C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

doing a cam....

Old 11-17-2012, 02:56 PM
09REAPER
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default doing a cam....

i want to do a cam but i dont wanna lose driveablity in first gear! i really want the sound of the cam and a little horsepower lol what cam do u guys recomend? my cars a ls3 and i dont want to do heads as i was told the heads on the ls3 are pretty good from the factory! all input is much appreciated!!! thanks guys....
Old 11-17-2012, 04:24 PM
drich2905
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You may want to post this in the FI/NITROUS section if you haven't already. Lot of experience over there. Good lunch with your mod choices
Old 11-17-2012, 04:31 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

^this questions should be posted in another Forum heading, likely Tech/Performance. Your question is a complex one and I get the sense that you might not even know the right questions to ask. There is no one cam that is the right one. Streetability is the key for you if I am catching your drift. 1st gear driveability is not an issue unless you have an Auto in which case you might need a stall convertor. Yes, LS3 heads are great from the factory and many feel to P&P the same yields inadequate power given the money invested to do so, pull heads, etc. You need someone to tune the vehicle as well and you will also need all the support mods. You need to find out what your "goals" are and go from there. Good Luck.

Last edited by raspyc6; 11-17-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:13 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I like cake but I don't like the calories
Old 11-17-2012, 09:20 PM
mracer14
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 104 Posts

Default Cam

You might consider the GM "Hot Cam'. It is listed in the GM Performance Parts Catalog. They advertise it to add 50 hp/torque. I had one in my 2008 LS3 and was very happy with it. You will need a 3 bolt cam gear,Z06 is 3 bolt. Had it installed by a top GM Tech at the Chev. dealership.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:23 AM
09REAPER
Advanced

Originally Posted by raspyc6
^this questions should be posted in another Forum heading, likely Tech/Performance. Your question is a complex one and I get the sense that you might not even know the right questions to ask. There is no one cam that is the right one. Streetability is the key for you if I am catching your drift. 1st gear driveability is not an issue unless you have an Auto in which case you might need a stall convertor. Yes, LS3 heads are great from the factory and many feel to P&P the same yields inadequate power given the money invested to do so, pull heads, etc. You need someone to tune the vehicle as well and you will also need all the support mods. You need to find out what your "goals" are and go from there. Good Luck.
I know I. Need tune, push rods, valve springs, etc, etc. I think I worded it wrong I don't wanna lose any street ability and I'm looking for something that will give a nice nasty cam sound without going big to where ill need gears and stuff I so have a 6 speed! I guess I'm just trying to see what cams people are running and how happy they are with them! Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 11:24 AM
09REAPER
Advanced

Originally Posted by glenB
I like cake but I don't like the calories
Hahaha your right!! Lol
Old 11-18-2012, 01:14 PM
BadgeZ28
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This seems to be an age old problem with cam selection. customers want the rump, rump idle and good low rpm driving manners.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

No disrespect intended, but seems to me you've got two opposite objectives working here. You want the lumpy, nasty sound of a cam, but you don't want to sacrifice driveablility. That sound comes from a cam with high lift & lots of overlap.....both will make driveability suffer. Have you thought about headers, an agressive exhaust system & a good tune? That will give you much of the sound you're looking for plus a bit of a HP pickup, without affecting driveability. Just my 2 cents....
Old 11-18-2012, 04:05 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

^Dave S makes tremendous sense. At this point, the focus is on getting the bolt-ons that one MUST HAVE and tune afterward. Then you gotta be able to put that down to the ground. Look, I have thought out a fully spec'd cam that is a gem for the LS3 motor. I have every last detail mapped out but I said "screw it" to the idea because to be honest I cannot launch from a dead hook perspective with what I have now to the wheels (421/418.) My sense is you would likely be good if you just did that. Don't get me started on talking about Drag Radials either...you'll want them, too. I know...it is like getting a tatoo, right?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:29 AM
09REAPER
Advanced

