C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette model rivalry...too damn many models!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

So let me repeat my question: which models should Chevrolet never have produced?

I assume the ZR1 and Z06 were huge mistakes because they went beyond mere engine and suspension variants. But was the Grand Sport also a mistake?

And why is it OK for Porsche and Mustang to offer a dozen different models but not Chevy?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryBob
So let me repeat my question: which models should Chevrolet never have produced?

I assume the ZR1 and Z06 were huge mistakes because they went beyond mere engine and suspension variants. But was the Grand Sport also a mistake?

And why is it OK for Porsche and Mustang to offer a dozen different models but not Chevy?
I never said that any of the 7 models of Corvettes were/are a mistake. I am just saying that I don't think they need so many different models of Corvette. Why not have a Coupe, Convertible and a ZR1. In the Coupe and Convertible they could offer a higher performance engine as an option along with suspension, tire and other performance pkgs. If they did that they would cover what's available in the 7 models into 3.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Don't you think the sticker price is inflated by about 12k to make it look like your getting a great deal when they knock 10k off. I dont think they played those games years ago as much.

It's kinda like buying furniture. We were out looking at living room sets today and wouldn't you know it, everything was 50% off the retail price...
Really from invoice, the Corvettes are not marked up as much as one would think.
MSRP on my car was $53,920 and the invoice was $49,055. That is only
$4865. Even adding the 3% holdback it's only around $6400. But with the $3000 loyalty rebate, $2000 rebate on '12's and $1500 dealer cash it totals $12,900. Well I did a grand better than that and wasn't charged for the $1175 worth of dealer installed items. The sales mgr. said it was a net loss of over 2 grand on this deal. He had 90 12's on his lot and they have to move them.

Furniture always had a huge markup from cost to retail.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:32 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

there are rebates and incentives that dealers also get from the manufacturers as well (unseen to us)..

I like the new way-options...
Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The general public really doesn t know the difference between a base or a ZR1 ..they just look at the car and the sticker. I bet as you drove off anyone whomsaw you thought for sure you car cost 126 grand.

Enjoy the celebrityhood
Old 11-19-2012, 06:15 AM
DaveVY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
Ok lets switch "We" to "I". As far as GM being in the business to sell cars....didn't they get bailed out from the government as they were about to fold? And....Corvette sales are at their lowest in 50 years, this in spite of the 7 models and rebates and discounts galore!
Funny how I remember Corvette sales at or near sticker price for many years when they only had just a Coupe and Convertible that you could order with different engines, transmissions, axle ratios, suspensions and individual options. "I" like the old way better!
I like the new way better. Seems simpler to me vs trying to understand all the variations of ordering codes.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 AM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

The sales mgr. said it was a net loss of over 2 grand on this deal.
Yep, I'm sure he really took a loss on it...
Old 11-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I never said that any of the 7 models of Corvettes were/are a mistake. I am just saying that I don't think they need so many different models of Corvette. Why not have a Coupe, Convertible and a ZR1. In the Coupe and Convertible they could offer a higher performance engine as an option along with suspension, tire and other performance pkgs. If they did that they would cover what's available in the 7 models into 3.

I do respectfully disagree.

It's called market segmentation. Take the regular model and enhance or improve the same, then expand the potential
target audience by varying the "packaged" theme: narrow body, wide body, powertrain, appearance & option combinations,
etc.

Spread the cost of design & tooling over as many units-of-production as possible (this actually supports a profitable lower production level). The result is the "parts-bin" car concept: GS models or 427 'vert, for example (and I am not bashing either,
b-t-w).

The more choices, the more potential buyers. And that, IMO, is a good thing...

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 11-19-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: format
Old 11-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvilin
It is a bit confusing with all the models, plus the fact to most non Corvette owners they pretty much all look the same.
The ZR1 is an awesome machine but for the money I would like it to differentiate itself from the pack in looks as well as performance.
wholeheartedly!!! Ninety % of the public has no clue how to differentiate a Corvette, and not just in model but in generation as well.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
wholeheartedly!!! Ninety % of the public has no clue how to differentiate a Corvette, and not just in model but in generation as well.
So what?
See post #36, your statement can be said for almost every car manufacture.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:50 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
But it is the same with all the car manufactures, most people cannot tell the expensive Porsche from the other 7 models, who can tell the most expensive Aston Martin from the the others. All Mustangs look like crap, There are many, many more examples. A Corvette has to look like a Corvette.
Valid comment with many manufacturers but have to disagree with you on the Porsche. Many people may not know the most expensive model from the rest. But the point is there is a difference in looks and body styles unlike the Corvette where they all pretty much look the same.
In the Porsche lineup you have to admit there is a very distinct difference in body style among the different models.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

In the Porsche lineup you have to admit there is a very distinct difference in body style among the different models.
You can tell a 911 from a Carrera S from a Carrera 4 from a Carrera 4S from a GTS from a Turbo from a Turbo S? By "very distinct differences"?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Valid comment with many manufacturers but have to disagree with you on the Porsche. Many people may not know the most expensive model from the rest. But the point is there is a difference in looks and body styles unlike the Corvette where they all pretty much look the same.
No I can't, sorry . Except for the Carrera GT.

Originally Posted by Admiral Ballsy
You can tell a 911 from a Carrera S from a Carrera 4 from a Carrera 4S from a GTS from a Turbo from a Turbo S? By "very distinct differences"?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I preferred the a la carte days before 'packages' too, but they're gone forever I think.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

No What I meant was there is the 911, Boxster, Cayenne, Cayman, and the Panamera. All with different looks that people on the street can see the difference. With the Vette they all look pretty much the same. That is all.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

No What I meant was there is the 911, Boxster, Cayenne, Cayman, and the Panamera. All with different looks that people on the street can see the difference. With the Vette they all look pretty much the same. That is all.
Yeah, well, I can tell a Camaro from an Equinox from a Malibu from a Corvette, too. What are we talking about again?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Yeah, well, I can tell a Camaro from an Equinox from a Malibu from a Corvette, too. What are we talking about again?
Corvettes all look the same, spend $100K for a ZR1 or 40k for a C6 coupe and to most people they can not tell the difference.
Very simple.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette model rivalry...too damn many models!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Corvettes all look the same, spend $100K for a ZR1 or 40k for a C6 coupe and to most people they can not tell the difference.
Very simple.
Yes. Spend $160K on a Turbo S, or 90K on a Carrera. Most people can't tell the difference. Very simple.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Yes. Spend $160K on a Turbo S, or 90K on a Carrera. Most people can't tell the difference. Very simple.
Yes you have proved the point you are very simple.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Yes you have proved the point you are very simple.
I'll stipulate to that. Your logic is nonexistent, so let's go ad hominem.

You probably don't know what that means, though.

Quick Reply: Corvette model rivalry...too damn many models!