!"

"I made them wax the car several times over until the paint was smooth enough"

"I brought it right back and stood there to make sure they applied the polish"

"I don't "do" wax"

"That's what I pay THEM for"

I may have been a Jaguar owner but I have never been a snob (in fact I grew up poorer then most). More importantly, it is obvious to me in contrast to the previous group of car owners I interacted with, Corvette owners are self reliant, passionate folks who at the end of the day would much rather do it themselves...

Very impressed, I am....
Old 11-22-2012, 12:02 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Got a one owner 06 vert and the detailing was superb. Jimmy Vasser Chevrolet in Napa CA.

Quick Reply: Was your car sufficiently detailed?