Originally Posted by raspyc6
^Dave S makes tremendous sense. At this point, the focus is on getting the bolt-ons that one MUST HAVE and tune afterward. Then you gotta be able to put that down to the ground. Look, I have thought out a fully spec'd cam that is a gem for the LS3 motor. I have every last detail mapped out but I said "screw it" to the idea because to be honest I cannot launch from a dead hook perspective with what I have now to the wheels (421/418.) My sense is you would likely be good if you just did that. Don't get me started on talking about Drag Radials either...you'll want them, too. I know...it is like getting a tatoo, right?
I'm used to the whole drag radial thing i run them on all my cars so the vet will be no different !! I want 470hp to the tires in the vet I feel that will be fun without over doing it!! I am doing my headers, thermostat, and intake with a tune now! Also what bolt ons u recomend!!?? Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 12:31 AM
09REAPER
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dave S
No disrespect intended, but seems to me you've got two opposite objectives working here. You want the lumpy, nasty sound of a cam, but you don't want to sacrifice driveablility. That sound comes from a cam with high lift & lots of overlap.....both will make driveability suffer. Have you thought about headers, an agressive exhaust system & a good tune? That will give you much of the sound you're looking for plus a bit of a HP pickup, without affecting driveability. Just my 2 cents....
What bolt ones and intake do u like? I'm being told the lingenfelter is Better then the vararam!!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by 09REAPER
What bolt ones and intake do u like? I'm being told the lingenfelter is Better then the vararam!!
I'm running AR headers with their hi-flow cats & X-pipe and Corsa Sport mufflers.....tune was done by Doug Ring at ECS here in NJ. Intake is stock but I've heard good words about the Varam. I suggest you take the mod steps in stages to judge the results & decide what you like. Once you've gone the "bolt-on" route, you can then decide if you want to go further with a cam & other internals.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

i have done all my mods in stages over past 2 years.
callaway honker cai (as good as lingenfelter)
ported ls2 tb (formatto)
ported fast 102 (spinmonster)
160' stat
kooks 1 3/4 LT ceramic coated headers (jet hot)
no cats
bassani cat back
mail order tune (ECS) "highly recomended"
I have been contemplating a h/c pkg as well......but I can not hook the power i have now in 1+2 gears...even with phadt featherlight coilovers and running 305/30/19 ps2's on back (bit worn though)

bought everything slightly used and made great performance gains...while saving a TON of $$$. I would suggest going this route and then see if you feel you still want a cam. *but...this mod bug is a virus w/ no cure...beware*
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 AM
09REAPER
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dave S
I'm running AR headers with their hi-flow cats & X-pipe and Corsa Sport mufflers.....tune was done by Doug Ring at ECS here in NJ. Intake is stock but I've heard good words about the Varam. I suggest you take the mod steps in stages to judge the results & decide what you like. Once you've gone the "bolt-on" route, you can then decide if you want to go further with a cam & other internals.
Yea that's what I was going to do! I'm going to run the same headers u got going on except ima have the npp mufflers ! Also as far as the tune I was goin to go to the Vette doctors! I've herd great things about ECS but they are far from me I have a few friends that made the drive though and they were very happy!! I also think that Vette doctors is a great shop as well and have done very. Nice work on some of my friends cars!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:32 AM
09REAPER
Advanced

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
i have done all my mods in stages over past 2 years.
callaway honker cai (as good as lingenfelter)
ported ls2 tb (formatto)
ported fast 102 (spinmonster)
160' stat
kooks 1 3/4 LT ceramic coated headers (jet hot)
no cats
bassani cat back
mail order tune (ECS) "highly recomended"
I have been contemplating a h/c pkg as well......but I can not hook the power i have now in 1+2 gears...even with phadt featherlight coilovers and running 305/30/19 ps2's on back (bit worn though)

bought everything slightly used and made great performance gains...while saving a TON of $$$. I would suggest going this route and then see if you feel you still want a cam. *but...this mod bug is a virus w/ no cure...beware*
Wow sounds like u have a Kool package on your car! I want to do it in steps as u said but I am no stranger to the mod virus! Lol what did u feel just off the TB and fast 102mm intake because I have herd they aren't worth doing unless ur making over 500! I really don't believe that! Lol what do u feel different in yur performance with them?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Do NOT go with the GM hot cam...its weak in comparison to others out there. I know guys running the original street sweeper in their LS2 cars and they hold together fine and they make a lot more power than the hot cam and its the same price for the most part.

If it were me I would also update the springs to keep everything together. You dont want springs to get weak over time or worse have one break and there you will sit with a junk engine.

Get notified of new replies

To doing a cam....

Old 11-19-2012, 06:27 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 09REAPER
Wow sounds like u have a Kool package on your car! I want to do it in steps as u said but I am no stranger to the mod virus! Lol what did u feel just off the TB and fast 102mm intake because I have herd they aren't worth doing unless ur making over 500! I really don't believe that! Lol what do u feel different in yur performance with them?
I have an ls2 so...the fast 102 was a significant improvement over the stocker. I wouldnt get one if I had an ls3 though.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 PM
FRChilln
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like you're looking for a Katech 116 Cam.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 PM
09REAPER
Advanced

Originally Posted by FRChilln
Sounds like you're looking for a Katech 116 Cam.
What's the katech 116 cam? Like sound performance? Etc..?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: doing a cam....