C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'12 GS w/ HUD - Windshield Crack questions - ATL

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 03:04 PM
nickmenow
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '12 GS w/ HUD - Windshield Crack questions - ATL

I'm in ATL w/ a '12 GS w/ HUD

I have a huge crack from a rock I picked up. I need to replace the windshield.

Can anyone let me know of a mobile replacement company in ATL that you'd recommend? (Don't want to leave it with pin heads at a dealership or body shop)

What is other's comments on what to look out for?

What is a round about price? (Statefarm is my ins. so I am covered)

Thank you for your advice,

Nick
Old 11-16-2012, 03:28 PM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

I busted the windshild on my '12 on the way home from the dealer.

I have State Farm and it was covered 100%; I didn't pay a dime. I'm not sure whether that is a State Farm thing or an SC state law thing.

After research I went with Safelite and have nothing to complain about, from everything I can see they did a fine job.

There are apparently four different windshields: with and without HUD, and with/without "GPS". The "GPS" they will ask you about is the Onstar/XM box or whatever it is to the right of the rearview mirror. Since my 1LT base coupe has it I assume they all do. Repeat, it does NOT matter whether your car has Nav, that is not what they are asking about when they ask you about "GPS". I believe you want the windshield for BOTH HUD and GPS.

Good luck.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:33 PM
nickmenow
Instructor

Originally Posted by ny32182
I busted the windshild on my '12 on the way home from the dealer.

I have State Farm and it was covered 100%; I didn't pay a dime. I'm not sure whether that is a State Farm thing or an SC state law thing.

After research I went with Safelite and have nothing to complain about, from everything I can see they did a fine job.

There are apparently four different windshields: with and without HUD, and with/without "GPS". The "GPS" they will ask you about is the Onstar/XM box or whatever it is to the right of the rearview mirror. Since my 1LT base coupe has it I assume they all do. Repeat, it does NOT matter whether your car has Nav, that is not what they are asking about when they ask you about "GPS". I believe you want the windshield for BOTH HUD and GPS.

Good luck.
Awesome info. I have a 2LT with Navi (never use it...lol) and I do have "the black box" to the right of the RV Mirror.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:47 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just let the insurance company deal with it. If safelite does it, make sure the rearview mirror isn't loose.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 PM
The Director
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've used Safelite in Atlanta a number of times - including the HUD windshield on my C5. Always did an awesome job. I hihgly recommend them.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:56 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

The HUD windshield is over $1000 for whatever reason
Old 11-17-2012, 06:02 PM
nickmenow
Instructor

Looks like Safelite is the way to go. Their online estimate shows $719.95 + taxes, on site fee, disposal fee.

Do they use OEM glass or is it "like OEM" glass?
Old 11-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Not sure how much difference there is between C5 windshield mounting and sealing and C6 windshield mounting and sealing but make sure these guys know how to get the installation sealed correctly so you don't get leaks. My C5Z had leaks around the side windows since all that weather strip had to come out to replace the windshield. Took over a year to get solved with State Farm telling me to take it to somebody else to get redone and they would recover the money from the previous company. Dealer body shop ran the redo. Subcontracted glass install and then had their Corvette body guy with 30 years experience make sure the side weatherstrips were sealed properly. Turned out neither glass shop understood there was a special sealer that had to be used. Just couldn't throw in a bunch of stuff you get at the autoparts store.

You may or may not get the same part number glass. Most of the companies get their glass from the same place and on my C5 they had to get it from GM Parts who contracted with different manufacturers over the years to make the glass. Glass was correct to GM standards but not the same part number.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 11-17-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:51 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

disposal fee. tell them to leave out by the road for trash day

Get notified of new replies

To '12 GS w/ HUD - Windshield Crack questions - ATL

Quick Reply: '12 GS w/ HUD - Windshield Crack questions - ATL