C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird smell...could it be the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Weird smell...could it be the clutch?

My '05 MN6 has about 23k miles on it and is running great and shifting fine but I'm noticing a hot acrid smell lately after driving it. I am not seeing any fluids leaks onto hot surfaces.

I am a very experienced manual driver and am sure I'm not overworking the clutch but I just can't imagine where else this smell is coming from.

I've consistently and carefully changed out the clutch fluid using the Ranger method. I've always used the same GM DOT4 clutch fluid.

Any thoughts about this? Is it normal or abnormal and does anyone else experience this?

Last edited by BlueOx; 11-08-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 AM
tclhb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you had a tune? I noticed this after my cooling fan was set more aggressively. I don't know if its the fan motor itself, or the connector that some people have had trouble with. My tune was a year ago, and thus far the smell is not accompanied by any other symptoms. I notice it about once a week.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:25 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Clutches smell just like burning brakes when they get hot...if that is the smell that you are getting.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:09 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by tclhb
Have you had a tune? I noticed this after my cooling fan was set more aggressively. I don't know if its the fan motor itself, or the connector that some people have had trouble with. My tune was a year ago, and thus far the smell is not accompanied by any other symptoms. I notice it about once a week.
No, no tune.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by cclive
Clutches smell just like burning brakes when they get hot...if that is the smell that you are getting.
I haven't been on the brakes much...just normal driving. That is what is so confusing. It just started happening about a month or so ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird smell...could it be the clutch?

Quick Reply: Weird smell...could it be the clutch?